• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

North West Rover Ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashworth

Established Member
For the 6th year running (so it must be good) I am staying at friends near Blackpool and will be making full use of a 7 day North West Rover. Even after price rises at £70 for the large area covered it's still great value. For an extra £30 I also usually also get a 7 day Stagecoach North West Explorer bus ticket as that enables me to travel to travel on Stagecoach buses throughout Lancashire, Cumbria and Greater Manchester. Great to use in conjunction with the Rail Rover to reach places not accessible by rail especially in the Lake District.

During the week I always travel quite widely throughout the permitted area and always make at least one trip around the Cumbrian Coast, Settle to Carlisle and Leeds to Lancaster. Over the years I have travelled on most of the lines within the area and visited most of the major towns and cities.

I have also, by buying added on Day Returns explored a few places beyond the boundary, including Lockerbie to Glasgow and Edinburgh, Hexham to Newcastle and Chester to Llandudno.
For this year I have discovered that a Day Return from Chester to Shrewsbury is very cheap at only £8.10 and seems to be valid via Crewe in addition to the more direct route via Wrexham.
Does anyone know of any more bargain price cheap day returns that can be made to explore places beyond the boundary of the North West Rover Area.
I'm mainly thinking of the western side of the country because as I live in Notts I don't really want to be travelling south of Leeds back towards home when I am on holiday near Blackpool!
I have also thought of getting a Manchester Wayfarer ticket one day so that I can explore areas towards Buxton and Macclesfield.

Anyone know of any cheap bargains that I may not be aware of. I was quite amazed at the cheapness of Chester to Shrewsbury considering the distance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nedchester

Established Member
Glasgow on a Lockerbie to Glasgow day return (£16.10) Edinburgh (£15.50) and your train doesn't need to stop at Lockerbie!

tony_mac

Established Member
If you fancy going to the Air Museum at Cosford, a 1st day Return from Ruabon is £13.80 - I would be hoping for a meal from WSMR in that time, but I've never done it myself.

You could combine it with your trip to Shrewsbury; the return trip on WSMR isn't particularly convenient if you just want a short day-trip

jwos

A Ffestiniog round robin is a snip at £25. Would give you a circular trip from Crewe or Chester in either direction to Shrewsbury, then - Machynlleth - Porthmadog, a one way trip on the Ffestiniog Railway, Blaenau - Llandudno Jn and back to start. A lot of ground covered for the price, and a 75% discount for PRIV card folk, making it the bargain of the century for them at £6.25.

Last edited:

madannie77

Carlisle to Dumfries is £5.00 off-peak, and Carlisle to Glasgow via the G & SW is £17.70. If you don't mind using buses the Dumfries & Galloway Day Discoverer is £8.00, valid on all buses in D & G. Last year it was £5.00, and allowed travel to Carlisle and Galashiels. The latest timetables for D & G don't mention it - more good marketing from public transport organisations! - so I am not sure whether the cross-border travel still applies.

Status
Not open for further replies.