• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

North East Round Robin

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModernRailways

Established Member
Hello all,
I'm looking at getting a North East Round Robin to go between Newcastle and York and do a few return trips during the diverts. I am just curious as to whether you are actually able to do a few return trips via the same section of line and even during diversions when East Coast will be going via Sunderland and Eaglescliffe.
http://www.railrover.org/pages/north-east-round-robin.html
Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
This is a source of confusion, the general consensus is that the term "Round Robin" is a marketing term, but they are still Day Rangers with the same validty as any other Day Ranger.

See:

(There are other Round Robin threads - you can find them by doing an advanced search for threads containing round robin in the title - but the ones above discuss your specific question)

ModernRailways

Established Member
Cheers Yorkie!

I've done one before which a XC guard said you can only go one way, but I thought it was a 'go anywhere'.

BillyBoy

This forum is excellent. There is so much to learn. You have just saved me the best part of £20. Thank you.
I need a (day, open, off-peak) return for next Thursday from SKI to NCL. I usually buy my tickets on the EC website and this only shows a SVR at £63.60.
Reading this thread I have discovered the NE Round Robin and been on the NRE website. And it did indeed suggest the Round Robin at £44.
Also it is on XC trains LDS to NCL and NCL back to LDS so not round at all. Perhaps I should take a print of the itinerary in case I encounter the same guard as ModernRailways above!

breadfan

This forum is excellent. There is so much to learn. You have just saved me the best part of £20. Thank you.
I need a (day, open, off-peak) return for next Thursday from SKI to NCL. I usually buy my tickets on the EC website and this only shows a SVR at £63.60.
Reading this thread I have discovered the NE Round Robin and been on the NRE website. And it did indeed suggest the Round Robin at £44.
Also it is on XC trains LDS to NCL and NCL back to LDS so not round at all. Perhaps I should take a print of the itinerary in case I encounter the same guard as ModernRailways above!

A guard on an XC service between Stoke and Man Picc did not like my Cheshire Day Ranger recently. He didn't think it was valid between the two stations. I showed him the leaflet with the map on, which he still didn't trust saying it was only produced by Northern and he would have to make a phone call to find out if it was valid.

Part of me thinks his eye for the correct ticket is commendable but part of me thinks he should know what tickets are valid on his train.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
The Manual says it is valid for one circular journey in either direction, which would indicate to me that it is not valid to double back as you describe.

BillyBoy

The Manual says it is valid for one circular journey in either direction, which would indicate to me that it is not valid to double back as you describe.

NRE appears to say that it is valid, please see attached. Am I right in thinking that The Manual is not in the public domain so I do not have access to it?

Attachments

• NERR.jpg
    NERR.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

barrykas

Established Member
But if you look elsewhere on NRE it agrees with The Manual!

NRE Website said:
One day ticket offering a circular journey on the East Coast Main Line, the scenic Settle & Carlisle line and via between Leeds and york via Harrogate

Oscar

Fares Advisor
These tickets are issued as "One Day Rangers", suggesting that they are valid to travel on the same route twice. In any case, the situation is not clear and has been discussed at length previously.

BillyBoy

Northern Rail's excellent customer service to the rescue then. I emailed them last night to see if my trip to Newcastle was valid and today got this reply:

"The Round Robin is available in either direction so there are no restrictions on which route you can take."

ModernRailways

Established Member

Your welcome! I had a fairly similar trip when I had the experience with XC.

But if you look elsewhere on NRE it agrees with The Manual!

Like said, the Manual isn't publicly available.

Northern Rail's excellent customer service to the rescue then. I emailed them last night to see if my trip to Newcastle was valid and today got this reply:

"The Round Robin is available in either direction so there are no restrictions on which route you can take."

But you can you double back on a route already taken like a rover allows? This reply seems a bit sketchy to me, saying it is valid in either direction, but doesn't say whether you can return along an already traveled section.

Status
Not open for further replies.