• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Concert Train Advice at Horwich Parkway

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetroCar4058

Hi,

I’m hoping for a bit of advice relating to Northern train services from Horwich Parkway after a concert please :)

I have family attending the Pink concert at University of Bolton stadium on the 7th June. Northern have a train at 2313 to Manchester which is the final train, with the 0013 cancelled and replaced with a RRB around 0050. Ive suggested to the family that they leave a little early to make sure they are on the platform and can get on the train, but in the event that they cannot get on, what are their rights? Surely almost 2h wait for a RRB is unreasonable and given the notice Northern have for this they are displaying undue care in their actions?

I contacted Northern about this and their response was “I’m sorry this is the case but this is the timetable sadly”, which made me chuckle at how little they care for passengers!

Both have purchased anytime return tickets with reservations on the 2313 train.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

londonbridge

Established Member
What time is the previous train before the 23:13? I would have thought there’d be a curfew of around 22:15 for an open air show.

Bertie the bus

Established Member
I don't know what you expect Northern to do about it. There appears to be an engineering blockade on the Preston - Manchester line as the 23:22 Blackpool North - Manchester Airport is diverted via Wigan, so even if they had the stock and train crew sitting around at that time of night doing nothing they wouldn't be able to run later services because the line is closed, which is why there are RRBs.

scrapy

Established Member

Looks like they're running an extra Manchester Special on (I assume) concert days, making the times towards Manchester:
2213 Manchester Airport via Picc
2313 Manchester Airport via Picc
2324 Special Manchester Victoria

Hopefully if they don't board the 2313 they should board the 2324
Should be noted that as this is unadvertised they should aim for the 23.13. This may or may not run (probably will only run if there are sufficient resources on the day) and there is no recompense to passengers if it does not run. Real time trains is not an official source of information. If it does not run then yes you would be expected to wait for the bus, Northern only now generally put on replacement transport if the next alternative is.more than 2 hours. (This has been driven by the DFT who say this is now the industry standard).

Last week on the days it ran the 2313 was a 3 car 331. Hopefully it will be strengthened to 6 car on Thursday and Friday.

Last edited:

MetroCar4058

Thanks everyone for the help, much appreciated. Looks like they will just see what happens!

scrapy

Established Member
Northern appear to be additionally making unadvertised stops at Horwich and Lostock tommorow night on the 21.55 Blackpool to Manchester Piccadilly service (22.45 at Horwich). This should be a 6 car 331.

td97

Established Member
Should be noted that as this is unadvertised they should aim for the 23.13
It appears to have run as an unadvertised express. How do Northern expect passengers to know about this service if it does not appear in journey planners?

Last edited:

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
It appears to have run as an unadvertised express. How do Northern expect passengers to know about this service if it does not appear in journey planners?
1. Showing up expecting to get on the 23:13 and then it being too busy to carry everyone.
2. RTT or similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.