• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northallerton - Teeside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ploughman

Established Member
Are there any major reasons for the relatively low speed down this route?

There are a number of AHB crossings but that shouldn't reduce the limit to between 50 + 70.
No major curves.

Had a trundle down this route to Hartlepool and back today.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I know the bits you mean, and there isn't anything obvious that I can think of. Quite frustrating really as GC could be a lot faster on the Northallerton - Sunderland section if the line speed was increased.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Was there not a derailment of a freight service that did quite a bit of damage to the formation/infrastructure

Ploughman

Established Member
A number of years back, mid 90s or so, there was a derailment that dragged across the viaduct at Yarm.
But the 1990 Sect Appendix still gives the same speeds as now. So that would not appear to be the case.
Jointed track would impose a limit of 90.
Personally I think that its down to being considered a freight only route for many years before Transpennine started running from Middlesborough.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I am sure there was one more recently at somewhere like Rounton or Welbury ( used to live there but cant recall the details! FFS)

Status
Not open for further replies.