• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern: DO NOT TRAVEL 24th & 31st December

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
I think even people who have purchased tickets via apps won't get any notifications until the service they are booked to travel on is actually cancelled in the system.
They're cancelled on RTT (and other NR stream systems)
Not sure why they're not cancelled in ticket selling systems, Northern's website (but not Avanti's or trainsplit) is displaying a "this service will be cancelled message" but is not yet actually cancelled, why they can't cancel it like normal is beyond me.

Disruption Alert​

This Northern train will be cancelled. The Journey Planner will be updated and correct by the end of 23 December.more info

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

northwichcat

Established Member
What do you expect Northern to do if staff don't want to work overtime ( which they are perfectly entitled to refuse )?

There's better ways of handling it. Look at what London Northwestern are planning - one route with a suspended service that gets rail replacement buses, and up to 50% of services cancelled on other routes. They're advising services will be busy on 24 Dec and are accepting tickets dated for 24 Dec tomorrow as well. That means everyone should be able to get where they need to be (albeit delayed in many cases). With Northern it's a case of get a taxi or lift if you can't travel on Saturday instead.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Feels like no matter what they do they're going to get criticised when fundamentally the staff don't have to work overtime
To be fair, yes - any state corporation, other or substantially publicly-subsidised provider, would be criticised in strong terms if they were to give up completely and tell their service users it's hard luck, even the ones with advance bookings.

The actual details as to why will never cut through with the general public, but throwing in the towel completely and saying "we can't be bothered to help you find another way, sorry not sorry" will do.

Jan Mayen

Perhaps TOCs which have voluntary overtime on Sundays should stop running services on Sundays until and unless they are inside the working week? I think that's what I'd prefer.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
Northwich is still showing a full service on RTT (until 8pm), as is Blackpool South, but according to journey check they'll be no trains at all.
It's not, there's a weird thing with cancelled trains, you need to select CAN as an option in the search or they show as WTT in searches.

northwichcat

Established Member
It's not, there's a weird thing with cancelled trains, you need to select CAN as an option in the search or they show as WTT in searches.

Ah OK. I'm used to seeing the word Cancel, like this: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se...2/1400-1600?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=NT
or the service 'disappearing' e.g. no 17:52 from Stockport to Chester: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se...2/1700-1800?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=NT

CyrusWuff

Established Member
They're cancelled on RTT (and other NR stream systems)
Not sure why they're not cancelled in ticket selling systems, Northern's website (but not Avanti's or trainsplit) is displaying a "this service will be cancelled message" but is not yet actually cancelled, why they can't cancel it like normal is beyond me.
If they've been cancelled today, some (most?) retail systems won't reflect the change until the updated timetable feed is sent out overnight, depending on which system has been used to process the cancellations.

Starmill

Veteran Member
What do you expect Northern to do if staff don't want to work overtime ( which they are perfectly entitled to refuse )?
Well it's not like it's a surprise to anyone that conductors (of the relevant conditions) aren't obliged to work on Sundays is it? It has been known for weeks there'll be next to no volunteers. It's also not like there's a shortage of replacement bus drivers on the morning of Christmas Eve either. There'd only be a need for four or five services given the do not travel message would stand. Also this bus work could have been booked months ago, it was very predictable.

It’s a bit difficult when this all happens in the week leading up. Staff will have seen the 7 Day markup issued over the weekend for next Sunday, and chucked in their job. All processed early this week by resource teams, timescales are what they are. By the time you’ve done assurance, planning, approvals etc, doing that within a week is good going.

Northern aren’t the only TOC in the dumps here, and it’s not “their” fault. Fault really lies with antiquated Sunday working arrangements.
Er, it's been known about for several years I'd suggest. Nobody in their right mind would imagine conductors (of the relevant conditions) would work on Sunday when it's Christmas Eve in anything like the required number.

northwichcat

Established Member
Also this bus work could have been booked months ago, it was very predictable.

