• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern: DO NOT TRAVEL 24th & 31st December

Status
Not open for further replies.

northwichcat

Established Member
Due to a shortage of train crew, we will be operating a reduced service on Christmas Eve with services finishing earlier than usual and multiple routes being impacted by disruption. Customers are advised to plan their journey and check before they travel. Customers with tickets dated 24th December can use their tickets on any Northern service on 22nd December & 23rd December.

Customers on the following routes are advised DO NOT TRAVEL on Sunday 24th December. All trains on these routes will be cancelled and replacement road transport will not be provided:
Lancaster - Morecambe - Heysham Port
Blackpool South - Colne
Wigan - Stalybridge
Clitheroe - Manchester Victoria
Manchester Victoria - Chester
Manchester Piccadilly - Chester via Altrincham
Manchester Piccadilly - Crewe

Unacceptable from Northern. Do passengers with tickets have a legal right for Northern to provide hotels or taxis?

I would imagine many people with a ticket dated 24 December will not be able to travel on 22 or 23 December instead. If people were able to travel to family members on 22 or 23 they probably would, rather than wait until Christmas Eve.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Funny that this is all in the North-West. I bet the east will only see a couple of ad hoc cancellations (unit faults etc.)

TrainGeekUK

I’ve not travelled on any trains for months now and quite frankly the way in which the railways are run today is a disgrace, epitomised by the above “news“ from Northern.

I remember the trains in the 70s and 80s that were falling apart, but at least you got a service that was more reliable then than it is now.

I feel really sorry for the customers who only have Northern and Avanti as the only applicable services available.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I’ve not travelled on any trains for months now and quite frankly the way in which the railways are run today is a disgrace, epitomised by the above “news“ from Northern.

I remember the trains in the 70s and 80s that were falling apart, but at least you got a service that was more reliable then than it is now.

I feel really sorry for the customers who only have Northern and Avanti as the only applicable services available.

Yep, at least I can walk to Stockport in 40min if it's dry (or even if it's not) from where I have a wide variety of services.

northwichcat

Established Member

I use both Northern and Avanti for work purposes and I find Northern are worse by far. For a while Avanti reduced Manchester-London to 2tph (and have done so again on Saturdays) but they seem to have fewer last minute cancellations than Northern. 24 December won't be the first time Northern have provided no services on certain routes on non-strike days. They've managed to do that on days following strike action before.

It also seems they don't take account of what alternatives are available when deciding to suspend services. Places like Knutsford, Alderley Edge, Chelford, Lostock Gralam etc. have no Sunday bus services. Most of the places served by Hazel Grove/Buxton services have a regular bus alternative.

Established Member
Terrible incompetence. Need to fire the managing director, Nicholas Donovan and his replacement Chief Operating Officer Tricia Williams.

Shouldn't be seeing this so late in the day. Should have been an emergency timetable finalised several weeks ago.

WARNING: DO NOT TRAVEL. DO NOT GO HOME. DO NOT CELEBRATE CHRISTMAS. HANDS FACE SPACE, WERE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER, STOP THE BOATS, SEND THE RAILWAY MANAGEMENT TO RWANDA.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
London North Western are saying the same

Very much not. They've issued a warning but not a DO NOT TRAVEL, and on the Abbey Line a replacement bus will operate.

It is disgraceful that Northern are allowed to get away with this.

Shouldn't be seeing this so late in the day. Should have been an emergency timetable finalised several weeks ago.

Agreed, this could have been predicted some time back. Same for LNR - they must have known they had a problem at least a couple of weeks ago and could have prepared and published an emergency timetable variant (even if it was e.g. just removing the Tring semifasts and stepping up the MKC stoppers with it all running 12 car).

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Looks to me that the issue is staff on the West not wanting to work overtime on Christmas Eve. Not sure how they could avoid this really as if people don't want to work overtime there's not a lot you can do!

The exile

Established Member
Unacceptable from Northern. Do passengers with tickets have a legal right for Northern to provide hotels or taxis?

I would imagine many people with a ticket dated 24 December will not be able to travel on 22 or 23 December instead. If people were able to travel to family members on 22 or 23 they probably would, rather than wait until Christmas Eve.
Northern are nationalised so the buck stops, morally if not legally, with the Secretary of State.Maybe everyone who has to make alternative arrangements should send him the bill.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Looks to me that the issue is staff on the West not wanting to work overtime on Christmas Eve. Not sure how they could avoid this really as if people don't want to work overtime there's not a lot you can do!

You can prepare plans in advance. They didn't find out that staff didn't want to work yesterday. Or if they did they're incompetent!

(You can also get buses in. Yes, it might be a challenge getting drivers, but if you offer enough pay someone will - it might be costly but if you paid 50 quid an hour you would certainly get volunteers!)

Established Member
There is. No-then should be planning the emergency timetable around the staff they have NOT the staff they might have / grow on tree / fall out of the sky.

Hopefully it blows up with the public and the red top media demanding where the 40% minimum service level. Even though the new law does not apply in this circumstance.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Where is the Rail Regulator of the Tom Winsor variety who would hand out fines for this sort of thing?

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Hopefully it blows up with the public and the red top media demanding where the 40% minimum service level. Even though the new law does not apply in this circumstance.

They should have applied it to work in these circumstances. Even RMT strike days still have a skeleton service!

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Realistically the number of people travelling on Christmas Eve, when it is a Sunday, is likely to be limited in any case.

Most people will have made arrangements to travel earlier if they need to do so.

If that wasn't the case, there wouldn't be major engineering starting on Sunday on various major routes.

Failed Unit

Established Member
You can prepare plans in advance. They didn't find out that staff didn't want to work yesterday. Or if they did they're incompetent!

