• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Rail Train Conductor - Middlesborough (Shifts)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clip

Established Member
Probably wouldnt want to work/live in Boro full stop.

Established Member
... Elaborate...? :)

Well... some of the stations the Middlesbrough crews go through are not exactly the best, seem to see the usual suspects every time I travel that area. However, a lot of the stations are unmanned (so extra commission), and the only three times I've seen someone board and ask for a ticket to London on the day has been in that area (so ching again).

LCC106

Established Member
Aha! My grandparents live in Marton, one of the nicer areas. Fond memories from being a youngster. Used to be able to see the Transporter Bridge from their dining room. The leylandii on the local park have put paid to that view though. I probably wouldn't want to live there, but do admit to supporting 'boro and LFC!!! (Girlie reasons)

Established Member
Aha! My grandparents live in Marton, one of the nicer areas. Fond memories from being a youngster. Used to be able to see the Transporter Bridge from their dining room. The leylandii on the local park have put paid to that view though. I probably wouldn't want to live there, but do admit to supporting 'boro and LFC!!! (Girlie reasons)

Don't get me wrong, nearly everywhere Northern operates there are worse areas than others, it just seems that Teesside has more than its fair share! The Whitby/Esk Valley line is alright, but the same cannot be said of others.

One thing is for sure, most of the lines are busy throughout the morning and day, so there is plenty of work to be done.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Just out of curiosity what do Middlesbrough based guards sign? I assume Bishop - Saltburn, Middlesbrough - Whitby, Darlington - Newcastle (via ECML) and Middlesbrough - Newcastle (via Durham Coast Line)?

Established Member
Just out of curiosity what do Middlesbrough based guards sign? I assume Bishop - Saltburn, Middlesbrough - Whitby, Darlington - Newcastle (via ECML) and Middlesbrough - Newcastle (via Durham Coast Line)?

Think that's it - basically everywhere south of Newcastle. I'm not too sure but I think Newcastle crews can do Newcastle - Middlesbrough as well, so there is a bit of overlap.

Established Member
No worse than any other late night trains, I'd think.

Newcastle share Darlo to Saltburn, Boro to Nunthorpe and the Durham Coast with Boro.

You sure about Saltburn? Everytime I've been on a Saltburn - Newcastle train there has been a change of crew at Middlesbrough with a Newcastle crew getting on.

Re Billingham - Stockton. I've been on a few late night services between the two and there was trouble on each one - one smashed window, few drunks, couple of fare evaders hiding in the toilets. Certainly not the best part.

spacehopper

Newcastle and Boro overlap on all of the Boro route card except Whitby and Bishop Auckland (although B link Newcastle drivers do work over BA branch).

Working out of Boro your core route is Darlington to Saltburn. Apart from 07:32 / 17:39 to Newcastle and 10:30 / 21:18 to Middlesbrough the rest of the weekday services around the coast are run by Newcastle guards. Boro work some of the early morning Saltburn to Newcastle via ECML runs and the 21:50 down the ECML on a saturday night.

Newcastle do have a few runs to Saltburn- double trip in the morning and one around teatime and the last Saltburn are Newcastle guards.

Depot establishment is I think about 38 with the earliest start about 5 and latest finish around 23:30? Note that due to the depot historically being based at Darlington (drivers still are) lot of guards still live in Darlington so shifts do try and get swapped with workings starting or finishing at Darlington.

They do have some problems with "can't pay, won't pay" on Saltburn and Bishop branches. Certain individuals have actually been banned from trains because of the trouble they caused. Last Whitby has been a problem train with security and BTP having to travel. On a saturday night the last train down ECML gets all drunks going to Durham and Darlington. Been many fights and assaults on this train in the past.

Commission is supposed to be okay although not at Harrogate or some depots on the West level. Don't think too many Sundays to work either.

HTH- all off top of my head so note- mostly correct.

john349uk

Applied for this last Sunday (Conductor at Middlesbrough), got an email yesterday saying I'd met the 'required criteria' but due to the limited spaces available for interview they wouldn't be progressing my application at this time. Possibly more frustrating than a straight rejection! They are keeping my records on file for 6 months though (lucky me!).
They also apologise for the amount of time its taken, well its only been three days since I applied so I think I can forgive them that.

LCC106

Established Member
That's a shame and I know what you mean - frustrating or what!

Status
Not open for further replies.