• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Rail - Invite to driver assessment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshua

Hello folks!

I've recently had an interview for a driver position based in Sheffield. I have passed the interview and have been invited to the "full Driver psychometric assessment" next week in Doncaster.

I've previously done some paper testing with East Midlands and passed all of those, but the assessments with northern rail seem to be computer based testing too. I have checked with northern and they have stated that I don't have to re-do the tests I've already completed and they will have these on record. Has anyone got any experience of the day itself. Is there another interview at the end? What are the computer tests like?

They have confirmed the next stage would be a medical and all being well, a job offer. I'm very nervous and really want to do well!

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Louby

Hello folks!

I've recently had an interview for a driver position based in Sheffield. I have passed the interview and have been invited to the "full Driver psychometric assessment" next week in Doncaster.

I've previously done some paper testing with East Midlands and passed all of those, but the assessments with northern rail seem to be computer based testing too. I have checked with northern and they have stated that I don't have to re-do the tests I've already completed and they will have these on record. Has anyone got any experience of the day itself. Is there another interview at the end? What are the computer tests like?

They have confirmed the next stage would be a medical and all being well, a job offer. I'm very nervous and really want to do well!

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

did you not receive any paper work explaining?

GPL

Yes there is an interview at the end, I found the computer tests fairly easy, there is a test where you stare at a grey square, one where they show you photos of road scenes and you have to pick out certain things and a 2 hand co-ordination test where you guide a dot round a track !

Matt whitaker

Yes there is an interview at the end, I found the computer tests fairly easy, there is a test where you stare at a grey square, one where they show you photos of road scenes and you have to pick out certain things and a 2 hand co-ordination test where you guide a dot round a track !
Is the interview pretty much the same theme as the driver manager one that you first sit?

GPL

Before you start the computer tests on the 2nd part of the day they give you a piece of paper with 4 questions on it and you have to write a short sentence with your example answer, then you can elaborate when you have the interview, they will keep questioning you on it, until they get the answer they are looking for or it seemed that way to me, it did seem a bit more intense than the 1st interview but they do want you to pass, and you can use the examples you used in the first interview, during the day you will do a situational judgement test about 30 odd questions, this is not scored but i think they use it for the interview, i think its mostly to get a view of your personality and suitability for the role, just think fo the things they are looking for, like staying on time and following rules and procedures !

Matt whitaker

Before you start the computer tests on the 2nd part of the day they give you a piece of paper with 4 questions on it and you have to write a short sentence with your example answer, then you can elaborate when you have the interview, they will keep questioning you on it, until they get the answer they are looking for or it seemed that way to me, it did seem a bit more intense than the 1st interview but they do want you to pass, and you can use the examples you used in the first interview, during the day you will do a situational judgement test about 30 odd questions, this is not scored but i think they use it for the interview, i think its mostly to get a view of your personality and suitability for the role, just think fo the things they are looking for, like staying on time and following rules and procedures !
Sorry to ask another question but was your group bourdon done on paper or computer?

dsb

Passed the assessment stage just wondering what the next step is

Matt whitaker

Passed the assessment stage just wondering what the next step is
Congrats on passing. Just wondered what the assessments were like? I've heard the memory 1 can be tough and also that the test with the beeps are really fast too?
Thibk the next step for northern is just medical if you had your mmi that day

dsb

Beeps were fine nothing to worry about , two hand coordination was the worst for me haha

Status
Not open for further replies.