I remember when Bolton-Manchester was closed they seemed to have spare buses on standby at Piccadilly and ran the number needed based on the number of passengers who turned up.

Starmill

Veteran Member
You can also get buses in. Yes, it might be a challenge getting drivers, but if you offer enough pay someone will - it might be costly but if you paid 50 quid an hour you would certainly get volunteers!
There's not really a shortage of availability. There's good availability at market rates. Market rate for Christmas Eve 0800 - 1600 will be in the region of £1k all in, bus and driver. Plenty local independents happy to provide at that rate, plenty drivers willing to do it as they'll be sipping their Christmas Eve cocoa with their families by 1700 and a nice bit of cash in the bank for their trouble.

Problem is purely that Arriva Road Transport's Northern contracts pay about half of that...

I remember when Bolton-Manchester was closed they seemed to have spare buses on standby at Piccadilly and ran the number needed based on the number of passengers who turned up.
Indeed. Funny how when Network Rail are on the hook for the costs, there's money for road transport, but when the cause is a shortage of train crew or units there's pleading of no buses available...

Ah OK. I'm used to seeing the word Cancel, like this: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se...2/1400-1600?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=NT
or the service 'disappearing' e.g. no 17:52 from Stockport to Chester: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se...2/1700-1800?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=NT
Don't worry it hasn't disappeared, it's very much there https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:W31447/2023-12-22/detailed

Last edited:

The exile

Established Member
Not to stop attempting to provide alternatives until every avenue has been exhausted. If that means all the directors etc getting behind the wheel of their own cars then so be it.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Realistically the number of people travelling on Christmas Eve, when it is a Sunday, is likely to be limited in any case.

Most people will have made arrangements to travel earlier if they need to do so.

If that wasn't the case, there wouldn't be major engineering starting on Sunday on various major routes.
A lot of people will be travelling on Sunday if they're working Saturday or Sunday daytime, or if accommodation means that they've only got Sunday night (or Sunday night and Monday night).

Of course, they'll be travelling by road because they'll know the train service isn't to be relied upon.

alistairlees

Established Member
I expect them to plan, organise and run things competently. Not give out a notice like this 1.5 days before Xmas Eve. That's not competent; it's the opposite.

bramling

Veteran Member
You can prepare plans in advance. They didn't find out that staff didn't want to work yesterday. Or if they did they're incompetent!

(You can also get buses in. Yes, it might be a challenge getting drivers, but if you offer enough pay someone will - it might be costly but if you paid 50 quid an hour you would certainly get volunteers!)

Generally in my experience Christmas is a difficult time to get people in, even with significant incentives. Yes I’m sure if the price is right people will volunteer, but this then introduces the question as to at what point it becomes unviable or simply undesirable from an economic point of view.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Not to stop attempting to provide alternatives until every avenue has been exhausted. If that means all the directors etc getting behind the wheel of their own cars then so be it.
Stagecoach Rail Replacement aren't magicing up stand-by buses for LNER on Christmas Eve from thin air, of course.

Llandudno

Established Member
Surely it’s time for Northern to be Nationalised…?

Oh wait!!

Starmill

Veteran Member
Northern: this is just completely unacceptable. People plan important events (like visiting relatives at Christmas time) around the service that you promise. Many will have planned some way in advance and will find it difficult to make alternative arrangements. This short-notice behaviour will simply teach existing and potential customers that they should not plan to rely on - or even to use - the railway. Every bad PR event like this undoes the work of 10 or more good things that happen on the railway, which is already in a precarious position financially and reputationally. You are bringing the railway into disrepute. This has to stop.
I note Northern do not have arrangements for tickets to be accepted by Transport for Wales on Manchester - Crewe / Chester routes, or by Stagecoach Cumbria & North Lancashire on their Lancaster - Morecombe routes.

