• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Non - Win NT users

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom B

Established Member
Nick W said:
Am I the only user who dislikes windows?

I use Mac OS X :) way ahead of windows.

Mac OS X runs on Darwin, so much better than dos...

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Of course not, you've possibly not seen my more vitriolic posts about Windoze. I use Windoze for BVE development work, sending stuff to school (because they've still not made their systems compatible with other OSs...) and storing photos, and Linux for most other stuff.

Port BVE4 to Linux and I'll wipe Windoze from my HDD ;).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Z12XE

Nick W said:
Am I the only user who dislikes windows?

I'm not too keen on it.

I don't hate it as such but it's the way that Microsoft go about their business that I don't like, plus I'm not to keen on the fact that you have to pay them money to lease a copy of their software. And if you purchase a computer from most retailers, you'll have to pay this tax regardless of whether you want to use the OS supplied or not. (although this is also something I'd never do, self build is a lot more suitable for me because that way I can swap hardware as needed).
MS's latest idea about applications on demand seems to take this lock in to non standard software even further, which is worrying.

The way that the operating system works is poor as well, with everyday applications, such as Internet Explorer running at Kernel Level. If you've ever read the "Why I Hate Microsoft" piece, you'll understand why this is a bad thing. (http://www.vanwensveen.nl/rants/microsoft/IhateMS.html is the link for anyone who's interested)

At the moment I'm using KDE 3.5 on top of OpenSuse 10.0 which is suitable for what I need it for, but any version of Linux is not for everyone. I try not to be one of these people who says to anyone "use a proper operating system"

Its nice to know that people will give OSS a try though especially as most people thing PC (or even computer) automatically = Windows.

Tom B

Established Member
156418 said:
Its nice to know that people will give OSS a try though especially as most people thing PC (or even computer) automatically = Windows.

That is the major hurdle which must be crossed. Too many people that Windows is the only OS, to write a letter on a computer you must use Word, to send email you need Outlook and to browse the internet you need IE. They then claim there's no point in changing because "it does what I want". Yes - IE displays web pages, but it's about as secure as a slice of swiss cheese.

As for Windoze Vista and Office 12.... uck. The UI seems aimed at three year olds.

Status
Not open for further replies.