• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

northern Complimentary Travel Pass - Suggestions for usage please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl

On Moderation
I've recently received a northern Complimentary Travel Pass and the boxes ticked on the voucher are 'adult' and 'single'. There's no expiry date or name in the 'Customer Name' field.

I was wondering what's the best way to have a day out with a single? It seems useless to me if I can't get home.

Can anyone help!! :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Puffing Devil

Established Member
Keep using Northern for another week and you'll soon get a return ticket!

Kite159

Veteran Member
You could probably do a loop via Carlisle, maybe get a cheap advance from Leeds/Bradford back?

As long as you don't double back on yourself, the guards probably wouldn't bat an eyelid

DaveB10780

I went Chinley - Sheffield - Leeds - Carlisle - Hexham - Newcastle on a single and returned a little faster to Stockport on advance TPE then a bus home.

Veteran Member
Bamber Br to Whitby via Whitehaven and Sunderland?
Coastliner bus to York, Northern Advance home.
However, I don't think that's doable in a day.

Karl

On Moderation
Thanks folks for the replies and suggestions. Much appreciated.

I'd be travelling from Bamber Bridge (BMB) and I hadn't realised that doing a loop was acceptable. One of my favourite routes when using one of northern's £10 offer is Bamber Bridge - Preston - Barrow - Carlisle - Leeds - Blackburn and then home to BMB. Would this route be acceptable? I'm worried that I might be abusing the pass as there's two boxes which I have to fill in before travel, a 'From' and a 'To' field. Would a 'single' from BMB to BMB be acceptable as long as I don't double back on the loop?

Thanks again.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Doing an enormous loop is clearly taking the pee.

Best to stick to routes where an ordinary single would be valid via the Routeing Guide.

Puffing Devil

Established Member
I think that most people suggesting a loop were completing the shorter leg with a cheaper advance, which is a little harder given your starting location.

Established Member
Doing an enormous loop is clearly taking the pee.

Best to stick to routes where an ordinary single would be valid via the Routeing Guide.
How does a passenger travel from York to Darlington then?:D

janb

I think that most people suggesting a loop were completing the shorter leg with a cheaper advance, which is a little harder given your starting location.

Yep, so possibly in the example using the free ticket Bamber Bridge to Carlisle (via Barrow) single. Then instead of using S+C, come back on the WCML with a cheap VTWC+Connections. Or vice versa.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
I've recently received a northern Complimentary Travel Pass and the boxes ticked on the voucher are 'adult' and 'single'. There's no expiry date or name in the 'Customer Name' field.

I was wondering what's the best way to have a day out with a single? It seems useless to me if I can't get home.

Can anyone help!! :)

Sorry to bring back an old thread but I too have a Northern Complimentary Travel Pass where the "adult" and "single" boxes have been ticked. All I have to do is enter my origin and destination so, like the OP, I'm wondering how creative I can be with it. For example if I put both my origin and destination as Leeds, could I travel from Leeds to Leeds via Carnforth, Barrow, Carlisle and Settle, so long as I don't double back on myself? Yes, I know on the face of it, that sounds ridiculous but as there's no need to specific a route would such a journey break the T&Cs of the ticket?

Adam0984

No you can’t do same station to same station as that’s a return.
To get the most out of it you would have to go to carnforth via Burnley and Preston that way you can fill your ticket as Leeds to Shipley but go via the above then just a single Shipley to Leeds. You can’t pass through the named ‘to’ station otherwise that’s your journey done before you’ve got anywhere

Status
Not open for further replies.