• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

NoMorePacers' occasional rambles

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoMorePacers

Established Member
Alright, after reading another user's trip report thread (cactustwirly's to be specific ;)), I got inspired to make my own thread, about my occasional trips on the railway. I don't get out much (my family don't have money to do it and my mother doesn't yet want me to go out on my own - that may change soon though), but I try to take pictures when I do, and I'll document them here.

So without further ado, I shall start with:

Edinburgh 8/7/19

My school had exams in May, and as a reward for doing well, my mum gave me a choice of going to London, or to Edinburgh. As I'd already been to the former twice last year, and I hadn't been north of York before, I decided to go to Edinburgh.

After managing to get tickets from Hull for just £50 through a loophole, I set off at 6am. I got to Hull station at 6:30, bought a breakfast baguette from Greggs and headed to the platforms. Since my train to York wasn't due to leave until 7:06, I had some time to kill. I saw 800110 in Platform 7 on the Hull Executive to London, and I grabbed a photo of it:
Nnatc80.jpg

https://imgur.com/Nnatc80

Eventually I was able to board my train to York and unfortunately it threw up a Pacer. 142087 took me to my connection point to York, calling at all stations, and this let me clear Ulleskelf, as I do not remember stopping there before, unlike the other stations.
V4rxqKo.jpg

https://imgur.com/V4rxqKo

byvdLtt.jpg

https://imgur.com/byvdLtt

This particular 142 is one of the ex-Northern Spirit ones - and in my opinion the seats are bloody awful. My rear end started feeling painful after Selby, and I felt the seat sliding beneath me as we moved.

I arrived at York and I had half an hour of connection time before my train to Edinburgh arrived. I used this opportunity to go to the gentleman's room, but I also got a few pictures. I caught 91120 heading on a southbound service to King's Cross, and 68032 "Destroyer" in the siding next to Platform 2.

77unXkj.jpg

https://imgur.com/77unXkj

sSgY2az.jpg

https://imgur.com/sSgY2az

I headed to Platform 9 to catch my train to Edinburgh, formed of 91127 + 82209, calling at Darlington, Newcastle and Berwick-upon-Tweed on the way. This was my first Intercity 225 ride, sat in an airline seat, and I actually like them. The seats are comfy, there's decent space and feeling in them, and they ride is OK (if a little bumpy) and I got to ride on the scenic half of the ECML.

Apologies for the poor photo-taking:
C8RYB2I.jpg

https://imgur.com/C8RYB2I

I arrived at Edinburgh and went around - it's a really nice place, although it was busy with tourists, and I had haggis, which I enjoyed, and the time went by, and I ended up trainspotting at Princes Street Gardens for 15 minutes, until it was time to go back to Waverley. I also took a photo of a tram, sadly without riding one. :(
nS2XEgQ.jpg

https://imgur.com/nS2XEgQ

My train left at 5pm, formed of 91120 (the same train I saw at York in the morning) and 82200, which called at Alnmouth, Newcastle, Durham, Darlington and York before getting off at Doncaster for my connection home, and this time I was sat in a table seat. I much prefer the airline seats to the table seats, as for someone who is quite tall even at my age (I'm at if not over 6 feet tall), and after Newcastle I started feeling quite badly cramped. It didn't help that the person sat opposite me who got on at Darlington put their bag on the floor! Anyway, it also allowed me to clear my final stretch of the main ECML, from Hambleton Junction to Temple Hirst Junction, and I managed to clear all 393 miles of route from London King's Cross to Edinburgh Waverley today.

YK7XJQy.jpg

https://imgur.com/YK7XJQy

I got off at Doncaster on Platform 1, and my train to Hull was already in Platform 4, so I ran as fast as I could and made it onto the Northern service home. 170454 was the unit taking me home, and it was rare in that it went via Temple Hirst and Selby, when all other Northern trains from Doncaster go via Goole. This particular unit was still in ex-Scotrail trim, and I made use of the former first class section (still with functioning recliners) on my way home. 170s are nice units, and it felt really smooth going at 100mph and over Staddlethorpe Junction at full speed, although the interior was quite tatty. I arrived in Hull at 5 to 9, and got home half an hour later.

A5qYrC3.jpg

https://imgur.com/A5qYrC3

Overall, it was a good day, and I really enjoyed seeing Edinburgh. I would probably do it again if I had the chance.

I probably won't post again on here in a while, but since I'm on my summer holiday, and I can get a West Yorkshire Day Rover for less than £4, would it be worthwhile going there and using it? I want to do it, but I'll have to negotiate with my parents on going by myself and buying tickets to get from Hull to West Yorkshire. I could also buy an East Yorkshire Round Robin for about £13, but there's less available track than West Yorkshire. What should I do?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hardcastle

Fantastic write up & pictures it appears you enjoyed your trip. Here`s to more happy adventures in the future.

xotGD

Established Member
Looks like you had a good day out there!

