• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

North Sheen

Basil Jet

On Moderation
This has to be one of the most inexplicably inconvenient stations I've ever seen. From the footbridge the Up line looks seriously curved to get around the island platform - since most of the trains through here don't stop, is there much of a speed restriction?

An old video on Youtube shows that the footbridge used to link both sides of the level crossing to the island platform, but now the southern side path is gone, along with half of the footbridge. I presume it became unsafe, but instead of replacing that half they have built a new footbridge to the west of the level crossing, giving a ludicrously circuitous route between the platforms and the south side when the crossing is shut.

Given how much quieter it is than every other station in the area, despite there being a large number of houses that have it as nearest station, I can't help thinking that poor access is throttling usage. I'm pretty sure the benefit-cost equation of straightening the tracks and adding outside platforms nearer to the level crossing will not stack up, but is there a reason why it could not be done - why was the station an island in the first place? There is no architecture worth preserving on the station, and the access is menacing after dark.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
It’s the same speed (60 mph) through both platforms, down trains will probably be slowing for the even lower PSR at Richmond, 45 mph.

NSE

Established Member
Island platforms are not uncommon on that part of the South Western network, North Sheen, Motspur Park, Stoneleigh, Hinchley Wood off the top of my head are all examples.

London Trains

I'm moving far into the realms of speculation now, but I wonder if it would be an improvement if North Sheen was closed entirely and replaced with a station on the District Line/Overground alongside the new development on the Homebase site.

Dstock7080

Established Member
Quite a curve on that line and businesses alongside Dee Road/ Bardolph Road would need relocation.