• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern - 45 minute commute time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanp

With the 45 minutes commute time, how do they work it out? I live 30 mins away normal time but looking at google maps at peak time with bad city centre traffic it can sometimes be over 45. I’m only 11 miles away from Manchester depot.

There are 2 times on Google maps, at the top it says “45 mins” then at the bottom it says “typically 30 mins to 1 hour 15 mins”.

Can anyone help?

It feels unfair if they reject solely down to city centre traffic at rush hour.

Attachments

• IMG_0262.png
    IMG_0262.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0263.png
    IMG_0263.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 51
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Neptune

Established Member
Unless you’re going for a 9-5 job at Square 1 or one of the stations where it doesn’t apply then it’s unlikely you’ll ever get a shift where travel is in rush hour so it won’t be considered a problem. They’ll look at the average shift time.

Hanp

Unless you’re going for a 9-5 job at Square 1 or one of the stations where it doesn’t apply then it’s unlikely you’ll ever get a shift where travel is in rush hour so it won’t be considered a problem. They’ll look at the average shift time.
Thank you. What do you mean by average shift pattern for working out the commute time?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Journey times, when driving from Cheadle Hulme into Central Manchester, can vary spectacularly depending on the time of day. On a wet, weekday morning, it can soon degenerate into a nose-to-tail crawl, which will take (seemingly) forever when compared with other, quieter times. Similarly in the reverse, homeward direction, it obviously depends on when it is the booked shift ends.

Hanp

Journey times, when driving from Cheadle Hulme into Central Manchester, can vary spectacularly depending on the time of day. On a wet, weekday morning, it can soon degenerate into a nose-to-tail crawl, which will take (seemingly) forever when compared with other, quieter times. Similarly in the reverse, homeward direction, it obviously depends on when it is the booked shift ends.
I’m wondering if this could affect my application. Off peak it’s half an hour

SteveL9

You’ll likely be starting work in the middle of the night or the middle of the day so rush hour travel times shouldn’t be too much of a factor really.

Neptune

Established Member
Thank you. What do you mean by average shift pattern for working out the commute time?
Average time shifts start. Most early shifts are before 0630 and late shifts from lunchtime to early evening. Going home time is irrelevant to be honest.

richfoz84

My commute is 29 miles / 40 mins. It wasn’t an issue. They take google maps average over 3 checks at different times in 1 day

Status
Not open for further replies.