I would say definitely go for the day in West Yorkshire. Lots of routes to cover and a variety of trains to travel on. Just a pity that the 68s aren't working on TPE services yet.

NoMorePacers

Established Member
It's worth mentioning that while waiting at Waverley, I caught a peak-hour CrossCountry service leaving towards Bristol formed of just a single 220 unit! It sums them up pretty nicely.

NoMorePacers

Established Member
It's been a month since I've been on a train, I'm aware, but I have a little short trip that I did yesterday to write about.

Scarborough 3/8/19

Found a £14 return ticket to Scarborough for me and my family, so I decided to go there (nice seaside as well).

Headed off to the station on the bus, with a rare Stagecoach Pointer Dart on my route. The Allison gearbox sounded nice but the seats were absolutely awful. My rear hurt after just 5 minutes, if that. Arriving at the station, I was pleasantly surprised to see that my service was formed of winner 170477, where up to that point I believed that Turbostars had only been cleared as far north as Bridlington. Thus I enjoyed a comfortable journey, with the nice seats and the relatively smooth and quiet ride.
IMG_0581.JPG

When at Scarborough I went to the seaside, and had the customary fish and chips and ice cream, and after hanging out on the sand (and passing the time by watching Hell's Kitchen videos), went to the station to head home. After watching an unknown TPE Class 185 departing for Liverpool, I waited for 20 minutes before my train to Hull arrived, formed of winner 155346. It was loud when compared to the 170 I had on the way up, but the Chapman seats were still fairly comfortable. It was quiet up until about Driffield, where the train was full and standing all the way down to Hull, which was surprising for this line. Apparently there was some sort of event on.

IMG_0582.JPG

Well, it was a decent trip overall, if a little short, and for a decent price as well. To be honest, I forgot about the other things (such as the West Yorkshire Rover) but I'm hoping to get it done at some point at least. Well, I don't actually know how to close this off, so I'll just do it now.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Certainly seeing lots of love for the 170s on the forum lately! Not sure why!

A nice little adventure though, and yay to someone else who likes Hell's Kitchen! :D

Kite159

Veteran Member
Certainly seeing lots of love for the 170s on the forum lately! Not sure why!

A nice little adventure though, and yay to someone else who likes Hell's Kitchen! :D

Especially for you :)

IMG_20190727_144310890_HDR.jpg

(Although in fairness, they are more suited for the Sheffield - Bridlington semi-fasts services than Harrogate stoppers!)

NoMorePacers

Established Member
I can confirm that I have booked tickets to Leeds from TPE for Thursday, so I'm doing the West Yorkshire DaySaver (as it's recently been renamed to) trip then. I'm looking forward to it (first trip for the sole purpose of nerding over/riding trains, and on my own, as opposed to a family trip). :D

PeterY

Established Member
A great write up and great photos.
I haven't done as many rail trips this year, compared to last year, I'm at the other end of the spectrum (senior rail card:oops::oops:)

NoMorePacers

Established Member
A great write up and great photos.
I haven't done as many rail trips this year, compared to last year, I'm at the other end of the spectrum (senior rail card:oops::oops:)
Thanks for the kind words from you and everyone else up thread I haven't yet acknowledged (I apologise)!

Admittedly I persuaded my mother to buy a Family & Friends Railcard earlier this year, and it has paid off the £30 it cost for sure. What discount does a Senior Railcard offer?

Kite159

Veteran Member
Have a good trip to West Yorkshire :)

I believe a Senior Railcard offers the same level of discounts as the other railcards with some restrictions for morning peak within the old Network South East area

NoMorePacers

Established Member
Here we go; the first trip specifically designed to ride trains. I got quite a fair bit done today!

West Yorkshire DaySaver 15/8/19

I booked my tickets to Leeds on Monday and boarded the 08:40 TransPennine Express service to there, formed of winner 185132.
IMG_0584.JPG

Then I went to the ticket office and bought a West Yorkshire DaySaver for just £3.90! After that, I was going to catch an LNER service down to Wakefield, formed with 91113, but I missed it unfortunately. I got a picture of it though.
IMG_0585.JPG

I then intended to board 333003 to Skipton, before seeing a 322 arrive heading to Ilkley, and deciding to get on that instead.
IMG_0586.JPG
IMG_0590.JPG

Winner 322483 took me to Ilkley, and my god, the motor sounds were absolutely godly. With all of the windows open, plus what sounded like a wheel flat, it was extremely loud. I recorded the journey from Guiseley to Menston, although the best part of the journey for motor sounds was to the former from Leeds.

