• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Delay Repay headache - how can my partner ger her money back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

M!T

My partner was due to commute from Bingley to Leeds on 30 May. She bought a return ticket from the machine in Bingley station. Due to the unfolding chaos at Leeds station caused by the trespass incident she decided to abandon her attempt to get to work and head back home. She asked the ticket office for a refund but they said she'd have to use Delay Repay because she'd bought her ticket from the machine and not over the counter. When she tried to use Delay Repay they initially offered her a refund on the return journey only. She pointed out that she hadn't embarked on her trip at all and needed a refund for both directions. They responded by saying she'd need to ask the ticket office at the station for a refund in that case. She pointed out that she'd already attempted to do that and had been directed to Delay Repay. They then said they'd have to transfer her claim to someone else. Since then she's heard nothing. Any ideas?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clip

Established Member
Ring them on 0800 200 6060 or send them a tweet to sort it out. But yeh never claim under delay repay for abandoned journey

Mathew S

Established Member
My partner was due to commute from Bingley to Leeds on 30 May. She bought a return ticket from the machine in Bingley station. Due to the unfolding chaos at Leeds station caused by the trespass incident she decided to abandon her attempt to get to work and head back home. She asked the ticket office for a refund but they said she'd have to use Delay Repay because she'd bought her ticket from the machine and not over the counter. When she tried to use Delay Repay they initially offered her a refund on the return journey only. She pointed out that she hadn't embarked on her trip at all and needed a refund for both directions. They responded by saying she'd need to ask the ticket office at the station for a refund in that case. She pointed out that she'd already attempted to do that and had been directed to Delay Repay. They then said they'd have to transfer her claim to someone else. Since then she's heard nothing. Any ideas?
Your best bet it to get in touch with Northern customer services. If you contact them through the webform at: https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/help/contact/318-make-a-complaint attaching a photo of the tickets, they should be able to process a refund for you.

Haywain

Veteran Member
To be clear though, you do not need to be making a delay repay claim. No travel was made so the ticket is unused and a refund is due, with no admin fee as it was due to disruption. The refund process is not the same as delay repay, and the refund is due from the operator of the TVM and station, which is Northern. The ticket office should have taken in the refund request.

TUC

Established Member
Out of interest, what would have been the position if the ticket had been bought at Leeds but from a LNER rather than a Northern TVM?

Mathew S

Established Member
Out of interest, what would have been the position if the ticket had been bought at Leeds but from a LNER rather than a Northern TVM?
In this case the ticket was purchased at Bingley, but if it had been Leeds, then I suspect that the ticket office at Leeds station would be the best placed to issue a refund. Failing that, the company operating the machine, so LNER machine, go to LNER customer services.
Leeds being a Network Rail managed station is a bit of an anomaly; but I've experienced similar issues at another managed station (Man Picc) and that's always been the position. Ticket office, or if not then the TOC operating the machine.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

Veteran Member
I abandoned my journey with NT/TPE booked online with LNER and using the TVM at Shipley. LNER refunded the journey in full within a week or so.

Wallsendmag

Established Member

Belperpete

Established Member
The ticket office should have taken in the refund request.
And even if they couldn't process a TVM refund, they should NOT have advised the customer to use delay repay. She should have been advised to contact customer services direct.

Mathew S

Established Member
So, she's had a cheque... for the wrong amount. :rolleyes:
Sadly not unusual for Northern. If it's more, just leave it. If not, phone them would be my advice; whenever they've got my claims wrong, a quick phonecall has always sorted it.

M!T

It's for less, predictably. I can tell her to phone them but we're not really sure who "them" is after the farce she's been through so far.

Mathew S

Established Member
It's for less, predictably. I can tell her to phone them but we're not really sure who "them" is after the farce she's been through so far.
The "them" in this instance is Northern, since that's who you are claiming the refund from. (At least, I assume it is, that's who the relevant ticket machine belonged to I think?)

Status
Not open for further replies.