• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Rail Trainee Driver Recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

RBSN

Thats my dreams dashed for another year (or until recruitment starts up again). LNER and Northern Rail in the space of six days :D

I’d recommend getting yourself on the Railway in any role. You’ll have a greater chance of becoming a driver

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

darloscott

Yeah I’ve just received the same email for Leeds. Unsurprising really considering comments on here stating Leeds are currently over staffed with trainees atm.
Same email here too, shame but hardly surprising. I assume the backlog is going to take a while to clear with resources stretched for the next few months

Bubba

I’d recommend getting yourself on the Railway in any role. You’ll have a greater chance of becoming a driver

To be honest, I wouldnt be able to afford to take any role other than a driver. Whilst I appreciate there would be a drop in salary as a trainee driver, it would only be for 2 or 3 years. I wouldnt risk it by taking any other role without any guarantee of getting a driver role in due course.

RBSN

To be honest, I wouldnt be able to afford to take any role other than a driver. Whilst I appreciate there would be a drop in salary as a trainee driver, it would only be for 2 or 3 years. I wouldnt risk it by taking any other role without any guarantee of getting a driver role in due course.

I understand completely what you mean, I dropped 20k to train in 2016! I was considering going for a Guards role at the time which would of still been a drop but would of been more manageable!

DB0161

Going off the demographics of my current trainee driver course I would whole heartedly agree with this. There are conductors, dispatchers and ticket sales staff

richfoz84

Anyone know if there is staff parking for northern staff at Piccadilly? Not offered a start date yet I’m just interested. I have a nice car but would worry it’d Get bashed and knocked in a regular car park as opposed to an enclosed/security patrolled staff car park

Cheers

DB0161

Anyone know if there is staff parking for northern staff at Piccadilly? Not offered a start date yet I’m just interested. I have a nice car but would worry it’d Get bashed and knocked in a regular car park as opposed to an enclosed/security patrolled staff car park

Cheers
There are two staff car parks. The bad news however is you'll be waiting around 12 months at least until you're allocated a free spot.

richfoz84

There are two staff car parks. The bad news however is you'll be waiting around 12 months at least until you're allocated a free spot.

That’s good news then about the parking, I assumed it would be limited though so no surprise a spot won’t be available right away. I’d commute in on a train each day for classroom training anyway, and as much as I could depending on shifts whilst in my first year.

badger1badger

maybe start a new thread asking this question about parking ?

it is a thread for recruitment and a lot of people have had bad news - kind of rubbing salt in the wound.

Last edited:

richfoz84

I’ll be halving my current salary when I start. Probably be a tough, long year!.. But that’s a worthwhile sacrifice to make for the chance to be a driver and have a career on the railway!

Red Devil

At the moment my depot is snowed under with trainees waiting instructors, Covid has made things worse as all training is suspended.
I'm saying this to make all prospective drivers aware that after training school there'll be a lot of sitting around. A lot!!
Reasons for this are too numerous to put on here and have been mentioned in other threads.

Manda2194

At the moment my depot is snowed under with trainees waiting instructors, Covid has made things worse as all training is suspended.
I'm saying this to make all prospective drivers aware that after training school there'll be a lot of sitting around. A lot!!
Reasons for this are too numerous to put on here and have been mentioned in other threads.

out of interest what do the trainees mainly do in the meantime. Once you have done the classroom training what else can you do without an instructor.
Certainly sounds a backlog at the Manchester depots so would surprise me if we heard anything before September

Red Devil

out of interest what do the trainees mainly do in the meantime. Once you have done the classroom training what else can you do without an instructor.
Certainly sounds a backlog at the Manchester depots so would surprise me if we heard anything before September
Usually front end turns, but these are suspended at the moment due to Covid. All trainees sat at home at the moment.

Efini92

Established Member
Are you at a depot in the north west?

Taylor-j01

Seen today northern have added driver trainers vacancies to leeds and manchester so both training places. They will know how much back log and trainers they will need for future coarses so thats good news; taking on trainers

richfoz84

Is manchester the busiest station with the most trainee’s awaiting driver trainers then?
I’m hoping to hear back from HR soon with an idea of course dates, don’t mind if I have to wait a while longer tbh.

Efini92

Established Member
Is manchester the busiest station with the most trainee’s awaiting driver trainers then?
I’m hoping to hear back from HR soon with an idea of course dates, don’t mind if I have to wait a while longer tbh.
Victoria and Liverpool have the biggest wait times.

richfoz84

Just emailed HR and they are awaiting confirmation on when the training school can re start, but most importantly for me I’m pencilled in on one of those dates. Woohoo!

Aivilo

Just emailed HR and they are awaiting confirmation on when the training school can re start, but most importantly for me I’m pencilled in on one of those dates. Woohoo!

Congratulations. As mentioned above Victoria and lime st had lengthy queues pre coronavirus so be patient going forward

Manda2194

Congrats mate.Youve been waiting long enough! Looks like your at the right depot.

I find it mad how there is so a different standard in depots. You would have thought they would have had a standard practice

Aivilo

Congrats mate.Youve been waiting long enough! Looks like your at the right depot.

I find it mad how there is so a different standard in depots. You would have thought they would have had a standard practice

Zero consistency. Average is 12 months and lads and lasses are waiting nearly two years. Shocked nobody high up has had there bell rang for it

GPR

Are transfers relatively easy then? I think Liverpool and Wigan are my biggest hopes I think. Ive been looking for about 8 months now and they are the only two in the area I have not seen. I had one in for Blackpool and then they emailed saying the position had been withdrawn.
I think Wigan is a closed shop for a while. Plenty of people want to go there.
I also heard Lime St might open up in the future.

Aivilo

I think Wigan is a closed shop for a while. Plenty of people want to go there.
I also heard Lime St might open up in the future.

With the back log of trainees I would be surprised

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.