• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern / Avanti delay repay

A S Leib

I have tickets for yesterday (24 May)'s 17:23 Newcastle to Carlisle, which was delayed 73 minutes until arriving at Carlisle at 20:14, and the 19:49 Carlisle to Milton Keynes Central. The delay from Newcastle meant that it missed the final train of the day to London (20:07 ex Edinburgh via Birmingham, leaving Carlisle five minutes late) as well as the 19:49.

- Which circumstances does Northern give complimentary tickets in?
- Is the best option doing Northern delay repay as normal and putting in a delay of two hours?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Belperpete

Established Member
Did you actually travel on the train, and if so what happened when you got to Carlisle?

A S Leib

Did you actually travel on the train, and if so what happened when you got to Carlisle?
No; I'd bought tickets for Thursday as well and ended up travelling a day earlier. (Well, because of the flooding north of Carlisle I ended up going from Newcastle to Doncaster and was picked up there, but the point is that the tickets for yesterday were unused.)

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Hmmm. Not sure if you should be claiming 'Delay Repay' for a journey you didn't actually make. Presume these were advance tickets, so can a refund be claimed?

Haywain

Veteran Member
I have tickets for yesterday (24 May)'s 17:23 Newcastle to Carlisle, which was delayed 73 minutes until arriving at Carlisle at 20:14, and the 19:49 Carlisle to Milton Keynes Central. The delay from Newcastle meant that it missed the final train of the day to London (20:07 ex Edinburgh via Birmingham, leaving Carlisle five minutes late) as well as the 19:49.

- Which circumstances does Northern give complimentary tickets in?
- Is the best option doing Northern delay repay as normal and putting in a delay of two hours?
No travel, no claim.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
As the Northern train was delayed and left Newcastle an hour late, and the tickets weren't used, might you still be able to claim a full refund from the ticket retailer? Think such a claim is permitted in the current version of the National Rail Conditions of Travel.