• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Conductor Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

ST

Assuming you have been told you have passed, this will depend on priorities within Northern in light of the current situation with Covid. If you have any questions, you could try ringing Northern HR on 01904 568101. Good luck.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LCC106

Established Member
Legally they have to provide you with your written statement of terms and conditions NO LATER THAN 8 weeks following your start date, so if you at least get an offer letter with joining instructions then that’s enough to be confident you’re starting! The contract will follow. If you request the contract from them they have to issue it within 4 weeks if I recall correctly.

Kimdaddy

Legally they have to provide you with your written statement of terms and conditions NO LATER THAN 8 weeks following your start date, so if you at least get an offer letter with joining instructions then that’s enough to be confident you’re starting! The contract will follow. If you request the contract from them they have to issue it within 4 weeks if I recall correctly.

I have an interview coming up with Northern for the role of Conductor. Any pointers you can offer for the questions they asked during this process?

I would really appreciate the feedback

LCC106

Established Member
Sorry, no experience here. I’d suggest you look at the website - a bit about the company, the routes they serve, any awards achieved then think about the obvious stuff like examples of when you’ve given great customer service, dealt with an emergency situation, difficult customer. Try to think about STAR - the Situation, Task at hand, your Actions and the Result when answering questions. Hope I’m not too far off the mark!

ian94

You're going to be asked a lot of safety related questions, situations where you've had to deal with an issue and resolve it in a safety first manner, try and think of as many situations you can and use the word safety as much as you can! Customer service related experience is very handy to have too.

lvrxh04

That is great advice Ian! I was told a fortnight ago that I have passed my online assessments for a conductor role with Northern. Naturally I am really pleased as I did not find them particularly easy. The email states that my application has been moved to the next stage, with no guarantee of an interview which is a bit disappointing, but hey! I have read on this forum about training taking place in Manchester and Leeds, does any such training take place in Liverpool?

jack785

That is great advice Ian! I was told a fortnight ago that I have passed my online assessments for a conductor role with Northern. Naturally I am really pleased as I did not find them particularly easy. The email states that my application has been moved to the next stage, with no guarantee of an interview which is a bit disappointing, but hey! I have read on this forum about training taking place in Manchester and Leeds, does any such training take place in Liverpool?
Just Manchester and Leeds for the classroom based stuff.

lvrxh04

Just Manchester and Leeds for the classroom based stuff.

Thanks Jack
I am jumping the gun a little I suppose ..... I still have to see if I am selected for an interview. As I said, I have passed the online tests. I suppose I will just have to be patient.

Thanks for the response though mate .... really appreciate it.

jack785

Thanks Jack
I am jumping the gun a little I suppose ..... I still have to see if I am selected for an interview. As I said, I have passed the online tests. I suppose I will just have to be patient.

Thanks for the response though mate .... really appreciate it.
No worries, I have recently gone through the process too. Well done for passing the tests!

Pabloid

Those online tests are far tougher than any challenge you will face as a Conductor, that's for sure!
I totally agree that those two online tests were a proper challenge. I was shocked and feared I had not passed.. alas I did & subsequently went through the day assessment centre (interview and group exercise) that I did not find to be too taxing. I got through and eventually started my classroom training around 6 months later. Then 3 day pass out tests and eventually route learning. I am in role as a Northern guard and am awaiting psychometrics assessment for a driving role. The guard role I must say has proven to be really good but I fancy a crack working the leading cab!

Intermodal

Established Member
I wonder how long I can make my location on this f
I totally agree that those two online tests were a proper challenge. I was shocked and feared I had not passed.. alas I did & subsequently went through the day assessment centre (interview and group exercise) that I did not find to be too taxing. I got through and eventually started my classroom training around 6 months later. Then 3 day pass out tests and eventually route learning. I am in role as a Northern guard and am awaiting psychometrics assessment for a driving role. The guard role I must say has proven to be really good but I fancy a crack working the leading cab!
Congratulations on getting as far as you have.

Brad1

Hi,
I’m starting my conductor training in Manchester next week. Anybody else on here starting the course next week or anytime soon?
Thanks

Whitey

Hi,
I’m starting my conductor training in Manchester next week. Anybody else on here starting the course next week or anytime soon?
Thanks
I am down to start on the 7th Dec in Leeds, I am going to based out of Middlesbrough

Steam Man

On Moderation
You're going to be asked a lot of safety related questions, situations where you've had to deal with an issue and resolve it in a safety first manner, try and think of as many situations you can and use the word safety as much as you can! Customer service related experience is very handy to have too.
I’ve had to push the emergency brakes twice to stop someone getting hurt is that safety conscious at all

LokiB

I've got a conductor interview this week on Microsoft teams.
I've researched the company and practised the STAR technique regarding my customer service/safety answer.
Any other tips or tricks anyone can offer?

What questions were you asked during the interview (if you're willing to say)?

LoogaBarooga

Before my conductor interview with another toc I wrote down a big list of questions I thought I would be asked. Then I got my Mrs to ask me them and she wrote down my response which she then read back to me.

I'd really recommend that technique to anyone practising for an interview.

It's sometimes easy to get flustered and just waffle but doing that helps to focus your answers and highlights the things you wanted to say but didn't.

It's the most prepared I'd felt for any interview and I ended up getting the job.

KP26

I'm also due to start on the 7th in Leeds. Just waiting for my contract.
Hi, my partner is due to start on the 7th in Leeds as well. Just wondered have you received your contract yet?

LokiB

Well, had my interview and I feel it went terrible tbh.
I'd prepared so much but felt I didn't express myself as I wanted and didn't get all the information out that I wanted.
I'm kicking myself as I wasn't particularly nervous and the interviewers were really nice.
Hope I'm wrong but I'm just awaiting the rejection email.
It won't stop me from applying in future though.

and-r

I have my Interview on Tuesday. It’s been a 4 month wait from passing the initial assessment so I’m somewhere between excited and nervous trying to prepare different examples based on the Star examples and job competencies. Keeping my fingers crossed but still have a couple of other entry level applications with Northern so if I don’t get it this time, I will keep trying

Digbyrail

I have my Interview on Tuesday. It’s been a 4 month wait from passing the initial assessment so I’m somewhere between excited and nervous trying to prepare different examples based on the Star examples and job competencies. Keeping my fingers crossed but still have a couple of other entry level applications with Northern so if I don’t get it this time, I will keep trying
All the best of luck, what station are you going for? Still waiting for mine, fingers crossed it will be soon.

LokiB

During my interview they said the station was +5 so they were recruiting for the talent pool.
Does anyone know what this +5 means?
Is it 5 over staffed?
5 waiting for training?
5 in training?
Or something different?

juspassingby

During my interview they said the station was +5 so they were recruiting for the talent pool.
Does anyone know what this +5 means?
Is it 5 over staffed?
5 waiting for training?
5 in training?
Or something different?
Did you not ask them what it meant? The interviewers ask you if you have any questions, perfect time to show some confidence, they like that.

+5 generally means they have more staff than than they need.

When they interview for the 'talent pool', the company is just being selfish... in other words you may or may not get the job after a few months of waiting around.

Status
Not open for further replies.