• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Ireland oddities(?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANDREW_D_WEBB

During a recent trip to Ulster I noticed that the level crossing at Coleraine station incorporates a road junction (Streetview shows it clearly). This means that road traffic regularly has to stop across the running line. Obviously the way the crossing is worked will mean that cars won't become trapped inside the barriers with a train approaching, but how many other level crossings are there where it is seemingly legal to stop across a running line?

On the journey from Londonderry to Coleraine the train was held at a signal alongside the city's airport apparently whilst a light plane took off. Is this usual?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
There are a number of places with signal protection for when aircraft take-off and land, although most are (I believe) emergency return ones. A bit further east you have Ballykelly, where one of the runways was extended over the railway in World War II and arrangements had to be made to stop trains for take-offs and landings, for which a small signalbox was built.

AngusH

That's weird, I've never seen anything like it in other parts of the UK.

Here is the street view link to save some searching:

I see a signal box adjacent to the crossing...
I expect there is a requirement to have someone inspect the crossing before allowing trains across it?

geoffk

Established Member
There is a freight line, with a passenger service planned, crossing the runway at Filton airport, Bristol (well, South Gloucestershire). No idea when it was last used.

Dave W

There is a freight line, with a passenger service planned, crossing the runway at Filton airport, Bristol (well, South Gloucestershire). No idea when it was last used.

I believe the line actually crossed a taxiway (was it something to do with Vulcans?)

Think it's all closed now isn't it?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
The Derry to Belfast main line crosses the runway at (former) RAF Ballykelly, and airmen were routinely dropped off by train directly into the base. Believe this picture shows a railtour, but you get the gist.

Attachments

• ballykelly.jpeg
    ballykelly.jpeg
    165.8 KB · Views: 127
There are a number of places with signal protection for when aircraft take-off and land, although most are (I believe) emergency return ones. A bit further east you have Ballykelly, where one of the runways was extended over the railway in World War II and arrangements had to be made to stop trains for take-offs and landings, for which a small signalbox was built.

Possibly the best example, though outside the UK, was the spur into Le Touquet airfield (on the French coast south of Paris) which crossed the airfield and entered the station from airside:

1280px-Touquet-Paris-Plage_a%C3%A9rodrome_piste_et_avion.jpg

I don't have a date for this picture but it shows exactly the transport components of my first trip to Paris - Eurostar is much faster and more comfortable but not nearly as interesting! The railway alignment is still clearly visible on Google Earth.

AngusH

That's a brilliant photo!

To me, this seems very like the way that railways went into harbours.

The train went to the gangplank of the ship, why shouldn't the train also do the same and go to the door of the aircraft?

geoffk

Established Member
I believe the line actually crossed a taxiway (was it something to do with Vulcans?)

A taxiway, yes. My book by Colin Maggs has a photo of the crossing, which was built to allow the Brabazon plane to access a new runway long enough for it to take off.

Edgeley

In England Kiveton Park on the Sheffield-Worksop line has a road junction immediately beyond the crossing on the north side - with room for only one vehicle without fouling the track. There is a signal box immediately adjacent which can keep an eye on things, however.

Ediswan

Established Member
Possibly the best example, though outside the UK, was the spur into Le Touquet airfield (on the French coast south of Paris) which crossed the airfield and entered the station from airside:
The defunct railway at Le Touqet is a 'feature' for visiting light aircraft. But north of Paris rather than south. Le Touquet is closer to London than it is to Paris.

Llanigraham

On Moderation

It crossed a taxiway from what was originally the Brabazon hangers towards the main runway, and had nothing to do with the De Havilland Vulcan.

RAF Cosford used to have an emergency signal wire along the railway line in case an aircraft came in too low.

I expect there is a requirement to have someone inspect the crossing before allowing trains across it?

Streetview also shows there is a barrier on the road that filters into the main road.

The defunct railway at Le Touqet is a 'feature' for visiting light aircraft. But north of Paris rather than south. Le Touquet is closer to London than it is to Paris.
You're perfectly correct - I meant to type "south of Calais", not "south of Paris". As I recall it, the Victoria - Gatwick - Le Touquet - Paris Nord rail/air service was branded the "Silver Arrow" and promoted as an alternative to the "Golden Arrow" by rail and sea

Elecman

Established Member

1280px-Touquet-Paris-Plage_a%C3%A9rodrome_piste_et_avion.jpg

I don't have a date for this picture but it shows exactly the transport components of my first trip to Paris - Eurostar is much faster and more comfortable but not nearly as interesting! The railway alignment is still clearly visible on Google Earth.
Judging by the plane I would ahazard a guess at Late 1960s early 1970s

Gloster

Established Member
It is an RGP, so probably 1972 to 1980, when the service ceased. Previously it had been a Caravelle.

WAO

The crossing at Wokingham Station (SR) includes a congested junction although it retained the adjacent signal box.

WAO

AlastairFraser

Established Member
The crossing at Wokingham Station (SR) includes a congested junction although it retained the adjacent signal box.

WAO
It's a little less weird than Coleraine perhaps, given the roads do not converge directly over the crossing and have the same gates. I'm surprised they didn't fix it when they did the station redevelopment tbh.

AntoniC

The Derry to Belfast main line crosses the runway at (former) RAF Ballykelly, and airmen were routinely dropped off by train directly into the base. Believe this picture shows a railtour, but you get the gist.
I lived here 1967-1970 when my dad (and family) was stationed here.
He serviced Shackleton ASW aircraft that were based here.

Turtle

If you'd been visiting Northern Ireland for the past 60 years you'd realise that "weird" is the least of the place!!

cce

Fair enough. Knew I was wrong somewhere :smile:

Filton was, though, a dispersal base for V-bombers, most notably during the Cuban missile crisis, so it's an easy mistake to make.

Flight operations ended in 2012 and the whole site is being given over to housing. There's some suggestion locally that the demolition crews breaking up the runway bit off more than their quote could chew digging up a runway rated for nuclear bombers and 747s!

Status
Not open for further replies.