• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Rail Complimentary Travel Pass

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuartd

Hi,
I've received a Northern Pass for a Delay Repay claim and have read the instructions on the back which says 'In the case of a FAMILY ticket up to one additional adult and two children may travel free of charge with the named adult'

My question is does anyone know if I can use this as a Family ticket by just ticking the family box on the front of the pass, as the only box ticked is the 'Return' option - The Adult/Child/Family options have been left blank?

The letter that came with it didn't say much and only told me where I could find the Northern network map, so any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Another fine example of Carillion not doing things right (they operate the Northern "Customer Experience Centre"), the child/adult/family box should have been ticked before being sent to you, so fill your boots as frontline staff wont know if you are entitled to it or not.

Last edited:

raveon

Do you have to have at least one child in the group or does just 2 adults count?

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
I don't recall our briefing stated either way to be honest, but I'll try to dig it out and have a look when I get time.

BlueFox

I don't recall our briefing stated either way to be honest, but I'll try to dig it out and have a look when I get time.

Did you ever find out the answer to this?
The wording on the back of the ticket suggests you don't need to take a child to use a family ticket.

Also, with these Northern complimentary tickets, is a break of journey allowed?
I plan to travel from Carlisle to Leeds next week, and would like to break the journey at Skipton.

And does the return journey have to be made within a certain time?
Could I make the outward journey next week, and the return in six months, for example?
Is it OK to leave the return date box blank until I want to use it?

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Did you ever find out the answer to this?
The wording on the back of the ticket suggests you don't need to take a child to use a family ticket.

Also, with these Northern complimentary tickets, is a break of journey allowed?
Yes
I plan to travel from Carlisle to Leeds next week, and would like to break the journey at Skipton.
You may
And does the return journey have to be made within a certain time?
No
Could I make the outward journey next week, and the return in six months, for example?
Yes
Yes

Donachie

Yes

You may

Yes
Watch out with leaving return box blank. A Northern barrier staff member, took mine and entered the same date as outward in box and told me I cant leave it blank. I was not returning same day.

I complained to Northern customer services and received an email stating that the return date does not need to be same as outward date but they refused to provide a single ticket to compensate.

marcouk2

Watch out with leaving return box blank. A Northern barrier staff member, took mine and entered the same date as outward in box and told me I cant leave it blank. I was not returning same day.

I complained to Northern customer services and received an email stating that the return date does not need to be same as outward date but they refused to provide a single ticket to compensate.

I've had the same, queried on the outbound journey when I was taking the return journey but let off in the end.

Also had a guard refuse to give me the ticket back until they had filled in the return date on a single journey one!

Status
Not open for further replies.