• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Ireland Secretary confirms same sex marriage rights extended to NI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Following the passage of the Northern Ireland (Executive Formation etc) Act 2019 earlier this year, which set today (21 October 2019) as the deadline for the Northern Ireland Assembly to meet before its provisions came into effect, the Northern Ireland Secretary, Julian Smith, answered an Urgent Question in the House of Commons this afternoon. As the deadline has not been met, the provisions of the new Act will change the law in Northern Ireland to allow same sex marriage for the first time. The Northern Ireland Secretary confirmed that the first weddings will be able to take place fittingly in the week of Valenties Day of 2020. Although this has been anticipated for a while now, I thought that it was worthy of sharing as a heartening example of good news.

I understand that following recent changes to the law in the past few years first in the Republic of Ireland, then in the Isle of Man and in the various legislatures in the Channel Islands, this means that by February next year, people in the whole of the British Isles will at last be legally entitled to marriage equality on the basis of gender.

This seems like a reasonable moment to celebrate the forward movement of society in our corner of Europe, which has been taking place over the past several decades. We will soon be able to say people's rights not to be discriminated against on the basis of gender or sexuality will be properly respected by the marriage law of our nations.

Same-sex couples in Northern Ireland set for Valentine’s Day weddings
Westminster will legalise gay marriage and abortion at midnight tonight.

Same sex couples will be able to marry in Northern Ireland in time for Valentine’s Day.

Under the terms of an amendment to devolution legislation passed by MPs in July, Westminster must legislate for marriage equality and heterosexual civil partnerships if a Stormont executive is not restored today.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politi...-northern-ireland-set-valentines-day-weddings

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AntoniC

The late departed Sir Ian Paisley will be most disappointed.
He once ran a campaign against homosexuality with the tagline "Save Ulster From Sodomy".
Personally I agree with this change, its none of the states buisness to dictate what consenting adults get up to !.

Esker-pades

Established Member
The NI assembly tried to sit today in order to stop the abortion laws, which was also added to the Northern Ireland (Executive Formation) Act 2019. It didn't work, because the power-sharing arrangement still isn't solved.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-50115449
A last ditch attempt at the Stormont assembly to stop abortion law changes in Northern Ireland has failed, with the law set to change at midnight.

Unionist parties, who oppose the upcoming liberalisation, triggered the assembly's recall with a petition.

But politicians were told the assembly could not do any business until a speaker was elected with cross-community backing.

That became impossible when the nationalist SDLP left the chamber.

AS IT HAPPENED: A dramatic day at Stormont
Reaction to failed bid to stop abortion law changes

As a result no nationalist representatives remained, meaning no new speaker could be elected and the sitting was suspended after less than an hour.

Some unionist assembly members had been attempting to introduce the Defence of the Unborn Child Bill 2019, which they hoped to pass by midnight.

But the incumbent speaker, Robin Newton - who was elected as a Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) MLA - resisted attempts led by his party leader Arlene Foster to persuade him to suspend assembly rules to allow the bill to be introduced.

In July, MPs at Westminster passed legislation which requires the government to change abortion laws and extend same-sex marriage to Northern Ireland if devolution is not restored by 21 October.

Northern Ireland Secretary Julian Smith told MPs on Monday that the first same-sex marriages in Northern Ireland will be in the week of Valentine's Day 2020.

Monday's sitting was the first time the assembly had sat for nearly three years.

The DUP also walked out, saying this was not the end of the matter.

Mrs Foster said it was a "shameful day" which would leave Northern Ireland with Europe's most liberal abortion laws.

Sinn Féin, the Alliance Party, the Green Party and People Before Profit did not take part in the assembly session, which Alliance leader Naomi Long called a "cynical political stunt".

I've always found it odd that, when it comes to Brexit, the DUP won't accept anything other than Northern Ireland and Great Britain being treated exactly the same. Yet, for abortion and gay marriage, it's all totally fine to have different laws.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
I’m struggling to find any figures on how many of the NI public support abortion and gay marriage. For the former in particular I suspect it may be less than half.

Esker-pades

Established Member
I’m struggling to find any figures on how many of the NI public support abortion and gay marriage. For the former in particular I suspect it may be less than half.
Amnesty International found in 2016 that 72% of the NI population supported "reform" to abortion laws.
https://www.amnesty.org.uk/press-re...public-support-abortion-law-change-new-poll-0

In 2018, support for decriminalising abortion was at 65%.
https://news.sky.com/story/majority...n-ireland-according-to-opinion-polls-11522525

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member

It's around about 2/3 in favour of reform, for both abortion and gay marriage, with support a lot higher amongst younger people. Hell, even Sinn Fein are in favour of both.

