• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Complimentary Ticket Dispute

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
On the other hand this might be an example of quit while you are ahead. We do not want Northern suddenly introducing such conditions printed on the reverse of the next batch of vouchers.
This, I think, is the right answer. Northern could just run the same Delay Repay scheme as everyone else. It seems to me that wanting to use the vouchers to their absolute, theoretical maximum is a minority pursuit limited to subscribers to this forum. So Northern could make their life much simpler and upset only the very small minority of their customers who contribute here by withdrawing the voucher scheme or tightening the rules.

It might be time for us all to stop grumbling that the good isn’t perfect.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pemma

Veteran Member
This, I think, is the right answer. Northern could just run the same Delay Repay scheme as everyone else. It seems to me that wanting to use the vouchers to their absolute, theoretical maximum is a minority pursuit limited to subscribers to this forum. So Northern could make their life much simpler and upset only the very small minority of their customers who contribute here by withdrawing the voucher scheme or tightening the rules.

It might be time for us all to stop grumbling that the good isn’t perfect.

I don't think your presumption is correct at all.

One of my former work colleagues rarely caught the train but one day he, his wife and his children were affected when two consecutive trains were cancelled on a line with an hourly service. He didn't want his children waiting for hours so got a taxi and tried to get Northern to refund it. Northern refused as there were still a later service that operated but issued the complimentary tickets. My former work colleague's response was to try and get maximum value from them given he needed for fork out for a taxi due to the delay.

You'll also find a lot of holders of the complimentary tickets are season ticket holders who much rather have a complimentary day trip to somewhere like Blackpool, Windermere or Scarborough then a small refund for the delayed train. Northern benefit from this as they get to keep 100% of the season ticket revenue and the holder of the complimentary ticket is making a journey they wouldn't otherwise have made, so Northern are missing out on revenue that way.

On the other hand this might be an example of quit while you are ahead. We do not want Northern suddenly introducing such conditions printed on the reverse of the next batch of vouchers.

Agreed. Although, I still have quite a few of the existing ones due to Northern's performance being poor for a very long time on the Mid-Cheshire line.

trover

I don't think your presumption is correct at all.

One of my former work colleagues rarely caught the train but one day he, his wife and his children were affected when two consecutive trains were cancelled on a line with an hourly service. He didn't want his children waiting for hours so got a taxi and tried to get Northern to refund it. Northern refused as there were still a later service that operated but issued the complimentary tickets. My former work colleague's response was to try and get maximum value from them given he needed for fork out for a taxi due to the delay.

You'll also find a lot of holders of the complimentary tickets are season ticket holders who much rather have a complimentary day trip to somewhere like Blackpool, Windermere or Scarborough then a small refund for the delayed train. Northern benefit from this as they get to keep 100% of the season ticket revenue and the holder of the complimentary ticket is making a journey they wouldn't otherwise have made, so Northern are missing out on revenue that way.

Agreed. Although, I still have quite a few of the existing ones due to Northern's performance being poor for a very long time on the Mid-Cheshire line.
Agreed. The current scheme is a win win situation which Northern doesn’t have to pay out cash and with the complimentary ticket the passenger is likely to spend one less journey worth of money (or the monetary compensation from Northern) with other competing TOCs; while the passenger affected receives a more superior compensation than cash when the ticket price is low.

matthewluck

On the day that I used this ticket, I travelled with Northern from Workington to Carlisle and then with Avanti from Carlisle to Lancaster. I had standard/advance tickets for this journey.

I only had a need to use the complimentary ticket on the direct Northern train from Lancaster to Workington. The Conductor who checked my ticket leaving Lancaster had no problem with it. It was just when it was checked after leaving Barrow.

It isn't a journey I need to make often. It's not about extracting the most value from the ticket for me. It is about not wasting the recompense for a previous, significant delay. I just don't want to use the return leg of the ticket until I need to. And I don't know when that will be. Though it will likely be in the next 6 months.

When I want to extract the most value it will be a Workington to Sheffield or Nottingham return. And I would have no problems marking the return date as I would know it for that journey!

Last edited:

matthewluck

Although the experience has been frustrating, the last thing wanted are additional conditions printed on the reverse!

I will just use them for long-distance journeys where I am pretty certain of the return date in future.

Status
Not open for further replies.