• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Rail Trainee Driver Recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Efini92

Established Member
Understood so Lime Street recruiting anytime soon Is out the question? trying to work out which depots I have a realistic chance of. Lime Street and Wigan seem to be the only ones. Hopefully Manchester but I'm right 42 minutes away in off peak so that could be interesting!
To be honest I don’t know. What area are you travelling in from?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ILoveLamp

Guys:

There is a lot of questions on this thread that could be answered by calling the recruitment team. They are a (very) small team but they’re also friendly and professional and they would be able to answer any questions you have for them - or at the very least give you an update as to where recruitment is currently.

At Leeds all our trainees have been stood down for the time being with pay. This is likely to be the case for some time.
...and many questions have already been asked and answered throughout the thread, so sometimes a read over the thread or using the search function will give the answers.

RBSN

...and many questions have already been asked and answered throughout the thread, so sometimes a read over the thread or using the search function will give the answers.

Indeed. But you are best calling the people who have the actual answers. Takes 2 minutes.

donny12

I applied for the Leeds trainee driver role around a month ago now but not heard anything further. Anyone else in the same boat?

@RBSN not surprising all current trainees have been stood down for now and presumably this will have a knock-on effect on the current wave of recruitment. Seems strange though that they would advertise at the beginning of April if they no longer require new trainees!

Efini92

Established Member
Preston is the nearest major station. Thanks for the advice by the way.
There’s loads that travel in from Preston way so I don’t think you’ll be penalised for living that far out of Manchester. My advice would be apply to where you can and transfer at a later date. Once you’re qualified you can pretty much go anywhere.

Manda2194

There’s loads that travel in from Preston way so I don’t think you’ll be penalised for living that far out of Manchester. My advice would be apply to where you can and transfer at a later date. Once you’re qualified you can pretty much go anywhere.

Are transfers relatively easy then? I think Liverpool and Wigan are my biggest hopes I think. Ive been looking for about 8 months now and they are the only two in the area I have not seen. I had one in for Blackpool and then they emailed saying the position had been withdrawn.

RBSN

@RBSN not surprising all current trainees have been stood down for now and presumably this will have a knock-on effect on the current wave of recruitment. Seems strange though that they would advertise at the beginning of April if they no longer require new trainees!

We can only assume they’re wanting to bolster the driver talent pool.

samuel791

Applied for Leeds (trainee driver) in October 2019. Had interview and psychometric testing in January 2020 and was just awaiting a course start date.

The only 2 emails I’ve had is the one for talent pool and the transfer of data to the new government website.

No further correspondence from this in March 2020, but appreciate they’re very busy with Covid-19 and service planning. What will be will be - it’s just a waiting game I suppose!

TreacleMiller

Did you apply for Leeds prior to the franchise change? I read on another thread afew weeks ago that those who applied for vacancies in January for Darlington, Sheffield etc received emails saying they were nolonger progressing with the recruitment for the job (This was before the franchise change) and for any future vacancies they’d need to apply again

I applied to Sheffield.

The no longer progressing email was received by some. I didn't get this and when I enquired with Northern they assured me my application was still live and the position was still being recruited for but some had obviously been declined and "not progressing" was the explanation to them.

Ive spoke with someone directly at the depot since who said that they will still need people and the position was open until the covid issue as best he knew.

A460009

We can only assume they’re wanting to bolster the driver talent pool.

I’ve read a range of different things regarding talent pools on this forum. I’ve heard some say they’ve been in a pool for a couple of years but then read that with northern you are held for 9months then need to reapply. Is this correct RBSN? Thanks

RBSN

Applied for Leeds (trainee driver) in October 2019. Had interview and psychometric testing in January 2020 and was just awaiting a course start date.

The only 2 emails I’ve had is the one for talent pool and the transfer of data to the new government website.

No further correspondence from this in March 2020, but appreciate they’re very busy with Covid-19 and service planning. What will be will be - it’s just a waiting game I suppose!

Unfortunately due to Covid-19 there is now a massive backlog of trainees (at Leeds) that are either part way into their training or yet to start. Which will likely mean a greater wait for the talent pool prospects.

Taylor-j01

It wasnt because of the franchise change because emails were sent out other roles 1 week before changeover about data transfer. Those roles they decided to stop for whatever reason . And 3 weeks ago email saying covid 19 has “temporarily paused process for this role” we will update you soon rest assured your application is still live.
I guess each role/location is different. They were still recruitment for manchester drivers the other week and anouther location I forgot where 2 weeks ago leeds i think. Initial recruitment and sifting is very much still on. There was 30 + jobs put on third week in April mid lockdown.

Michael1985

Guys:

There is a lot of questions on this thread that could be answered by calling the recruitment team. They are a (very) small team but they’re also friendly and professional and they would be able to answer any questions you have for them - or at the very least give you an update as to where recruitment is currently.

At Leeds all our trainees have been stood down for the time being with pay. This is likely to be the case for some time.
Do you have a direct number for recruitment, or is it better to ring HR from the number on The Shed?

Michael1985

When I was ringing them, it was being redirected to a mobile. I emailed them around a month ago, received an automated reply saying I’d hear back within three days and still haven’t heard back.

Efini92

Established Member
When I was ringing them, it was being redirected to a mobile. I emailed them around a month ago, received an automated reply saying I’d hear back within three days and still haven’t heard back.
I think most numbers divert to a mobile. The train crew sign on point does, no one ever responds to it though.

dave160284

Hello all

First time poster here.

I'm in a similar boat to a lot of you by the looks of things. I applied for a York driver position in Jan. Passed the interview and assessments in Feb / March to be told that more people had passed than anticipated so they couldn't offer me a start date and that my details would be kept on file for any future positions at York (but only within 9 months).

In April they recruited for Leeds (seemed like a strange decision give the Covid situation to me) so I applied for this position too. I still haven't heard anything back from this application, seems like some of you have already? I'd hopefully be in a strong position for the Leeds jobs seen as I've already passed the assessment?

Trying to put it to the back of my mind and concentrate on the day job, if it happens it happens but there's a lot of uncertainty around at the moment.

Dave

ElV

Hi all,
Just received an email saying they have withdrawn the position of trainee driver in Leeds and are no longer recruiting for it.

Mark1505

Hello all

First time poster here.

I'm in a similar boat to a lot of you by the looks of things. I applied for a York driver position in Jan. Passed the interview and assessments in Feb / March to be told that more people had passed than anticipated so they couldn't offer me a start date and that my details would be kept on file for any future positions at York (but only within 9 months).

In April they recruited for Leeds (seemed like a strange decision give the Covid situation to me) so I applied for this position too. I still haven't heard anything back from this application, seems like some of you have already? I'd hopefully be in a strong position for the Leeds jobs seen as I've already passed the assessment?

Trying to put it to the back of my mind and concentrate on the day job, if it happens it happens but there's a lot of uncertainty around at the moment.

Dave

Morning
I just recieved an email to say the position is now withdrawn from their hiring plans ? Did you get the same email?

Second time this is happened Darlington and now leeds

Orange08

Yeah I’ve just received the same email for Leeds. Unsurprising really considering comments on here stating Leeds are currently over staffed with trainees atm.

Coopes1710

I just received the email saying they have removed the position.
I have a application going with LNER at the moment too

RBSN

Unsurprising really considering comments on here stating Leeds are currently over staffed with trainees atm.

Indeed. Unsure as to why they put out a recruitment post recently when this is fact.

Bubba

Thats my dreams dashed for another year (or until recruitment starts up again). LNER and Northern Rail in the space of six days :D

Status
Not open for further replies.