• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern conductor interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

WF4HA5HE

Hi,

First, apologies if this has been asked before but I just wanted to check as I've reckoned to look but can't find anything too specific and to be honest im quite nervous and excited lol.
I have been offered an interview with Northern for the position of Conductor at Sheffield at the end of the month and have a couple of questions.
1) Are all the questions compentacy based?
2) Does everyone get put forward for an initial interview or have I been shortlisted against everyone because I had an interview for a different role with Northern a good few years ago and it was a full assessment day for a good 5-6 hours with group assessments but this is only 1 hour.

Thank you and any help is much appreciated.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Newapplicant

Hi,

So I had my interview on Monday for Leeds. I feel it went well but I'm yet to find out my fate. In terms of your questions, I can confirm the following:

1) Yes, from memory you're asked 6 competencies which each cover the role that you're applying for. I'm not going to say what I was asked as I don't think that would be fair and is likely against the rules anyway. They will ask you an icebreaker question at first then the competency based questions start. Once completed you then get asked a number of questions regarding the role - these aren't scored and they are asked more as a to make sure you understand the role and can do what is expected. For instance if I remember correctly one was about travelling to work and shift patterns. They mirrored those initial questions you get on the application.

2) Providing you're giving full answers and utilising the STAR method for answering the questions then yes, it should last an hour. I think mine was about 1h 15m in total.

3) I'm not sure on that, although would think that you'll be papersifted.

Anything you else you need to know just ask.

Best of luck.

Steveell1973

Hi,

So I had my interview on Monday for Leeds. I feel it went well but I'm yet to find out my fate. In terms of your questions, I can confirm the following:

1) Yes, from memory you're asked 6 competencies which each cover the role that you're applying for. I'm not going to say what I was asked as I don't think that would be fair and is likely against the rules anyway. They will ask you an icebreaker question at first then the competency based questions start. Once completed you then get asked a number of questions regarding the role - these aren't scored and they are asked more as a to make sure you understand the role and can do what is expected. For instance if I remember correctly one was about travelling to work and shift patterns. They mirrored those initial questions you get on the application.

2) Providing you're giving full answers and utilising the STAR method for answering the questions then yes, it should last an hour. I think mine was about 1h 15m in total.

Best of luck.
Hi

Good luck both of you. I’ve also got an interview in Sheffield soon, hoping that the industrial action doesn’t impact it.

I’m currently in the prep stage trying to also work out what questions might be asked.
Nervous and excited

On a further note.

Initial question 3 - There is definitely a selection process, I applied last year and didnt get through to the interview stage. Whether the selection is more of a 'numbers' game is up for debate however.....

I had heard there was a group activity previously also, I'm not sure if the interview is the final stage or if there is anything afterwards. I guess time will tell.....

Last edited:

WF4HA5HE

Hi

Good luck both of you. I’ve also got an interview in Sheffield soon, hoping that the industrial action doesn’t impact it.

I’m currently in the prep stage trying to also work out what questions might be asked.
Nervous and excited

On a further note.

Initial question 3 - There is definitely a selection process, I applied last year and didnt get through to the interview stage. Whether the selection is more of a 'numbers' game is up for debate however.....

I had heard there was a group activity previously also, I'm not sure if the interview is the final stage or if there is anything afterwards. I guess time will tell.....
Hi,

Thank you, When is your interview?

ollie_hobbs

I had a Northern Interview for a depot role last Monday. For one question they asked what I knew about Northern - so do a bit a brushing up on the company history / facts as well as the competency stuff.

WF4HA5HE

23rd one of the strike days….
When’s yours?
27th. Where you offered dates between 20th-29th.

23rd one of the strike days….
When’s yours?
Also have you had your confirmation email with location and what to bring. Maybe if they've sent that out it will go ahead?

Hi,

Best of luck.
Thank you for the support, Fingers crossed for your recent interview, You'll have to update us with the result :).

