• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

North should "take control" of transport

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
North should "take control" of transport to improve it.

Yes, Mr Grayling has basically said that.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41020391

The north of England's leaders should "take control" of their own transport networks, Chris Grayling has said.

Writing in the Yorkshire Post, the transport secretary said: "The success of northern transport depends on the North itself."

The article comes ahead of a transport summit in the region to be attended by local leaders and businesses.

Mayor of Greater Manchester Andy Burnham said the event shows "the patience of people... has run out".

It also comes a day after former Chancellor George Osborne called for "HS3" high-speed rail lines between Liverpool and Hull.

In the article, Mr Grayling said whilst one of his "biggest priorities" was to build transport links in the North, it was down to the region to design and manage them.

He wrote: "It is central government's responsibility to provide funding and a delivery structure that ensures efficiency, value for money and accountability.
"But, beyond this, I want the North to take control"

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Moonshot

Established Member
If it happens, at least we can say decisions are made up North and not from Whitehall. Bring it on.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Writing in the Yorkshire Post, the transport secretary said: "The success of northern transport depends on the North itself." In the article, Mr Grayling said whilst one of his "biggest priorities" was to build transport links in the North, it was down to the region to design and manage them.

Bullpoo

zn1

hey the North is getting is new investment in railways its getting refurbished time and operational proven EMUS in the form of class 319...what are they moaning about, scotrail is getting 321's that are being downgraded to inner suburban 320's.

Moonshot

Established Member
Plenty of works already happening up North.......but surely if TFN want to enhance the rail network up North, then surely it should be down to TFN to raise funds for it , be it locally or from central government grants. And if it wasnt for Brexit...EU funding!!

Moonshot

Established Member
We're talking about Chris Grayling here. Incase you don't know, he's as trustworthy as DJ Killer Keemstar (the internet's chief rat)

Which has nothing to do with a devolved body making transport investment in the North....thats what devolved bodies actually do.

Darandio

Established Member
hey the North is getting is new investment in railways its getting refurbished time and operational proven EMUS in the form of class 319...what are they moaning about, scotrail is getting 321's that are being downgraded to inner suburban 320's.

I can only assume this was a (very poor) attempt at humour.......

Moonshot

Established Member
Surely yhe government of the U.K should be responsible for the entire country?

They are.....but are perfectly entitled to devolve power locally if thats in the best interest of the local people. isnt that what local councils do anyway ?

Moonshot

Established Member
Powers could be devolved but I can see the DfT washing their hands with the north if that happens.

So what.....a common complaint on this forum is that Whitehall investment plans are skewed to the south and south east etc. Devolving to the north would solve that one.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
So what.....a common complaint on this forum is that Whitehall investment plans are skewed to the south and south east etc. Devolving to the north would solve that one.

It is a good idea, I fully agree that it should happen but I can see it going very wrong. Because the transport will go under the control of local councils. and if there is a line that is under 2 council autorities and 1 council wants it electrified and the other doesn't, we would need alot more Bi-modes. And where are they going to be found? Thats the problem with devolution.

Moonshot

Established Member
It is a good idea, I fully agree that it should happen but I can see it going very wrong. Because the transport will go under the control of local councils. and if there is a line that is under 2 council autorities and 1 council wants it electrified and the other doesn't, we would need alot more Bi-modes. And where are they going to be found? Thats the problem with devolution.

here is something for you to think about......Manchester Airports Group is owned by the 10 local councils of Manchester. The airport itself is going from strength to strength with no interference whatsoever from the DFT.

AFAIK there is a similar proposal for Rail North.

Altfish

ok, north should take ownership, but...

Why then did he announce that the Transpennine electrification will be cut back. Shouldn't that be a decision for the north?

backontrack

Established Member
Awful. Absolutely awful.

Do they care about the North? No. Does the North get enough money to create these projects? No.

Grayling is basically saying: "If we choose not to give you anything, then it's your own fault that you don't get anything."

Why then did he announce that the Transpennine electrification will be cut back. Shouldn't that be a decision for the north?

Exactly. There is only ever money for the South, and the Tories are determined to keep it that way.

Last edited:

Moonshot

Established Member

yes it probably should, but that same decision could also be made by a devolved power called Rail North.

Darandio

Established Member
yes it probably should, but that same decision could also be made by a devolved power called Rail North.

And any devolved power surely still relies on getting funding from the south. He states as much in the article.

We'd still be shafted, they would just try to shift blame.

Moonshot

Established Member
And any devolved power surely still relies on getting funding from the south. He states as much in the article.

We'd still be shafted, they would just try to shift blame.

Nothing to stop a devolved power seeking funding from the private sector.

Moonshot

Established Member
Awful. Absolutely awful.

Do they care about the North? No. Does the North get enough money to create these projects? No.

Grayling is basically saying: "If we choose not to give you anything, then it's your own fault that you don't get anything."

Exactly. There is only ever money for the South, and the Tories are determined to keep it that way.

In my neck of the woods there is plenty of investement happening right now.....at the moment I cant work a train from MCV to Bolton because of the fact the line is being upgraded.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
We're talking about Chris Grayling here. Incase you don't know, he's as trustworthy as DJ Killer Keemstar (the internet's chief rat)

To hammer home just how shady Mr Grayling is, There is a meeting about the north's railways going on today. He claims he wasn't invited. The people leading the meeting say he was and that there was a "mis-communication". I know who I belive in that situation.

Moonshot

Established Member
To hammer home just how shady Mr Grayling is, There is a meeting about the north's railways going on today. He claims he wasn't invited. The people leading the meeting say he was and that there was a "mis-communication". I know who I belive in that situation.

have you got a link to that story ?

Status
Not open for further replies.