• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern’s Route With Highest % Load Factor Per Seat

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANorthernGuard

Established Member
2 156s are too long for Ashley, Mobberley (if the signal is at Danger) Plumley, Northwich (if the driver use the stop board) Greenbank, Delamere and Mouldsworth on the down direction. On the UP Mouldsworth Delamere Greenbank Ashley. With the method of Work it takes considerable time to perform long train short platform.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scrapy

Established Member
That board is in the wrong location, as even when it's a 2 car train it means passengers waiting under the shelter have to walk further down the platform.
It's in that location so the gantry signal is prominantly in the drivers view and also so the hump on the platform is in the vorrect place. You could say the signals also in the wrong location but I'm not sure where else it could easily go.

Starmill

Veteran Member
It's in that location so the gantry signal is prominantly in the drivers view and also so the hump on the platform is in the vorrect place. You could say the signals also in the wrong location but I'm not sure where else it could easily go.
It would probably be possible to provide a repeater at cab level and move the hump. But as that would be very tricky and expensive for not much gain...

pemma

Veteran Member

The trains never stopped that far back before the hump was installed. When a double set is used, it means in the Chester direction the hump is lined up with the front doors on the front set but in the Manchester direction it's the front doors on the rear set. There's never any passenger information at other stations saying passengers with mobility issues wishing to alight at Northwich should board a specific carriage.

As there's now more 4 car workings using trains where it's not possible to walk from the rear carriage to the front, either the trains need replacing or the humps need replacing with raised platforms. Probably in an ideal world both would be done.

A station the size of Northwich should also really have a modern footbridge, accessible with the need to climb stairs. I'm sure I've heard it proposed that if that was done the disused platform 3 could be brought back in to service and platform 2 would be mothballed.

Status
Not open for further replies.