• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern conductor interview Wigan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulfenton

Hi,

Am after some info on what to expect. I have an interview straight after new year at Wigan for guard job. The email tells me it's a competency based interview. What sort of questions should I expect?

Is there an assessment day after his interview if I got through? Anyone have any idea how many vacancies there are? I have been trying to get onto the railway for 12 months

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

KaiBurton

I think that the interview and selection process may have changed slightly since I did mine seven years ago, but I was asked questions like "What skills and qualities do you have that could apply to the role?... "What attracted you to apply for the position?"... "Tell us about a time when you have had to take control of a situation?" Pretty standard stuff really although I believe that the questions are more structured now. I'd done the interview, tests, medical and started at the Training Academy all within a month but I think this timeframe is different for everyone. I hope this helps mate and best of luck for your interview!

jadam35

Hi,

Am after some info on what to expect. I have an interview straight after new year at Wigan for guard job. The email tells me it's a competency based interview. What sort of questions should I expect?

Is there an assessment day after his interview if I got through? Anyone have any idea how many vacancies there are? I have been trying to get onto the railway for 12 months

I am currently on a course at the moment a couple of months in.
Northern are currently big on excellent customer service and safety. So if you can come up with examples of times when you have "resolved" issues for customers with complaints, and examples of safe working practices then you are in with a chance. In the interview if the Manager asks after a question "is there anything you would like to add?" then from my experience they are saying they would like a little more from you. I also tried for around 12 months and had 4 interviews, and it is worth it in the end. If you get through you have the assessment a few weeks later. (normally) Dont give up, even if you dont get this one, Northern are recruiting over a hundred drivers and guards next year so keep on trying...

Paulfenton

Boom

Got through the interview..and invited to assessment on Tuesday. Any tips?

My email says structured interview and role play are no longer.

Asian Demon

Boom

Got through the interview..and invited to assessment on Tuesday. Any tips?

My email says structured interview and role play are no longer.

This is correct. The only thing that will happen in the assessment is the actual tests. Role plays and structured interviews are no longer done.

MadeinWigan

Congratulations on making the next stage.

I went for my interview last friday and received an email today saying that I have been unsuccessful.

The assessment stage is pretty soon after the interview, do you have a pack that you can use to prepare for the day?

I am determined to be successful with an application in the future so any feedback you can give would be appreciated.

Good luck on tuesday.

Richard

Paulfenton

Yes got an assessment pack with some examples of the types of assessment and it tells you to practice.

No mention of required standards though, quite confusing.

Hope I progress though I do know there is only one feb start and then one in June!

sw1ller

Established Member
I am currently on a course at the moment a couple of months in.
Northern are currently big on excellent customer service and safety. So if you can come up with examples of times when you have "resolved" issues for customers with complaints, and examples of safe working practices then you are in with a chance. In the interview if the Manager asks after a question "is there anything you would like to add?" then from my experience they are saying they would like a little more from you. I also tried for around 12 months and had 4 interviews, and it is worth it in the end. If you get through you have the assessment a few weeks later. (normally) Dont give up, even if you dont get this one, Northern are recruiting over a hundred drivers and guards next year so keep on trying...

This is an excellent reply - all i can say here is well done, a lot of people would of given up disheartend..... And the fact that they are going to advertise 100's of drivers jobs soon gives me loads of hope. You have actually put a big smile on my face - Its going to be a long year i can tell but hopefully it will all be worth it. :p

MadeinWigan

Good to see that perseverance can pay off. 4 interviews in 12 mths, did you apply for multiple positions at a time? I ask because I thought that you had two wait 6 mths between applications. I'm not looking forward to waiting!

Beveridges

Established Member
There are ways around everything. Opening multiple accounts is one way of getting around the 6 month wait. I did it with First Group once.

mac

This is an excellent reply - all i can say here is well done, a lot of people would of given up disheartend..... And the fact that they are going to advertise 100's of drivers jobs soon gives me loads of hope. You have actually put a big smile on my face - Its going to be a long year i can tell but hopefully it will all be worth it. :p

Why do northern need so many more staff this year?

Beveridges

Established Member
Northern are short staffed at all the big depots north west side, and more drivers are expected to leave due to retirement or leaving to go to TPE/Cross Country/Virgin/DRS. Staff shortage is partly caused by the fact that Northern never recruited hardly anyone in 2009-2010 and not many in 2011 either.
100 Drivers and Guards this year isnt a lot when its across the whole company.
Expect much more to be taken on 2015 onwards as north west is getting so-called improvements from2016-2018 including service frequency increasing nearly everywhere.

Last edited:

sw1ller

Established Member
Northern are short staffed at all the big depots north west side, and more drivers are expected to leave due to retirement or people leaving to go to TPE/Cross Country/Virgin/DRS. Staff shortage is partly caused by the fact that Northern never recruited hardly anyone in 2009-2010 and not many in 2011 either.
100 Drivers and Guards this year isnt a lot when its across the whole company.
Expect much more to be taken on 2015 onwards as north west is getting so-called improvements from2016-2018 including service frequency increasing nearly everywhere.

The news said the other day that there is plans for 600 more trains a DAY!! Just in north west, I find those figures unbelievable, would this be possible? Really good for us on the outside wanting to get in.

Status
Not open for further replies.