It's only the DUP and the troglodytes who support them who seem to have a problem with it.

The NI assembly tried to sit today in order to stop the abortion laws, which was also added to the Northern Ireland (Executive Formation) Act 2019. It didn't work, because the power-sharing arrangement still isn't solved.

A cynical political stunt to try and keep favour with the whackjobs and terrorists who support and fund the DUP. Leaving it to the last day, knowing it couldn't go through without cross-community support, just ridiculous. Almost as ridiculous as their stance on the Irish language.

Still, if they keep acting the way they are doing, it'll not be long before Sinn Fein are the biggest party in the North, despite the gerrymandering. They were only 1 short the last time. And if that happens, it'll really be interesting.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
As it stands NI is getting the same law as the rest of the UK; abortion on demand up to 24 weeks.

Amnesty International found in 2016 that 72% of the NI population supported "reform" to abortion laws.
https://www.amnesty.org.uk/press-re...public-support-abortion-law-change-new-poll-0

Oddly enough it does not say what sort of reform people supported? Clearly liberalisation of some sort, but a total decriminalisation leading to abortion on demand? I am quite sceptical of polls released by lobbying groups.

...only for rape, incest and fatal foetal abnormality.

It's only the DUP and the troglodytes who support them who seem to have a problem with it.

The SDLP also have a large amount of conservative Catholic support who are opposed to abortion.

As far as the abortion debate goes, I consider all abortion to be morally the same as killing a newborn baby. I am not religious but have reasoned this to be so with my own conscience. However, I realise that the abortion issue is extremely fraught with ethics. I am happy to see it legalised so individual women can make their own choice on the matter without interference or permission. However, I understand that some people feel so strongly about abortion - much more strongly than I - that they find it morally incumbent upon themselves to push for a society that doesn't tolerate it. Not all of these people are nasty troglodytes.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Not all of these people are nasty troglodytes.

Those not in favour of gay marriage are. If one doesn't want a gay marriage, don't marry a gay person. Otherwise, it's a private matter between two consenting adults.

As far as the abortion debate goes, I consider all abortion to be morally the same as killing a newborn baby, but realise that the abortion issue is extremely fraught with ethics.

As a father of two, I don't, but I do appreciate why some sincerely hold the opinion and don't judge them for it (apart from those chanting outside Marie Stopes- those I do judge!)

Although I'll admit that I've never understood pro-lifers who are seemingly OK with abortion in cases of rape; if abortion is murder, it shouldn't matter who the baby's father is. Pro-lifers who'll go along with abortion in the case of rape do seemingly care more about punishing women who dared to have sex than any consideration of the baby, otherwise their position is illogical.

I also have a problem with many of these people on the right-wing demanding bans on abortion "to save babies", but then consistently demand cuts to welfare benefits to single mothers, and consistently try to exploit, dehumanise and even kill young unmarried mothers (yes, The Sisters of Our Lady of Charity, I'm looking at you).

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Those not in favour of gay marriage are. If one doesn't want a gay marriage, don't marry a gay person. Otherwise, it's a private matter between two consenting adults.

I agree with this - I don't see any reason whatsoever why gay people shouldn't get married, nor why any reasonable person would think it was the remit of the state to legislate against it.

Esker-pades

Established Member
A cynical political stunt to try and keep favour with the whackjobs and terrorists who support and fund the DUP. Leaving it to the last day, knowing it couldn't go through without cross-community support, just ridiculous. Almost as ridiculous as their stance on the Irish language.

Still, if they keep acting the way they are doing, it'll not be long before Sinn Fein are the biggest party in the North, despite the gerrymandering. They were only 1 short the last time. And if that happens, it'll really be interesting.
Oh, yes.

Oddly enough it does not say what sort of reform people supported? Clearly liberalisation of some sort, but a total decriminalisation leading to abortion on demand? I am quite sceptical of polls released by lobbying groups.

...only for rape, incest and fatal foetal abnormality.
And rightly so. There is a note about methodology at the bottom, which makes the study sound statistically rigorous. However, the explanation is short, so I couldn't say with any confidence.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I've always found it odd that, when it comes to Brexit, the DUP won't accept anything other than Northern Ireland and Great Britain being treated exactly the same. Yet, for abortion and gay marriage, it's all totally fine to have different laws.

Brexit is not devolved (unfortunately!)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I can see some valid comparisons being made here, however if anyone wishes to go into more detail on any subject other than that in the title (ie. Same sex marriage rights extended to NI ), please create a new thread to continue it there.

Status
Not open for further replies.