• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Conductor Manchester Depots

Status
Not open for further replies.

M16WR

Good afternoon!

I’ve recently applied for the position of Conductor at Manchester. Applications for the position closed on the 24th April.
There has been another posting on the Northern recruitment site today for Conductor at Manchester, with a closing date of 1st May?!
Is it usual for the vacancy to re-open again?

I have an automated response from Northern stating they had received my application and would be in touch.
Would it be worth dropping an email to Northern to make sure?
Thanks for any help

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Whilst there was undoubtedly a high response to this job advert, the previous two franchisees have done this before without any good reason or explanation given.

Dec_10

Does anyone know how strict they are with the 45 minute travel time? I'm just a couple of minutes under 45.

That’s completely fine. As long as you can get there within 45minutes regardless with it being peak or off-peak they aren’t bothered.

If you’re on the border of 45minutes you just set off early.

M16WR

Got an email today to complete online tests for the role.
Anyone else got an email and/or taken these online tests recently?

Should just be Verbal and Numerical reasoning. Just saying on the other topic that ive been sifted out not too sure why will hopefully find out tomorrow.

M16WR

Should just be Verbal and Numerical reasoning. Just saying on the other topic that ive been sifted out not too sure why will hopefully find out tomorrow.
Thanks. I’d seen someone on a previous post who’d applied for Conductor and had said it was a deductive reasoning test, so I wondered if anyone had recent experience of them.
I’m sorry to hear that you didn’t get through the sift. I hope you can get some feedback

JKVVE2018

Got an email today to complete online tests for the role.
Anyone else got an email and/or taken these online tests recently?
Ive also got the email today to complete the tests. Also applied for Wigan but not heard anything for that so far

scrapy

Established Member
That’s completely fine. As long as you can get there within 45minutes regardless with it being peak or off-peak they aren’t bothered.

If you’re on the border of 45minutes you just set off early.
They only really look at off peak times. You would not normally start a shift at 9am particularly in the lower links. 4am to 7am starts are the norm for early shifts 12noon to 4.30pm for late shifts.

RSTurbo50

I applied for this role as well and unfortunately was unsuccessful. I thought it was a good application and gave good examples. I am a PCV Driver with good experience in customer service and have a good academic background.

Now im not saying my application was better than others. My question is, if they are having hundreds maybe thousands of applications, I doubt they will be looking at everyone of them. Will they simply say after the first 50-60 applications that meet the requirements, they will send out rejection notices to the remainder without even looking at them all? I did apply maybe a week after the position was first advertised so im thinking the earlier you get an application the better your chances?

JKVVE2018

I applied for this role as well and unfortunately was unsuccessful. I thought it was a good application and gave good examples. I am a PCV Driver with good experience in customer service and have a good academic background.

Now im not saying my application was better than others. My question is, if they are having hundreds maybe thousands of applications, I doubt they will be looking at everyone of them. Will they simply say after the first 50-60 applications that meet the requirements, they will send out rejection notices to the remainder without even looking at them all? I did apply maybe a week after the position was first advertised so im thinking the earlier you get an application the better your chances?
I applied on the 30/4 which I think was a day before closing so not sure how they work it out

Taylor-j01

Noone knows how its judged but positions are only open for around 7 days they wont start sift until the end date so its not in order

M16WR

Has anyone any tips for the numerical reasoning test?
I’ve completed some of the practice ones on the SHL website today and they’re quite a lot tougher than I anticipated!
Are these a true reflection of the actual tests online?
And are they about accuracy, or to complete all the questions or a mixture of both!
I’ve read some previous posts where people have posted that they use them to sift applications, but the practice questions are really tough.
Any tips are gratefully appreciated!

ILoveLamp

I would say after doing a few that they are easier than the practice tests. It’s hard to say how they judge the results (speed vs accuracy) as they do not give feedback, but I believe the general consensus is accuracy first over speed...but you’ll still need to get most done. IIRC last time I did them I think I got through all the questions in time, with a few seconds to spare, and passed to the standard. Whether I just scraped past or did quite well we’ll never know! Still in an ’application in progress’ situation..

Should get it after the time has elapsed to complete the tests should come through on Monday because Friday was a bank holiday :) Thats only if the date has passed :)

Status
Not open for further replies.