• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

North London Line freight train regulation policy.

Class15

On Moderation
Hi all,

This has come to my attention recently, but frequently signallers on the North London Line are using the goods loops to - far from recessing freight trains - allow freight trains to overtake passenger trains. For example, 4L90 Trafford Park to Felixstowe was allowed to overtake 2L60, a busy evening passenger service, despite only being 25 minutes late and having a booked stop in Ipswich Yard of well above that. I am curious to know why this is done, and what the rules are behind it. The freight would have been on time even if it had not overtaken the passenger service, due to the 90 min layover at Ipswich Yard. Attached is a screenshot of the incident I am referring to.

Thanks in advance for any info! Class15

Attachments

• IMG_6634.jpeg
    IMG_6634.jpeg
    538.6 KB · Views: 209
Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Somewhere

Freight trains cross many different regions, more so than the little Overground trains they share the North London Line with, and will have a much bigger impact

Established Member
Freight trains cross many different regions, more so than the little Overground trains they share the North London Line with, and will have a much bigger impact
Citation needed!

Class15

On Moderation
I also struggle to see the impact of letting a freight overtake a passenger. The freight was well behind the passenger train so it wouldn’t have made a significant difference.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
In this case, I suspect that it was an attempt to get it to drop into the next standard path on the GEML, therby avoiding causing delay there. It nearly worked.

Mr. SW

Is it something to do with headway, scheduling and timing? Having the freight go ahead would possibly mean a good clean run to Stratford for handover to the mainline rather than being behind the stop/start of the passenger. Also if the freight waited enough time for a through run after the stopper, wouldn't it be further delayed by the next service? So having the freight run first, you may delay the stopper by a few minutes, but that would be a small price to pay, and possibly recoverable by sharp driving and layover at Stratford. So it would be very much a case of fitting the freight between the passenger services by tweaking the schedules of the relatively fast and powerful EMUs rather than the heavier and slower accelerating freights.

Class 170101

Established Member
The risk is if 4L90 misses its slot on the GEML which is about 19:45 and following the Colchester Town service from Stratford it either runs late delaying the Braintree, Southend and then Norwich behind it, so a trail of delays in its wake but if its held to follow 2L60 whilst it would meet the next slot on the GEML behind the slow Ipswich, that slot is occupied by GBRF 4L18/4L62, so potentially the next slot at Stratford is 60 mins later and so would need to be held at Wembley or Camden to allow 4L18/4L62 to pass ahead if there is room which there certainly isn't at Stratford.

Could bust driver's hours or miss its slot at port. Lots of variables to consider.

cockneyviking

4L90 is booked in front of 2L60 even if it's running late, as mentioned it's to keep it near to schedule on the GEML

Class15

On Moderation
The risk is if 4L90 misses its slot on the GEML which is about 19:45 and following the Colchester Town service from Stratford it either runs late delaying the Braintree, Southend and then Norwich behind it, so a trail of delays in its wake but if its held to follow 2L60 whilst it would meet the next slot on the GEML behind the slow Ipswich, that slot is occupied by GBRF 4L18/4L62, so potentially the next slot at Stratford is 60 mins later and so would need to be held at Wembley or Camden to allow 4L18/4L62 to pass ahead if there is room which there certainly isn't at Stratford.

Could bust driver's hours or miss its slot at port. Lots of variables to consider.
“Slot at port” - it’s actually got 2hr 25min at Ipswich Yard and was 66 hauled on this day so there wasn’t even any need to change locos there. I don’t get the problem with holding it behind the passenger service.

Somewhere

Could be something to do with the time of year. Maybe there's a policy to avoid bringing freight trains to a stand in case they cannot get going again. I'm not familiar with the North London Line, so don't know what the gradients are like, but there is such a policy on the West London Line

66701GBRF

If they were quick enough they could have cancelled the route for 4L90 without it seeing a change of aspect.

Somewhere

Freights also take longer to slow down, longer to accelerate, and are physically longer, so take longer to clear junctions and loops may not be long enough either

Jobi-wan

“Slot at port” - it’s actually got 2hr 25min at Ipswich Yard and was 66 hauled on this day so there wasn’t even any need to change locos there. I don’t get the problem with holding it behind the passenger service.
There are so many variables here. 4L90 usually has to have a loco change due to other workings. If its got 1/4 tank of fuel its not going to make it to the port and then to Manchester. Fresh, full loco... no problem. The loco might have even needed an A exam when it got to ipswich.

That working (wembley to ipswich) is at the back end of a long diagram. I'd be dumping the train somewhere if it were any later than 60 mins as I'd be busting my hours, which is a very real possibility if, like somebody else has mentioned, you've got 2 other freights and a few passengers to stay in path.

For the sake of a few minutes, which the passenger trains can easily make up, it's absolutely not worth potentially causing major problems on other parts of the network.

Class15

On Moderation
There are so many variables here. 4L90 usually has to have a loco change due to other workings. If its got 1/4 tank of fuel its not going to make it to the port and then to Manchester. Fresh, full loco... no problem. The loco might have even needed an A exam when it got to ipswich.
Thanks for the comprehensive answer, very helpful.
That working (wembley to ipswich) is at the back end of a long diagram. I'd be dumping the train somewhere if it were any later than 60 mins as I'd be busting my hours, which is a very real possibility if, like somebody else has mentioned, you've got 2 other freights and a few passengers to stay in path.

For the sake of a few minutes, which the passenger trains can easily make up, it's absolutely not worth potentially causing major problems on other parts of the network.
LO trains have incredibly tight schedules and it’s very difficult to make up time (even to keep time) and if running late they either have to turnaround early or skip stations… hardly an ideal situation. I guess it’s all to find a balance.