Is that because Northern tried their best to get that arranged as part of planning for Christmas services and found it wasn't possible, but haven't explained that publicly, or is it because they haven't considered it and don't see a need to attempt it?

wilbers

Wigan->Stalybridge (or vice-versa) is also a journey possible to make by different routes and it doesn't give an alternative for that for those who can't travel earlier.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Wigan->Stalybridge (or vice-versa) is also a journey possible to make by different routes and it doesn't give an alternative for that for those who can't travel earlier.
Agreed Stagecoach Manchester / Bee Network Go North West cover nearly all of it. There may be some TransPennine Express services but I didn't check if those were actually running.

EZJ

Funnily enough management were told weeks ago that this would happen and they would need to offer a credible booking on incentive which was laughed at. It was only when they realised that about 95% of the service was uncovered that they offered a paltry £100. Too little too late and here we are.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Where is the Rail Regulator of the Tom Winsor variety who would hand out fines for this sort of thing?
The ‘Regulator’ has never ‘enforced’ service provision matters. This has been done by the Office of Passenger Rail Franchising, Strategic Rail Authority or Department for Transport. (I am not referring to Scotland, Wales, London, Liverpool or Open Access.)
I suppose that for the English ‘nationalised’ operators, including Northern, it’s now down to Directly Operated Railways in the first instance.

Established Member
Very much not. They've issued a warning but not a DO NOT TRAVEL, and on the Abbey Line a replacement bus will operate.

It is disgraceful that Northern are allowed to get away with this.

Agreed, this could have been predicted some time back. Same for LNR - they must have known they had a problem at least a couple of weeks ago and could have prepared and published an emergency timetable variant (even if it was e.g. just removing the Tring semifasts and stepping up the MKC stoppers with it all running 12 car).
As you've been told multiple times (but keep claiming), the timetable isn't structured to allow removal of the Trings as that isn't how the diagrams work, and this is a diagram issue. There will be next to no service on Sunday as they are saying, the CIS screens all say do not travel already for Sunday.

Adam Williams

Established Member
If they've been cancelled today, some (most?) retail systems won't reflect the change until the updated timetable feed is sent out overnight, depending on which system has been used to process the cancellations.
Without really looking much at this particular case, TrainSplit does pull data from Darwin for realtime cancellations and delays to try and avoid selling tickets for services that won't run or connections that have no hope of working out. Sounds like something else is going on with these services, perhaps. Either that or a bug to investigate in the New Year I suppose (though it's odd it wouldn't have cropped up before).

Edit: Having looked a bit further, I don't think these services have been cancelled in Darwin (despite presumably being within the 48h window?) at all. I'm not sure where the "This train will be cancelled" service message comes from, whether it's something NRE-side or a Darwin push-port trainAlert. If anyone knows I'd be interested.

Last edited:

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
A lot of people will be travelling on Sunday if they're working Saturday or Sunday daytime, or if accommodation means that they've only got Sunday night (or Sunday night and Monday night).

Of course, they'll be travelling by road because they'll know the train service isn't to be relied upon.
I have accommodation booked for those two nights, I will be travelling by road. The railway (or certain parts thereof) has obviously decided it doesn't need my money any longer.

jonnyfan

Funnily enough management were told weeks ago that this would happen and they would need to offer a credible booking on incentive which was laughed at. It was only when they realised that about 95% of the service was uncovered that they offered a paltry £100. Too little too late and here we are.
It was entirely predictable, it's been a complete failure of upper management to prepare for this situation. A reasonable acknowledgement, a few weeks earlier with a reasonable offer to conductors would have avoided all of this.

Train_manager

Surely it’s time for Northern to be Nationalised…?

Oh wait!!
When the railway was nationalised under BR Sunday was worked as o/t.

So nothings changed. Because DFT and Tory government don't want it to change.

Chickens come home to roost.

And a £100 booked on fee for Xmas Eve. No thanks !!!!!!!

It's a whiskey for me(at home with the family)

Cheers all and a Merry Christmas to all.

From what I've been told, between 4 North West depots (Vic, Picc, Blackburn and I think Wigan) there are only 8 conductors who have volunteered to sign on for duty on Xmas eve.

Status
Not open for further replies.