• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Application 'on hold'

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuart100100

Applied for a Customer Service Assistant role with Northern at the beginning of May.

I passed the online assessment a while ago, today I've logged into my account to see the application status as "on hold after new application".

Northern normally send an email after a change of status but so far I've had nothing - is it looking like I've got no further?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Pandemonium in their office with few staff and a huge backlog.

Allegedly. :(

Their website (engage-ATS) is also down, just noticed at 1am.

stuart100100

Well I had an email from Northern this morning.

They are proposing to keep my application on file for the next 6 Months and if any vacancies arrive they will contact me.

Fingers crossed!

stuart100100

Not sure if i've done the right thing now.

A vacancy for a Customer Service Assistant in St Helens came up last Month - i've applied and done the online assessment, however my original application for Merseyside Area Assistants is still on hold, so have I now got two applications on the go?

Also, this is the first time I've had to do the online assessment again, every other time I've applied for a vacany they used the first assessment I did

Geeves

Established Member
Theres three vacancies that need filling on the GPR roster covering despatch at Salford Crescent, Bolton and Vic. One has already gone, two are waiting to be released. Soooo slow.

Established Member
DSI tests are supposed to only be passed once, the system is faulty again.

stuart100100

Well I've had an email today advising I didn't meet the minimum requirement for the online test so my application has been declined.

However the application which I passed the online test is still on hold - surely this one should now be considered as a vacancy has arisen and I shouldn't have had to retake the test in the first place

the stripler

Well I've had an email today advising I didn't meet the minimum requirement for the online test so my application has been declined.

However the application which I passed the online test is still on hold - surely this one should now be considered as a vacancy has arisen and I shouldn't have had to retake the test in the first place

This sounds like a very un organised dept.....are you sure you want to work for them.......:roll:

daveyf1975

Northern are a great company to work for. Every large organisation has a few teething troubles here and there. One thing I learnt from applying to various TOCs is be patient you will get there in the end. From that point onwards the world is your oyster :D:D

Withnailandi

Any advice guys? Been applying now for 2 years for conductor jobs at Mcr stations. Keep getting binned after application stage. No spelling mistakes plenty of relevant customer service experience etc. My brother in law is a driver and has looked over my apps and can't understand why I'm not getting through to recruiting event. The only problem I can see is that I'm 40. Please help

jadam35

Any advice guys? Been applying now for 2 years for conductor jobs at Mcr stations. Keep getting binned after application stage. No spelling mistakes plenty of relevant customer service experience etc. My brother in law is a driver and has looked over my apps and can't understand why I'm not getting through to recruiting event. The only problem I can see is that I'm 40. Please help

Don't think its the fact you are 40. I'm 45 and have just got through with Man Vic to start next month. I have been applying for a long time myself and have been rejected many times. After a couple of rejections I changed my answers in my applications, even though I thought they were good examples. Also I changed the length of my answers. I made them shorter, just giving the main details. Any courses you have listed, give some background into what you achieved from them. I know you probably have already done this but its just a thought. Not sure exactly what worked though. Just depends who you are up against. The main thing is to keep plugging away. Its disheartening to keep getting rejected but dont give up.

Your age won't have anything to do with it. With age comes experience. At a conductors assessment I was at recently most people were in their 40's with one or two in their 50's!

Established Member

Northern HR at York flatly denied they had told their local managers to...
'just pick out the first four you think are decent and don't worry about the rest'
...well, I've chosen to trust the two managers who told me about that, not the people who continue to deny it.

Seems to be more pot luck and lottery than actual skills and ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.