• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Delay repay complimentary tickets.

abbo1234

Hi, I recently found a couple of Northern Delay repay complimentary return tickets issued before lock down which i had forgotten about. There is no expiry date on them so will they still be valid.
The journey would be Chorley to York. Chorley ticket office said yes, but i have been given wrong advice in the past and ended up with the wrong ticket from Chorley . I dont fancy being pulled up on it. Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jamiearmley

Hi, I recently found a couple of Northern Delay repay complimentary return tickets issued before lock down which i had forgotten about. There is no expiry date on them so will they still be valid.
The journey would be Chorley to York. Chorley ticket office said yes, but i have been given wrong advice in the past and ended up with the wrong ticket from Chorley . I dont fancy being pulled up on it. Thanks.
Yes they are valid indefinitely at this time.

Southern Beau

Just ensure you use pen to fill in the fields , and ensure the date is xx/xx/xx as opposed to x/x/xx (ie: it can’t be edited for additional use at a later date).

HurdyGurdy

Just to add to the above, if it's a return ticket, Northern will expect you to fill in both the outward and return dates before you begin your outward journey. If you don't fill in a return date, some Northern staff have been known to just write in the date without asking the user when they want to return.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
I still have a quite a few of these and was wondering if they are transferable? I was going to give a couple to my parents so that they can have a day out.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I still have a quite a few of these and was wondering if they are transferable? I was going to give a couple to my parents so that they can have a day out.
Condition 2 on the reverse of such a complimentary ticket still says "...May only be used by the person named overleaf..." doesn't it?

lyndhurst25

Established Member
Condition 2 on the reverse of such a complimentary ticket still says "...May only be used by the person named overleaf..." doesn't it?

Some have my name written on them, but others have that box left blank by Northern. When using a blank one on the past, I have filled my own name in, along with the date and stations.

If it isn’t not allowed to pass them on then best not risk it, I suppose.

toffeedanish

Northern will expect you to fill in both the outward and return dates before you begin your outward journey. If you don't fill in a return date, some Northern staff have been known to just write in the date without asking the user when they want to return.
Seriously? That is a big reduction of potential validity: you would have to know your date of return. I can't see any requirement for this in the T&Cs. I have travelled many times with these and only filled in the return date box on the day of my return travel. There is no logic to requiring the return date box to be filled before the outward journey.

Southern Beau

Seriously? That is a big reduction of potential validity: you would have to know your date of return. I can't see any requirement for this in the T&Cs. I have travelled many times with these and only filled in the return date box on the day of my return travel. There is no logic to requiring the return date box to be filled before the outward journey.
From memory, the covering letter specifies the need to complete outward and return dates.

On one trip I did not complete the return and was challenged by the guard. My reason was I was going to hospital for an operation and unsure when I would be returning. He accepted this as a valid reason.

HurdyGurdy

Seriously?

There may be a degree of ambiguity about whether the return date needs to be filled-in before starting the outward journey. But many Northern staff believe that it must be, and will fill it in for you as the same date as the outward, if you haven't.

So, if you do know when you will be returning, the best advice is to fill in the return date beforehand. If you don't know your return date, by all means leave it blank to be filled-in later and take your chances that the knowledge and understanding of Northern's staff will align with yours.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I believe the letter does say both fields need to completed before travel but can’t recall the exact wording
The wording in the covering letter said... "Where applicable, the return journey details should also be completed prior to commencing the outward journey."

gray1404

Established Member
I have certainly received previous letters with this wording but the most recent letter I had enclosing a complimentary ticket so nothing of the sort.

I suspect what Northern are trying to do is stop people only entering the date when they see a ticket inspection. Although this could be done of the outward journey as well so insisting that return date is also entered seems pointless.

FenMan

Established Member
I have certainly received previous letters with this wording but the most recent letter I had enclosing a complimentary ticket so nothing of the sort.

I suspect what Northern are trying to do is stop people only entering the date when they see a ticket inspection. Although this could be done of the outward journey as well so insisting that return date is also entered seems pointless.

Unless Northern is dishing out many, many thousands of complimentary tickets each month (I'm not sure that's remotely likely), this has to be a minority sport. Northern will be focusing on where the big money is, surely?

To do anything else would make me question their competence.

gray1404

Established Member
I don't think it's worth going to battle with Northern on this. I could see them making it a condition by printing it as a condition on the back of the free tickets.

Also I think word has got out there with staff that all details must be completed. It is therefore not worth the risk not including a return date.

Last edited:

toffeedanish

All agreed.

There is clearly more than one type of standard template reply in use, or these have changed over time, which would explain differing interpretations.

So as it stands, although Northern have provided me with a complimentary return as a result of heavy delay whilst travelling on an Anytime Return, I may or may not be able use this for my next equivalent trip, and can either pay or wait until in possession of a further complimentary single ticket to potentially use as the return portion.

Southern Beau

All agreed.

There is clearly more than one type of standard template reply in use, or these have changed over time, which would explain differing interpretations.
I believe the template did change about 18 months ago. The newer version saying you must complete both date fields before you start your outward journey

gray1404

Established Member
I believe the template did change about 18 months ago. The newer version saying you must complete both date fields before you start your outward journey
The last delay repay claim I had with Northern was in March 2023 and there was no mention of marking both outward and return dates, yet there was when I claimed before that in December 2022.

I assume the letter currently in use now does say both boxes should be dated? I've not claimed anything recently.

HurdyGurdy

The impression I get is that there is more than one form of letter being sent out. At least one is specific about the filling-in of return date before commencing the outward journey. At least one doesn't mention filling-in origin, destination or dates at all, it just says the ticket is valid anywhere on the Northern network. Which letter you get seems to be the luck of the draw, or is maybe related to which team within Northern ends up issuing the tickets.

spag23

On Moderation
So presumably the passenger can only be subject to the conditions they themselves were made aware of; not something specified in Company paperwork sent to someone else?
Another instance of contra proferentum. (Look it up :))

gray1404

Established Member
So presumably the passenger can only be subject to the conditions they themselves were made aware of; not something specified in Company paperwork sent to someone else?
Another instance of contra proferentum. (Look it up :))
Totally agree. So if a member of staff inserted a date not of my choosing and then I had to buy another ticket Northern would be liable to refund the cost of such ticket.