• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Drivers - Sheffield

Status
Not open for further replies.

KP26

Hi All, I have an interview coming up for a Trainee Driver role based at Sheffield. Just wondered if anyone could tell me what routes and traction they sign at Sheffield?

Also don't suppose anyone knows how many they are looking to recruit? Just wondering if there are actually any vacancies or whether it will be a Talent Pool.

Any info appreciated... and if anyone has any interview insight then even better!

Cheers!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busyboy89

Hi All, I have an interview coming up for a Trainee Driver role based at Sheffield. Just wondered if anyone could tell me what routes and traction they sign at Sheffield?

Also don't suppose anyone knows how many they are looking to recruit? Just wondering if there are actually any vacancies or whether it will be a Talent Pool.

Any info appreciated... and if anyone has any interview insight then even better!

Cheers!
Firstly good luck with your interview! :) I can’t help with the interview as I’m waiting to hear back myself. Do you mind telling me when you applied? I applied 20th jan, just had an email saying they have had a large number of applicants and to give them 2 weeks to go through them. Thanks in advance :)

KP26

Cheers! I applied for Sheffield a few days before the closing date (can't remember exactly when that was, think about 2/3 weeks ago) and got an invite to interview last week.

TreacleMiller

Hmm, reading this makes me worry a bit now. I applied a day or so before close but havent had an interview confirmation yet. :rolleyes:

I know people who have been declined already though, and ive not had that. I did get the "large volumes of applicants" email with a two week response window - nowt as of yet.

How did you get the offer? Call or email?

KP26

Hmm, reading this makes me worry a bit now. I applied a day or so before close but havent had an interview confirmation yet. :rolleyes:

I know people who have been declined already though, and ive not had that. I did get the "large volumes of applicants" email with a two week response window - nowt as of yet.

How did you get the offer? Call or email?

My application status changed to “assessment” a few days after the closing date then I got an email inviting me for interview. If you haven’t been declined yet then I wouldn’t worry, stay positive!

TreacleMiller

Ha, no ill try not to.

Relatively confident what I've written on the application and the jobs I've held to date should be enough to get me infront of someone but this is a major career change should it happen.

Fingers crossed.

TreacleMiller

Like you though I'm very much interested to know if this is for a talent pool or actual roles.....

Jason.bourne

I’m pretty sure it’s for a position and not a pool. Only my opinion though, however the amount of applicants will probably create a pool which people then get syphoned out of into training lol.
Frustratingly long process.

Do you have your interviews this week?
I’m applying at Sheffield myself, Still waiting on an update.

sheffBlue

I’m pretty sure it’s for a position and not a pool. Only my opinion though, however the amount of applicants will probably create a pool which people then get syphoned out of into training lol.

I have also applied for Sheffield but trying to log onto the site today there's a message saying they're going through the switch over to Arriva and if you've not heard by the 1st March then you've got to reapply when the role is re-advertised.

TreacleMiller

I have also applied for Sheffield but trying to log onto the site today there's a message saying they're going through the switch over to Arriva and if you've not heard by the 1st March then you've got to reapply when the role is re-advertised.

Lovely, that's different to what HR told me last week but hey hum there you go.

I did wonder how they'd be able to recruit properly without access to the DB careers portal etc.

Does make me wonder it will be relisted on the new site or if they will wait to see what the current field of people already interviewed are like.

I don't see why you'd filter through all the applications when 20 of the first 50 are at the very least worthy of an interview.

Taylor-j01

My mate has applied for Darlington and he has just had a reply back

“Unfortunately we are no longer progressing with this role”

We was wondering what this meant?
Does that meen its end of progress for him ? Like a generic email they send out
Or does that meen no longer recruiting for the position

KP26

Yes I have my interview at the end of the week. Really hoping it’s for roles they need to fill and not just Talent Pool

Busyboy89

Hey has anyone who applied for
Sheffield had the email about ‘no longer progressing with this role’?

Cheers

Last edited:

dan4291

I've got that too. I think it's due to the franchise coming to an end so Arriva are ending open applications. From what I've read elsewhere on this forum we may need to re-apply once the franchise switches to the government operator.

TreacleMiller

Yes I have my interview at the end of the week. Really hoping it’s for roles they need to fill and not just Talent Pool

Best of luck to you buddy. If you do find anything out like number of positions and if it's a pool etc would you kindly let us know?

ST

Unfortunately they have either filled or pulled the role. It has happened to me in the past and not great news, I did find they advertised the role again in the future, so you never know.

TreacleMiller

Checked this morning again, still shows as in progress and not had the email.

Certainly assuming I'm reapplying though, If it's relisted obviously.

Can't see there being more than 2-3 jobs at the most so if there is enough already at the interview stage I'd imagine they would go through those candidates first before opening it back up

Busyboy89

Checked this morning again, still shows as in progress and not had the email.

Certainly assuming I'm reapplying though, If it's relisted obviously.

Can't see there being more than 2-3 jobs at the most so if there is enough already at the interview stage I'd imagine they would go through those candidates first before opening it back up
I’m in same boat all we can do is wait and what will be will be :)

samuel791

It’s a position, but you end up in a pool for a good 12-24 months before gaining a start date.

2 of my friends have finally got a start date for Sheffield in August 2020. Interviews were originally held on 5 March 2019 so hang in there, it’s worth it in the end!

TreacleMiller

I just received the below from Arriva careers

We are contacting you with regards to your recent application for a role at Arriva Rail North Ltd (ARN).

We are writing to inform you that from 1 March 2020 the Northern rail franchise services currently provided by Arriva Rail North Limited (ARN) will be provided by Northern Trains Limited (NTL). We are therefore obliged by law to inform you of changes to any terms and conditions which are relevant to you.

As a consequence of the change to the legal entity responsible for the Northern rail franchise services, on 6 March 2020 ARN intends to transfer the personal data relating to your online application to NTL. The transfer of this personal data is necessary to enable the continuity of the recruitment process. NTL will be a data controller when it processes your personal data for this purpose. There is more information about this in the NTL privacy notice which is accessible here https://www.northern.olrholdings.co.uk/ntlpolicy/.

If you decide that you do not want this transfer of your personal data to NTL to proceed, please contact us prior to 5 March 2020 by sending an email to [email protected] with a subject line “NORTHERN APPLICATION DO NOT MOVE” and your full name, job you have applied for and job reference details in the email. Alternatively, you can withdraw your application via the portal.

More information about the change to the legal entity responsible for the Northern rail franchise services can be found at www.northern.olrholdings.co.uk

More information about the change to the legal entity responsible for the Northern rail franchise services can be found at www.northern.olrholdings.co.uk

Rest assured ARN will continue to manage any personal data you have provided to ARN safely and securely in accordance with the law. Your existing preferences for the receipt, or otherwise, of communications about the recruitment process from ARN remain unaffected.

Yours,

The Arriva Rail North Team

Be prepared to wait a long time if necessary. My application to start date was 18 months. The cogs turn slow. Be patient and keep jumping through the hoops.

Cheers!
Have a lot of situations in mind where you have worked on a project, worked with somebody you didn't like, went above and beyond, seen a way to improve something, solved a technical problem, been logical, involved in an emergency, worked under pressure, made a big decision ect. Do your homework on the TOC also.

KP26

So I had my interview last Fri, not really sure how it went. A lot of questions asked seemed quite unrelated to the actual drivers role. I still haven’t heard either way yet, just wondered how long others have waited to find out whether successful or not after the interview?

TreacleMiller

Well, still haven't heard anything beyond the very confusing email I got which had two emails copy pasted into it.

Other than that, not a dicky bird.

Status
Not open for further replies.