Best of luck

Last edited:

Steveell1973

So a week and a bit away from the Interview and I am brushing up on competencies, there are 2 from the Northern list that I am struggling to find relevant example questions for:

Personal Qualities - My thoughts are that this refers to Time keeping, Attitude and overall conscientiousness.
Prioritising - On this I am leaning more to the safety critical side of the role than to how do you manage your time.

Any thoughts from anyone on these 2 would be very much appreciated, I'm not looking for the actual questions just some ideas.

Many Thanks in advance :D

WF4HA5HE

So a week and a bit away from the Interview and I am brushing up on competencies, there are 2 from the Northern list that I am struggling to find relevant example questions for:

Personal Qualities - My thoughts are that this refers to Time keeping, Attitude and overall conscientiousness.
Prioritising - On this I am leaning more to the safety critical side of the role than to how do you manage your time.

Any thoughts from anyone on these 2 would be very much appreciated, I'm not looking for the actual questions just some ideas.

Many Thanks in advance :D
Im in the exact same boat stuck for examples for those 2 with my interview in 1 week :D

scrapy

Established Member
You will almost certainly be asked:-

1) tell us about your past career and about yourself (not scored but worth making a good impression)

2) tell us what you know about Northern/the job role (scored). Worth Googling any recent positive news stories as well as giving the basics. Don't mention anything negative such as strikes or driver shortages.

3) what attracted you to any for the job/ what skills do you feel you can bring to the job(scored)

Competency questions will cover customer service, problem solving, working alone/teamwork, following rules and procedures, conflict avoidance and dealing with difficult situations. Try to have lots of examples of past work and non work situations that you can give. Use STAR interview technique (Google if you don't know what it is).

Good luck

Last edited:

Steveell1973

1) tell us about your past career and about yourself (not scored but worth making a good impression)

2) tell us what you know about Northern/the job role (scored). Worth Googling any recent positive news stories as well as giving the basics. Don't mention anything negative such as strikes or driver shortages.

3) what attracted you to any for the job/ what skills do you feel you can bring to the job(scored)

Competency questions will cover customer service, problem solving, working alone/teamwork, following rules and procedures, conflict avoidance and dealing with difficult situations. Try to have lots of examples of past work and non work situations that you can give. Use STAR interview technique (Google if you don't know what it is).

Good luck
Just to say this advise was really great!!

Successful outcome from my Interview and just the medical to come....

I fully expect to pass the medical as you would, anything I should be concerned about?

CardiffDan

I fully expect to pass the medical as you would, anything I should be concerned about?

All pretty easy bits.

Eyes
Hearing booth
Weight
Height
Blood pressure
Pee in a cup for drugs
Breath test for alcohol
Colourblindness test

WF4HA5HE

Ahh well Done congrats. I know I created this thread and was going to update on the interview but I just got side tracked.

So gutted because I wasn’t able to attend last minute. I work in the Emergency Service at the moment and had a shift change last minute to finish at 2am and I have my interview later that morning so it just wouldn’t have been reasonable to attend but well done again. I’m just hoping if I apply again it won’t go against me that I had to cancelled last minute.

Steveell1973

Ahh well Done congrats. I know I created this thread and was going to update on the interview but I just got side tracked.

So gutted because I wasn’t able to attend last minute. I work in the Emergency Service at the moment and had a shift change last minute to finish at 2am and I have my interview later that morning so it just wouldn’t have been reasonable to attend but well done again. I’m just hoping if I apply again it won’t go against me that I had to cancelled last minute.
Thank you

That sounds like such a shame. Good luck and going forward

Bec2604

Congratulations!

I was also successful and waiting for my medical (today actually).

What course start date do you have?

Harvey B

Hi,

Best of luck.

Good luck
I'm going through this process myself (providing my Online Assessment is successful), I have a question: How long after the Online Assessment Deadline will it be before you find out if you have an interview or not?

