• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Connect - is it still going ahead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Bonner

Very much doubt it. Its gone quiet from all sides
The concept is of course an excellent one but given cancellations which I noted on some routes yesterday it wd be risky to launch it officially. It wd probably be referred to as "northern disconnect" or something similar!

RealTrains07

Established Member
I know some services meant to be ran under northern connect have started

E.g Chester to Leeds

but thats a far as it has gotten and I cant see much happening anytime considering Northern impending franchise removal or short extension?

js1000

Yes, most of the 'Northern Connect' routes are already running: Liverpool to Manchester Airport, Barrow/Lancaster to Manchester Airport, Blackpool North to Manchester Airport, Chester to Leeds etc.

The one that definitely won't be going ahead is the Bradford to Manchester Airport route (due to insufficient paths through Manchester) and Bradford to Nottingham.

Arriva were required to spend £500,000 publicising the Northern Connect routes throughout 2020 as part of the franchise agreement. Although that will probably not happen now as the franchise is going to be ripped up.

Andyh82

Established Member
I think 99% of mentions of Northern Connect since the first week of the franchise has been in this forum!

Djgr

Established Member
Who knows?

One of the things that wicks me off about Northern (apart from their inability to run a train service) is their inability to communicate what is going on or appreciate the importance of doing so.

The end result is that they come across as unprofessional and in perpetual crisis mode.

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Yes, most of the 'Northern Connect' routes are already running: Liverpool to Manchester Airport, Barrow/Lancaster to Manchester Airport, Blackpool North to Manchester Airport, Chester to Leeds etc.

The one that definitely won't be going ahead is the Bradford to Manchester Airport route (due to insufficient paths through Manchester) and Bradford to Nottingham.

Arriva were required to spend £500,000 publicising the Northern Connect routes throughout 2020 as part of the franchise agreement. Although that will probably not happen now as the franchise is going to be ripped up.

What is the problem with Bradford to Nottingham?

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
I'm confused by this as well - the 195's and at least a refurbished 158 (and I presume the 331's) have an electronic seat reservation system, yet there's been no announcement about Northern Connect.

We shall see in the next franchise!

Status
Not open for further replies.