• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Non-compulsory ICE reservations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robinson

Hi all.

This summer I'll be making some journeys in Germany on some of the ICE lines using dirt cheap point-to-point fares. My question is: for some of these journeys I have taken up an optional seat reservation - but since the reservation was optional, do I have the freedom to choose a different seat if I find a better one when I get on?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

lemonic

Enjoy, ICE trains are IMO some of the best trains in Europe. My friend described 2nd class on an ICE3 as comparable to 1st class on many other trains.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Having experienced two rides on ICE3 trains in April, I can happily confirm that they are brilliant trains to travel on!

WestCoast

Established Member
Yes, there's no obligation to sit in your reserved seat, although if the train is busy it is of course a good idea. Reservations on DB trains are always clear (electronic displays on ICEs), and show where the seat is reserved to/from. The reservation usually disappears on the ICEs about 15 minutes after leaving the origin of the reservation (a very good idea!).

starrymarkb

Established Member
Is it me or have the ICE1's had their accommodation downgraded? The one I had last week wasn't as nice as I remember them being (and they didn't compare well with the ICE-T on the return)

blackfive460

Watch out for seats saying "Gelegentlich Reserviert" which IIRC are available to the equivalent of "frequent flyers" without a reservation. But generally you should have no problem.
You should also watch out for displays showing 'ggf. reserviert' (ggf = gegebenenfalls = if required). These indicate seats that may remain free but are those which can be reserved during the journey. Sit in one of those and someone may turn up at a later stop having reserved it while the train was enroute.

cd0282

living in Germany, I've never had problems sitting in different seats. No one has ever 'compared' seat to what's on my ticket, but like someone said above, if it's a busy service, do sit in it.

Robinson

Just one other question actually - on the legs where I wasn't offered a reservation, how easy is it likely to be to get a seat on the ICE (using my get-there-early tactic perfected in Britain)?

The unreserved legs are from Berlin to Copenhagen (ICE 35) and on the return, from Hamburg to Munich (ICE 883)...

starrymarkb

Established Member
Just one other question actually - on the legs where I wasn't offered a reservation, how easy is it likely to be to get a seat on the ICE (using my get-there-early tactic perfected in Britain)?

The unreserved legs are from Berlin to Copenhagen (ICE 35) and on the return, from Hamburg to Munich (ICE 883)...

The ICE from Berlin to Copenhagen will be a 4 Car ICE-TD (Think Voyager) to go on the ferry - I believe it runs as a Double set (8 car) to Hamburg but I'd suggest reserving if you can.

Veteran Member
Despite their length (an ICE-1 with 14 cars) trains on the North-south route are pretty well loaded in my experience. I'd guess ICE 883 will be busy to start with but thin out later - but if you are travelling Friday or Sunday I'd get a reservation, simply because it's a long run.

And then there's all the teenage railfans travelling with their summer Deutschlandpasses who won't bother to reserve.... or on the Copenhagen train its Inter-Railers I'd guess

sheff1

Established Member
Which day are you travelling ? I would expect ICE883 on a Friday to be absolutely rammed.

Robinson

ICE883 is on a Tuesday. However, ICE35 is on a Friday. I just tried to reload the bookings on My Bahn but can find no way to retrospectively reserve seats...

gordonthemoron

Established Member
The ICE35 will be rammed, get a reservation. Also, the buffet on the ICE-TD is quite poor (i.e. really small) with either no or very little seating

blackfive460

ICE883 is on a Tuesday. However, ICE35 is on a Friday. I just tried to reload the bookings on My Bahn but can find no way to retrospectively reserve seats...

That may be because your journey is 'international'. I've always been told that you can only reserve on-line or at an ticket machine for international journeys if buying a ticket.
You have two options, one is to 'phone DB's UK travel center (0871 880 8066 is the published number but I've used 020 8339 4750 with no problems) but if you are going to be over there for a few days before your journey I'd wait until you get there then call in at a Reisezentrum where you can get a reservation over the counter for any train.

As posted above; while there is a restaurant on the ferry, it isn't cheap and you only have 45 minutes. Buy something before hand would be my preferred option!

45 mins is plenty of time to get a decent meal in the restaurant on the ferry: they have a self-service bit and, provided the ferry is fairly full, an at seat section as well. Definitely better than the ICE catering on the TD sets, which is a bit sparse.

starrymarkb

Established Member
I guess I'll be looking out for a Reisezentrum at some stage beforehand in that case...

Most large stations have one :)

Also thinking, if you are departing from Berlin it is very hard to get their early with services on the Stadtbahn, the train will be prepped in the depot before entering service at the Ostbahnhof, typical dwell is about 2-3 minutes!

gordonthemoron

Established Member
45 mins is plenty of time to get a decent meal in the restaurant on the ferry: they have a self-service bit and, provided the ferry is fairly full, an at seat section as well. Definitely better than the ICE catering on the TD sets, which is a bit sparse.

IIRC the ICE-TD buffet has a stand up table only.

As for the ferry, I was just glad to get off the crowded ICE, The return on an IC3 was even worse. Sleeper from Hamburg or Berlin via Malmo was much better

Status
Not open for further replies.