I completed both online assessments on Saturday and Sunday and the Deadline is Midnight tonight

jubilee_line

I'm going through this process myself (providing my Online Assessment is successful), I have a question: How long after the Online Assessment Deadline will it be before you find out if you have an interview or not?

I completed both online assessments on Saturday and Sunday and the Deadline is Midnight tonight
I was told three days after taking the assessments that I had passed them. I got the results on June 10th and am still waiting to see if I get an invitation to interview, so it could be a while!

I've read through previous threads and I don't think my wait is unusual, although some people have gone through the process more quickly. I think it comes down to how urgent the need for recruitment is at the depot you apply for. I've been checking my email and the Northern careers portal frequently, but am trying to put it out of my mind otherwise as I'm aware it could be a long wait - my advice would be to do the same! Good luck though, you should hear back about results pretty quickly :)

Harvey B

I was told three days after taking the assessments that I had passed them. I got the results on June 10th and am still waiting to see if I get an invitation to interview, so it could be a while!

I've read through previous threads and I don't think my wait is unusual, although some people have gone through the process more quickly. I think it comes down to how urgent the need for recruitment is at the depot you apply for. I've been checking my email and the Northern careers portal frequently, but am trying to put it out of my mind otherwise as I'm aware it could be a long wait - my advice would be to do the same! Good luck though, you should hear back about results pretty quickly :)
Thanks for the advice, I'll keep my eye out and Thank You, Fingers Crossed

Congratulations!

I was also successful and waiting for my medical (today actually).

What course start date do you have?
How do you book into get a medical?

Quick PS: If it's not that unusual, I wonder if they hire enough people so they are ready to interview when they are next ready to do training, many other companies probably do the same

Last edited:

Bec2604

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep my eye out and Thank You, Fingers Crossed

How do you book into get a medical?

Quick PS: If it's not that unusual, I wonder if they hire enough people so they are ready to interview when they are next ready to do training, many other companies probably do the same
You get invited to a medical if you're offered a job it's not something you can pre book as the rail way have they own companies to carry them out.

Interview, potential start date offered, medical, start date confirmed.

Harvey B

UPDATE: I've Passed both of the Online Assessments. Now I'm awaiting to see if My application is suitable for an interview. (Hopefully it is because I have mentioned that I've loved Trains for all of my life and I've always wanted to work in Rail)

pools

Oh, by the way, makes sure you check the Northern portal as well as your emails - I generally got everything via email as well as the portal but the actual job offer was received by email several days after it appeared on the portal so I needlessly spent days wondering how I'd done!!

jubilee_line

Funnily enough - a couple hours after I wrote that I'd been waiting for five weeks - I got the email this afternoon inviting me to interview! Really pleased :D

Congratulations on passing your assessments Harvey; hope the wait isn't too long for you!

Harvey B

Funnily enough - a couple hours after I wrote that I'd been waiting for five weeks - I got the email this afternoon inviting me to interview! Really pleased :D

Congratulations on passing your assessments Harvey; hope the wait isn't too long for you!
Well Done. Hopefully I'm not too far behind

Oh, by the way, makes sure you check the Northern portal as well as your emails - I generally got everything via email as well as the portal but the actual job offer was received by email several days after it appeared on the portal so I needlessly spent days wondering how I'd done!!
Do they normally call you to give you the job offer too or will it normally be via Email

Last edited:

pools

I received an email. I think it's the norm to be sent an email but just check on the portal too as per my previous post.

jubilee_line

Do they normally call you to give you the job offer too or will it normally be via Email
The email I got today confirming my interview slot mentioned that we would be informed of the outcome via email 10-14 days after the interview date.

Harvey B

The email I got today confirming my interview slot mentioned that we would be informed of the outcome via email 10-14 days after the interview date.
Good Luck. Hopefully my wait isn't as long as yours

I have some bad News, unfortunately they rejected me. But never mind, I'll apply again in 6 months

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.