It also came with a complimentary FirstGroup safety notice.
IMG_0587.JPG

I got off at Ilkley, and after filming the 322's departure, here:

I had 20 minutes to kill, before my train to Bradford Forster Square arrived, so I popped into the M&S adjacent to the station and bought some macaroons as a snack, which were very tasty. My train then arrived, which was formed of refurbished winner 333001. I would describe the 333s as being functional, but rather dull and uninspiring. I prefer the 321/322s over them in all honesty.
ROqzq5N.jpg

rXRsUJ3.jpg

I then ran over to the train to Leeds, being unrefurbished winner 333007. I then spotted a Skipton-Leeds service that arrived a few minutes after the Bradford train at Shipley, so I got off there and hoped for a 321/322. Instead I got another 333, unrefurbished winner 333004, which took me to Leeds.
SdcC55c.jpg

I did film 322483, the same train that took me to Ilkley earlier, departing towards Skipton:

I then spotted an Intercity 225 in Platform 6 heading to London, so I headed over to that and took winners 91107 + 82204 to Wakefield Westgate, the locomotive being named "Skyfall 007".
qDEDQ9N.jpg

I then hung around a bit, and filmed both 331108 (with it's impressive acceleration) and a HST here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXGEIBbet6A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ojp0b4e92Rg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zh3zhrZEro

bought lunch at Westgate from Costa and headed to the other platform to see a CrossCountry service, formed of an unknown 220, arrive, but I decided against boarding due to the fact that it was busy. I then caught new 800109 departing towards London, while my train to Leeds, formed of winner 322484, arrived.
PvJE6gj.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-43wOMFYI4
t64WlKN.jpg

The 322 gave more good motor noises, which I have some recording of:

I arrived in Leeds, and got myself onto an LNER Azuma, winner 800102 to Wakefield. I am honestly mixed about these units - they have good legroom in the airline seats, have a decent interior "feel" and have good acceleration, but the seats made me feel uncomfortable on this 10-15 journey, which isn't a good sign.
7yoiteG.jpg

The train to Leeds soon arrived, formed of winner 331108. I really like the 331s - they have amazing acceleration, great interior feel and ambience, nice environment, nice sound, good passenger information, and 2+2 seats with tables, although the only complaint I have is the choice of Fainsa ironing boards, which otherwise spoil what is a fantastic EMU and probably my favourite one (although the 321/322s have the best sounds ;) ).
jZsFWsm.jpg

I arrived at Leeds with the intention of catching a CrossCountry service back down to Wakefield, but it closed its doors before I could get on board. I instead decided to film 221133 departing the station.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU-iGCnfARs

I was dithering around Leeds for some time, initially intending to board a pair of 153s, but I missed them due to trying to get the XC service. I then made the decision to board the service to Lincoln as far as Wakefield Kirkgate. It was formed of winner 150214, in the wonderful Bentham Line Dementia Friendly livery, although the unit was rather less wonderful, being noisy, rattly and with low-backed low legroom seating.
qOFC4H0.jpg

I got off at Kirkgate, and saw 158848 and 144019 come and go.
7ja7yb9.jpg

LYLw87v.jpg

I then got winner 144016 to Wakefield Westgate, getting off there in hope of getting something better to Leeds.
dHJ2OtQ.jpg

Instead I got winner 142014, complete with it's original bus bench seating to Leeds, which was fun.
xmg2y5j.jpg

When I got to Leeds I didn't have time to really do anything, so I just waited for my train home, formed of winner 185125, to cap off a long and fun day.
5PjVa3y.jpg

I initially had a few doubts, but I enjoyed the day immensely and certainly would do it, and other rovers again.

Last edited:

NoMorePacers

Established Member
My oh my, hasn't it been a while? I have about 2 months of trips to add (and there's been plenty I will say), and I shall write them up gradually. I'll gather my material and memories up soon and put it together.

NoMorePacers

Established Member
I've been a bit (ok that's a bit of an understatement, very) lazy so I haven't bothered to update this thread in over a year, so here it is. I've done a lot since then, and if you want a summary then you can look at my Railmiles account here: https://nomorepacers.railmiles.me/

Nevertheless I've written out each trip in some detail (it's in a Pastebin because it breaks the forum character limit :lol:). I'm not gonna bother with pictures like I did initially.

So, what does 2021 entail for me personally? Well, I don't really know. I'm hoping that I can get out again to put it bluntly. I've had a multi-day South Wales trip planned since April last year, so I'm hoping I can do it at the end of March. I also have another East Midlands visit planned for around that time so I'm hoping that can be done as well. I'll probably do a few trips in the summer and the autumn. Overall, I'm just hopeful that this year will allow for more places to be visited than last year to be honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.