• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern - Driver Training Apprenticeship, Blackpool and Liverpool (07/04/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fran1878

Thanks for posting this.

I know it's hard to gauge - but how early are/can adverts be pulled? I'm planning on completing my statements to the Motivation/Concentration skills tomorrow but I'm concerned having read other threads the advert might be pulled after as little as a day.

Thanks.

Owen2323

Theoretically anytime but from my experience Northern generally let it run until the end.......

Red Devil

5 jobs I believe at Liverpool. These will be added to the 12 that have been sat around for nearly 3yrs who will be on full rate shortly never having turned a wheel.

ollie_hobbs

I live within the 45min travel time for Liverpool so I will apply for this.

If I also apply for Blackpool although I live around a 1h 10min drive away would this count against me if I copy my application and apply for both? Thanks in advance

WBFC345

If I also apply for Blackpool although I live around a 1h 10min drive away would this count against me if I copy my application and apply for both? Thanks in advance
If it states live within 45 minutes drive, they obviously won’t accept you living another 25 minutes away! They won’t be short of applicants, they will sift you out straight away!

skyhigh

Established Member

If you live well over the 45 mins you will almost certainly be sifted out, so if I was you I wouldn't waste my time.

In a previous thread you said you'd applied to the depot driver role at Neville Hill (which I believe also has the 45 min limit), so you might raise a few eyebrows if you claim to be within 45 minutes for both Leeds and Liverpool!

ollie_hobbs

Anybody else having trouble to apply? When I do the references it says error page..
The Northern references page is really picky, make sure every "*" field is filled in as required. Sometimes you are also unable to edit references details so you might have to re-add them to get it past validation.

If you live well over the 45 mins you will almost certainly be sifted out, so if I was you I wouldn't waste my time.

In a previous thread you said you'd applied to the depot driver role at Neville Hill (which I believe also has the 45 min limit), so you might raise a few eyebrows if you claim to be within 45 minutes for both Leeds and Liverpool!
Yes I realised this may raise a few eyebrows. However I currently live with my family, and they are now separated in Leeds and Warrington addresses so I move in-between both of them and could basically commute from either address. I have explained this is the field where it asks how you will travel. Do you think this may cause an issue?

Last edited:

NorthernTech

At the start of the Northern application it has a few pre-application criteria that you need to satisfy in order to begin the application, such as ‘do you have defective colour vision’ etc, and one of the others is ‘do you live within 45 mins of the depot you are applying to’. It says further that you will be asked later in the process for proof of address. So as long as you can prove you live there you will be fine.

Last edited:

Red Devil

As I've replied in another thread. Northern are very strict on the commute time and won't entertain "promises" to relocate when later on they turn out to be a depot transfer request or welfare move.

Aivilo

The Northern references page is really picky, make sure every "*" field is filled in as required. Sometimes you are also unable to edit references details so you might have to re-add them to get it past validation.

Yes I realised this may raise a few eyebrows. However I currently live with my family, and they are now separated in Leeds and Warrington addresses so I move in-between both of them and could basically commute from either address. I have explained this is the field where it asks how you will travel. Do you think this may cause an issue?

Can you elaborate on commuting from two different addresses

ollie_hobbs

Can you elaborate on commuting from two different addresses
So I don't own a house and I live with family currently.
I don't want to give my full family story over the forums but basically my family are sadly separated - one lives in Leeds and the other lives in Warrington, so if I were to get a job at either site I can just stay with X family member instead of the other. Is this much of a problem? It's difficult to explain.

I'm more concerned if it would count against my Leeds application if I submit my application for Liverpool, but I can provide evidence for living at either address. I haven't yet submitted my application for this reason. :s

NorthernTech

I don't want to give my full family story over the forums but basically my family are sadly separated - one lives in Leeds and the other lives in Warrington, so if I were to get a job at either site I can just stay with X family member instead of the other. Is this much of a problem? It's difficult to explain.

I'm more concerned if it would count against my Leeds application if I submit my application for Liverpool, but I can provide evidence for living at either address. I haven't yet submitted my application for this reason. :s
Send them an email explaining this and see what they say. It’s a reasonable enough explanation, and sounds like you have proof available should they require it. They may say you can use only one address, they may not, but I’d definitely seek a direct answer from them first. I don’t think they want to dissuade genuine people, but those who are applying for everywhere who say they can relocate or just chancers making up addresses..

Aivilo

No need to explain the details buddy, it just hinted at potentially commuting from either for these NW positions.

As Northerntech highlighted it may be a good idea to drop them a message to clarify things to save any potential issues going forward

ollie_hobbs

Turns out the Liverpool position closed early anyway, guess I won't submit this time. The Blackpool position is still open for those still interested.

Driver068

Are northern due a pay rise? They seem to be the lowest paid out of all the TOCs
No not currently - due talks but early days. Northern employees were told last year and begining of this thats there is NO pay rise and there will be a pay freeze. However with ASLEF being in dispute of late there as some indications there maybe a rise at some point, how much, when and is this even going to be the case - your guess is as good as mine.

Also whilst on the subject there is also NO rest day working (RDW) and railway rumour being that there is NO aspiration for Northern to bring it back - i only mention as there are some new drivers that have bitten more of than they can chew - so please anyone applying for Northern, dont expect to see a pay rise or to work rest days anytime soon.

Frankie4763

No not currently - due talks but early days. Northern employees were told last year and begining of this thats there is NO pay rise and there will be a pay freeze. However with ASLEF being in dispute of late there as some indications there maybe a rise at some point, how much, when and is this even going to be the case - your guess is as good as mine.

Also whilst on the subject there is also NO rest day working (RDW) and railway rumour being that there is NO aspiration for Northern to bring it back - i only mention as there are some new drivers that have bitten more of than they can chew - so please anyone applying for Northern, dont expect to see a pay rise or to work rest days anytime soon.
Thank you very much for your excellent reply

Red Devil

Pay talks commence 29th April. RDW will come back eventually,it's the only way they'll get this backlog of training and road learning clear. Might not need on the current timetable but when services increase they'll need them.

Frankie4763

Pay talks commence 29th April. RDW will come back eventually,it's the only way they'll get this backlog of training and road learning clear. Might not need on the current timetable but when services increase they'll need them.
Many thanks

sleeperguy

Thanks for the heads up, applied for the Liverpool position before it closed. Good luck all.

Had an email saying my application is under consideration and is being screened. Anyone else?

Last edited:

mechanic2

Just on the back of this, apologies for my ignorance but what does no rest day working actually mean? Is it a meaning for no overtime?

NorthernTech

Just on the back of this, apologies for my ignorance but what does no rest day working actually mean? Is it a meaning for no overtime?
I think this means that due to reduced service levels still, that there is no overtime available for rest days. So if you are wanting/needing rest day working for your income then don’t rely on it being available.

skyhigh

Established Member
I think this means that due to reduced service levels still, that there is no overtime available for rest days.
No, it does not. It means that there is no agreement between ASLEF and Northern for rest day working to take place, so it doesn't. Even with the reduced timetable there are still a fair number of uncovered turns that could be covered by rest day working (and indeed were until the last agreement ended) but no agreement means it doesn't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.