• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Conductor shift pattern

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSTurbo50

I start my training for Northern as a Conductor in February and I am super excited. Whats a typical shift pattern once you have actually started your role? What are the long weekends like and is it normally a 10 hour working day?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Minicheddar

I start my training for Northern as a Conductor in February and I am super excited. Whats a typical shift pattern once you have actually started your role? What are the long weekends like and is it normally a 10 hour working day?
What depot will you be starting at?

Minicheddar

Liverpool Lime Street
I'm based in Manchester but I'm fairly sure Liverpool lime st have a standard 4 day week with a long weekend every 3 weeks. Shifts can range in hours from 6 hours to just under 10 hours. Late and early shifts change weekly so you'll do one week of earlies then one week of lates, then back to earlies etc. Early shifts range anywhere from starting at 3am up to 11am, lates start from around 10.30am and can start as late as 19.00 in the evening. Usually the really early shifts get finished before midday. I might be incorrect on some aspects but when you start training you'll be able to see the shift pattern of your depot. Hope that helps

RSTurbo50

I'm based in Manchester but I'm fairly sure Liverpool lime st have a standard 4 day week with a long weekend every 3 weeks. Shifts can range in hours from 6 hours to just under 10 hours. Late and early shifts change weekly so you'll do one week of earlies then one week of lates, then back to earlies etc. Early shifts range anywhere from starting at 3am up to 11am, lates start from around 10.30am and can start as late as 19.00 in the evening. Usually the really early shifts get finished before midday. I might be incorrect on some aspects but when you start training you'll be able to see the shift pattern of your depot. Hope that helps
thanks mate thats really helpful. Is it a 39 hour week youre paid for? and is a long weekend Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday off?

Minicheddar

thanks mate thats really helpful. Is it a 39 hour week youre paid for? and is a long weekend Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday off?
35 hour week, however some weeks will be more and some less however over all the weeks in your roster it will balance out to 35 hours.

And long weekends are Fri, Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday.

Also worth noting at the moment Sundays are outside the working week so you aren't required to work them, however this will probably change later on this year. Sundays worked are paid at time and a quarter.

RSTurbo50

35 hour week, however some weeks will be more and some less however over all the weeks in your roster it will balance out to 35 hours.

And long weekends are Fri, Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday.

Also worth noting at the moment Sundays are outside the working week so you aren't required to work them, however this will probably change later on this year. Sundays worked are paid at time and a quarter.
thats brilliant....is it a good job and do you enjoy it?

Minicheddar

thats brilliant....is it a good job and do you enjoy it?
Its a fantastic job, not being stuck in the same place all day, managing your own time, great variation of trains and routes as well and for the most part passengers are a good bunch. As with all jobs it can have its bad days but for me these are few and far between. People at the training school are also brilliant.

All I can say is work hard during the training and make sure safety is top priority all the time and I guarantee you'll love it.

RSTurbo50

Its a fantastic job, not being stuck in the same place all day, managing your own time, great variation of trains and routes as well and for the most part passengers are a good bunch. As with all jobs it can have its bad days but for me these are few and far between. People at the training school are also brilliant.

All I can say is work hard during the training and make sure safety is top priority all the time and I guarantee you'll love it.
thanks for you feedback mate.....really excited about starting so mega excited at the moment ;)

Universal

I start my Conductor training in March, I'm looking forward to it but I do believe that the training is full on......Yikes! I worked for an airline before this for twenty odd years so I do understand the importance of this safety critical role. I'm glad to see you enjoy it, I'm really looking forward to being at Manchester.

RSTurbo50

I start my Conductor training in March, I'm looking forward to it but I do believe that the training is full on......Yikes! I worked for an airline before this for twenty odd years so I do understand the importance of this safety critical role. I'm glad to see you enjoy it, I'm really looking forward to being at Manchester.
I’m a couple of weeks into my training. Really enjoying it so far but yes there is an awful lot to learn and you be assessed on an ongoing basis so be prepared to revise at weekends but it will be worth it in the end

Universal

Thank you, that's good to hear. Am I correct in thinking that we have Maths and English test after our induction day ? If so I'm going to have to brush up on my Maths yikes! I'm sure the trainers will be proactive and guide us newbies. I best get my thinking cap on lol Good Luck with the rest of your course I'm sure you'll smash it.

I’m a couple of weeks into my training. Really enjoying it so far but yes there is an awful lot to learn and you be assessed on an ongoing basis so be prepared to revise at weekends but it will be worth it in the end
Thank you, that's good to hear. Am I correct in thinking that we have Maths and English test after our induction day ? If so I'm going to have to brush up on my Maths yikes! I'm sure the trainers will be proactive and guide us newbies. I best get my thinking cap on lol Good Luck with the rest of your course I'm sure you'll smash it.

Jaxscc

Hi Universal... Hope you dont mind me asking but do you start on the 7th March in Manchester?

Status
Not open for further replies.