• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

North Tyneside Steam Railway: Percy Main

Status
Not open for further replies.

E759

Can you board the train at Percy Main on operating days? I'm visiting 21st February 2019. I've looked on Google Street View and see there is a padlocked gate on Brunton St just after Percy Close which obviously leads to the platform/run-around. Be nice to arrive by Metro and avoid having to take the 19 bus to Middle Engine Lane.

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pdeaves

Established Member
Can you board the train at Percy Main on operating days? I'm visiting 21st February 2019. I've looked on Google Street View and see there is a padlocked gate on Brunton St just after Percy Close which obviously leads to the platform/run-around. Be nice to arrive by Metro and avoid having to take the 19 bus to Middle Engine Lane.
When we visited, we inquired of the railway beforehand and they said, yes, we could board at Percy Main. On the day the gate was locked but we shouted and waved to attract attention and, after some uncertainty, someone unlocked and let us in. We had to pay at the north end and arrange to get let out again on our return. The answer to your question is thus 'maybe'!

E759

Thank you! Think I'll take the bus rather than hang around in the cold :)

trebor79

Established Member
Percy Main is not the nicest place to hang around either.
When we used to top n tail with a steam loco and 03, we detached the 03 at Percy Main (after dragging it back for a year or so wrecked the gearbox). It was meant to stay there until radioed to proceed back to MEL. I used to set off as soon as a could see the train was beyond the old Percy Main platform, and proceed slowly until under the coast road with a clear view of the line ahead.
Hanging about longer than necessary just resulted in hordes of nasty youths all over the line and 03, and with just me I always worried about how I'd get them off so I could safely proceed.

This was over 20 years ago mind, so things may have changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.