(You can also get buses in. Yes, it might be a challenge getting drivers, but if you offer enough pay someone will - it might be costly but if you paid 50 quid an hour you would certainly get volunteers!)
EMR have done just that, if they can run it, is an entirely different question, but I assume as it worked by volunteering overtime they needed to ask the drivers a long time ago and the fact no-one said must have being known about a long time ago? Unless they really are asking for staff the week before?

skyhigh

Established Member
It's a perfect storm. Sunday and Christmas Eve. For crew on the West, Sundays are voluntary overtime. Staff have been offered an additional signing on bonus but they still don't have the numbers needed to run a service.

They should have applied it to work in these circumstances. Even RMT strike days still have a skeleton service!
How exactly, without forcing staff to work their contractual day off?

gazzaa2

Poor but Christmas Eve tends to be quiet on a lot of routes at least and the fact it's on Sunday most people will have travelled before then. Some of the reasons that have led to a staff shortfall on TOCs will also have meant less demand from passengers on the day.

Not good enough for those who haven't, but it's got to the point where you can't rely on the railway anymore.

Moonshot

Established Member
This is absolutely correct. At my depot just 3 conductors have agreed to work ...... leaving some 90% of jobs uncovered. It also appears no one is interested in the £100 incentive

northwichcat

Established Member
Realistically the number of people travelling on Christmas Eve, when it is a Sunday, is likely to be limited in any case.

Most people will have made arrangements to travel earlier if they need to do so.

If that wasn't the case, there wouldn't be major engineering starting on Sunday on various major routes.

There's alternatives for those affected by engineering works (either an alternative line or replacement bus). Northern have just decided to suspend services on routes with less than 48 hours notice given to passengers. How is someone scheduled to work tomorrow supposed to rearrange their shift now, so they don't have to travel on Sunday?

This is absolutely correct. At my depot just 3 conductors have agreed to work ...... leaving some 90% of jobs uncovered. It also appears no one is interested in the £100 incentive

What's the expectation for the following Sunday? Is there hope for an even slightly better service?

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Even on lines not mentioned in the DO NOT TRAVEL list, there's still a lot of cancellations
Windermere isn't on the list, but has no trains.

At least ticket acceptance is there for today and tomorrow for tickets dated for the 24th.
But I worry plenty of people won't see about this until Sunday.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

There is. No-then should be planning the emergency timetable around the staff they have NOT the staff they might have / grow on tree / fall out of the sky.
Is this not what they've done? They've confirmed what resource they have avaliable, have planned a timetable accordingly and given the instruction not to travel on the basis that timetable is severely limited?

If they'd published this a week ago or longer would they not then be getting crucified for "throwing the towel in"?

Feels like no matter what they do they're going to get criticised when fundamentally the staff don't have to work overtime and Northern have very limited options to induce them to do so.

northwichcat

Established Member
How exactly, without forcing staff to work their contractual day off?

Really one for a separate thread but no business providing a service on Sunday should be relying on people to volunteer to work Sundays.

But I worry plenty of people won't see about this until Sunday.

I think even people who have purchased tickets via apps won't get any notifications until the service they are booked to travel on is actually cancelled in the system. And not everyone will select a return service (or even date) when booking an open return.

alistairlees

Established Member
Northern: this is just completely unacceptable. People plan important events (like visiting relatives at Christmas time) around the service that you promise. Many will have planned some way in advance and will find it difficult to make alternative arrangements. This short-notice behaviour will simply teach existing and potential customers that they should not plan to rely on - or even to use - the railway. Every bad PR event like this undoes the work of 10 or more good things that happen on the railway, which is already in a precarious position financially and reputationally. You are bringing the railway into disrepute. This has to stop.

northwichcat

Established Member
If they'd published this a week ago or longer would they not then be getting crucified for "throwing the towel in"?

For a while if you book an Avanti service weeks in advance there's a note next to the service warning it may be subject to change. Did Northern not think to do this, when they first became aware there might be an issue? At least 2/3rds of the Avanti services that have warnings against them do actually operate, but it does encourage passengers to double check the day before.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Do passengers with tickets have a legal right for Northern to provide hotels or taxis?
Yes, no different to any other day (unless there's some argument the contract is 'frustrated' - but this would be incredibly rare and clearly isn't applicable here).

Of course they will likely need to litigate if they intend to rely on this right.

Moonshot

Established Member
Northern: this is just completely unacceptable. People plan important events (like visiting relatives at Christmas time) around the service that you promise. Many will have planned some way in advance and will find it difficult to make alternative arrangements. This short-notice behaviour will simply teach existing and potential customers that they should not plan to rely on - or even to use - the railway. Every bad PR event like this undoes the work of 10 or more good things that happen on the railway, which is already in a precarious position financially and reputationally. You are bringing the railway into disrepute. This has to stop.
What do you expect Northern to do if staff don't want to work overtime ( which they are perfectly entitled to refuse )?

skyhigh

Established Member
Really one for a separate thread but no business providing a service on Sunday should be relying on people to volunteer to work Sundays.
A position which is agreed by the Unions and the Company. But - bringing Sundays inside means a larger establishment of crew. And the DfT/Treasury isn't willing to pay for that.

Pumbaa

Established Member

It’s a bit difficult when this all happens in the week leading up. Staff will have seen the 7 Day markup issued over the weekend for next Sunday, and chucked in their job. All processed early this week by resource teams, timescales are what they are. By the time you’ve done assurance, planning, approvals etc, doing that within a week is good going.

Northern aren’t the only TOC in the dumps here, and it’s not “their” fault. Fault really lies with antiquated Sunday working arrangements.

Status
Not open for further replies.