• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Delay/Repay query, 2 people, outward and return both delayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello

Hoping someone could advise me about the following, any help much appreciated:

Two of my relatives were travelling from Ravenglass to Carlisle and return today. Their outward journey was delayed by 37 minutes, as the 1235 from Ravenglass terminated at Wokington due to crewing issues. Catching the following service from there to Carlisle meant they arrived at Carlisle at 1503, rather than their originally booked time of 1426.

The return journey (1737 from Carlisle) was delayed by 40 minutes, partly at Carlisle station and partly en-route, due to a loco fault, so they arrived at Ravenglass at 2010 rather than 1930.

The tickets were not discounted, and were all paid for as one transaction, using a Debit Card.

I'm hoping someone can advise, with regard to any potential Delay/Repay application:

1) Can they submit their claim jointly, using just the one form and enclosing the relevant tickets, or do they need to submit a seperate form for each person?

2) Can both the outward and return trips be claimed against using just the one form, or do they need to submit a form for each journey (one form for for outward and one for return)?

3) How much (in terms of percentage) would you expect them each to receive, based on the above total cost of the two Ravenglass to Carlisle return fares, and the answers to 1) and 2) above?

4) Would they be able to request this be repaid to the debit card used to purchase the tickets (given points 1) and 2) above, and also that both tickets were purchased in one transaction)?

Thanks in anticipation!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sheff1

Established Member
How much they are entitled to is as per the Northern Delay Repay scheme:

Delay of between 30 and 59 minutes: Compensation of one single ticket to anywhere on the Northern network. Or 50% of the cost of your single ticket or relevant portion of your return ticket.

So 50% of the 'relevant portion' for the outward journey and 50% for the return. The cost of the 'relevant portion' is half the return fare, so in total they should receive 50% of the price paid for each return ticket.

I will leave answers to the remaining questions to others.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Did they have Ravenglass to Carlisle Off Peak Day Return (CDR) fares?

If so it should be £6.35 each and I don't see why one form shouldn't suffice for the whole lot. Take a photo of the tickets before sending them with the form, in case it gets lost.

Northern free travel vouchers may be worth rather more than £6.35 so it may be better to tick that option.

island

Veteran Member
Northern will usually send out a couple of one-day Northern rovers in this situation, which may be preferable to DelayRepay entitlements.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Northern will usually send out a couple of one-day Northern rovers in this situation, which may be preferable to DelayRepay entitlements.

The cash alternative is a voucher to be exchanged at a Northern station ticket office, though from current experience reply time can be anything from one month to five months.

Status
Not open for further replies.