• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern - Disruption Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

GLENMAYE77

Hi,

Northern are currently advertising for 5 Disruption Controllers, based in Manchester.
The job description is ok but I was after anyone you may have more knowledge or insight into what the role is like and what the shift pattern is?

Cheers

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aivilo

Now this is only an assumption but something simple like 0700-1500 1500-2300 2300-0700 based on the coverage needed not sure on a rest day pattern.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Also curious why they want 5, would 5 of them have left all together?

Sounds like an interesting role though sounds like it could get extremely stressful?

Established Member
Specifically refers to continental shift pattern, so I'm assuming it is rotating shifts right around the clock. No real change from most control positions, imo.

GLENMAYE77

Is there anyone in a similar role who could give an insight into what it's like day to day?

martin2345uk

Established Member
Does anyone know what's meant exactly by "Man management experience"? I'm assuming it doesn't mean line management?

GLENMAYE77

Says communicating with train crews in times of disruption and working from the Control centre in Manchester. (I'm guessing this is the ROC?)

WCMLaddict

DSMs are shift managers not station managers.

I don’t think our control is based in the ROC, Square One more likely.

Man management means that you must have experience of something like managing crew resources which this job is largely about.

TeaTrain

I applied to this as it said full training will be provided. I have worked as a Conductor, Booking office, Platform Assistant and Rail Replacement Officer so I'm hoping they think this experience would be useful. Anyone else applied?

I'm also curious as to why they need five in one go. Mind you I'm not complaining XD

tiptoptaff

Established Member
I almost applied as it read to be Resource Management during disruption, which is what ~I do now without the added pressure of preplanning. And for extra cash. But the start date put me off - ~I have to give 3months notice so couldn't start in the first week of January!

Potato185

Says communicating with train crews in times of disruption and working from the Control centre in Manchester. (I'm guessing this is the ROC?)

Yep, it's the ROC based next to Ashburys station. At present us train crew speak to 'Train Crew Support', so I'm under the impress they're doing a bit of a reshuffle to make the most of staff and utilise other departments to create this new role.

DSMs are shift managers not station managers.

I don’t think our control is based in the ROC, Square One more likely.

I know Control are based at ROC, but with some departments still located at Square One such as IS. Certainly whilst I was a dispatcher for TPE, the Northern dispatchers were able to radio over to Control, but I've not heard manrail9 on the radios for a while... With more work going over to the ROC, and this role being one, I'd suggest the fact they're trying to relocate everyone to one building? Not too sure for the fine details.

cin88

Yep, it's the ROC based next to Ashburys station. At present us train crew speak to 'Train Crew Support', so I'm under the impress they're doing a bit of a reshuffle to make the most of staff and utilise other departments to create this new role.

I know Control are based at ROC, but with some departments still located at Square One such as IS. Certainly whilst I was a dispatcher for TPE, the Northern dispatchers were able to radio over to Control, but I've not heard manrail9 on the radios for a while... With more work going over to the ROC, and this role being one, I'd suggest the fact they're trying to relocate everyone to one building? Not too sure for the fine details.

Manrail 9 is still very active, it's one the most active of the call signs. 9, 12 and base make up most the chatter on the Manrail during a "normal" day.

Potato185

Manrail 9 is still very active, it's one the most active of the call signs. 9, 12 and base make up most the chatter on the Manrail during a "normal" day.

Thanks for confirming. Must be just not paying attention these days haha.

Established Member
Control room structure varies operator to operator. But generally....

DCM = Duty Control Manager.
Operations Controller / Units Man = Handles Position of Trains.
Traincrew = Handles Movement of Traincrew.
Maintenance Man = You ring him up, he asks if you've got sellotape, or WD40 to fix it yourself.
Retail Controller = Tickets, Passengers, Stations PAs, PIDs, Shouting abuse down help points etc

I do reckon this new role is additional, and will sit with the DCM and be trained to monitor decisions for their delay minutes impact. Financially, punctuality is a massive earner or loser, hence some operators were exposed paying their DCMs a very hefty performance bonus. That incentive led to bad decisions and punctuality at a number of operators often getting put ahead of safety, which was unforgivable. I do wonder whether this is another attempt to influence sensible decision making...

"no wheels? for god's sake man don't slow down!!!" :lol:

TeaTrain

Did anyone else apply to this? I haven't heard anything back yet so just thought I would ask.

Thanks

Potato185

It appears the rejection emails have gone out! Even those who I work with that are ideal material have been rejected.

Guess others have failed?

galaxynew

Just wondering if anyone on here got one of the positions when they were created or knows more about them?

Eccles1983

On Moderation
Disruption controllers sit in Northern Control.

The role is to deal with live time delays, to see if a driver/conductors delay is going to effect any other booked work and if so how to minimise it.

They have no powers over train movements, only crew. So they can call up a spare to cover a working of a late running crew, or give advice to DCM about cancelling trains. They are a buffer between crew and control who has to deal with Network Control, other TOC's etc.

That's it effectively. They are there to assist control in trying to make the job work. I know a lad who does it. It can be stressful when the job goes to pot. I know a few who when left on there own have just walked off when it goes proper tits up.

galaxynew

Thanks Eccles1983

Made me laugh saying "a few just got up and walked off", perhaps suggests not the job for them

There was a position advertised but as the expiry date has passed you can't click on it now, couldn't remember the exact job description and what the shifts and salary were.

Llama

Established Member
During the thick of the meltdown in March/April at Preston when Blackpool North 'reopened', and then the wider meltdown when the May 2018 TT shambles happened, we could get more sense from talking to the cab seat than from the disruption controllers. That's if we could get in touch with one at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.