• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Rail Trainee Train Driver Manchester Update 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

feedmemore

Hi Folks

I'm new to all this and forum and railway.

I had interview and assessments back in June and passed both and presently "on hold"

I've called HR who informed on hold 9 months interview and 5 year assessments are valid for but they couldn't say anything in regards to actual vacancies but have noticed applicants at Blackburn, Blackpool, Sheffield etc are being accepted for jobs. Just wondered if something has happened at Manchester or vacancies at Manchester?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LETHLFH

Because Northern HR has referred to your interview being valid for 9 months and your assessment for 5 years it sounds like your in a talent pool. It could mean there are no current vacancies but you are on hold awaiting current drivers to retire or leave. It could also be Northerns training schools are full so you awaiting a course to start. Your interview still has a long validity so it's just a waiting game for you now.

Lucky63

Hi Folks

I had interview and assessments back in June and passed both and presently "on hold"

I've called HR who informed on hold 9 months interview and 5 year assessments are valid for but they couldn't say anything in regards to actual vacancies but have noticed applicants at Blackburn, Blackpool, Sheffield etc are being accepted for jobs. Just wondered if something has happened at Manchester or vacancies at Manchester?

They still need another 50 drivers at Piccadilly so I wouldn't be surprised if any Manchester applications start progressing again soon.

Louby

Hi Folks

They just literally have no more room in the training school

Dave1980

Think it's a case of prioritising who gets into the next training school courses. Blackburn will be a new depot and expected to open in Dec 2017 but they need people to complete 9 months training before that, so I'm guessing that they need to fill the next few courses with Blackburn candidates.
I would imagine Manchester candidates will see movement around November, speaking to a mate of mine in construction game and his company just got the contract to do the foundations for a new bridge linking two Manchester stations to accommodate an extra 100 services in Manchester not sure on the schedule for that but it would obviously mean they need new drivers.

Eccles1983

On Moderation
I am in the same boat as the OP.

I have to give a months notice, so hopefully don't get the call to start monday on a friday afternoon.

Eccles1983

On Moderation
Just rang HR.

They didnt give anything away except that if I haven't started a course within the interview expiry date that I would need to resit it.

Deep joy!

feedmemore

Nice one Eccles!!

Can I ask when we're you interviewed and when is your state date?

I've heard nothing but I've been told "that's the railway!" And I've rang not HR since September as I can only imagine they're busy with all the applicants with other trainee positions advertised.

Eccles1983

On Moderation
I was interviewed in june and assessment in august.

Start date is end of the month.

Last edited:

feedmemore

Contacted HR they've informed I'm still on hold but are running courses. So there is hope. A friend was informed he's got a place starting 30th January and another friend starts March. Is there anyone else out there that has start dates for 2017?

mtbox

Basically Northern do not have any idea what they are doing, they keep changing their mind about staffing levels, they don't know what new routes, if any, each depot is getting, don't know how many extra services they will run and where to, don't know how many additional/ new units they are getting (if any).

LETHLFH

Basically Northern do not have any idea what they are doing, they keep changing their mind about staffing levels, they don't know what new routes, if any, each depot is getting, don't know how many extra services they will run and where to, don't know how many additional/ new units they are getting (if any).

Frustrated at not getting out of the talent pool?

I think the size of the planned changes is always going to be difficult to implement, I think Northern will only be able to be judged 2019 - 2020 when the proposed changes are all meant to be implemented.

mtbox

Frustrated at not getting out of the talent pool?

I think the size of the planned changes is always going to be difficult to implement, I think Northern will only be able to be judged 2019 - 2020 when the proposed changes are all meant to be implemented.

Nope. been a driver a long time.

I have contacts within who tell me what's going on (or not)

Don't know if I'm first to say but I can see DB throwing the towel in.

feedmemore

Been informed I should be on the March course subject to medical.

I was talking to a family member who works on the railway but he was uncertain as to the routes Piccadilly/Victoria Drivers sign and if there are split links. Can someone confirm please - be interested to know.

During my interview I was asked which I prefer but I informed whichever trainee position comes first I'll be more than happy to take.

Lucky63

Been informed I should be on the March course subject to medical.

I was talking to a family member who works on the railway but he was uncertain as to the routes Piccadilly/Victoria Drivers sign and if there are split links. Can someone confirm please - be interested to know.

During my interview I was asked which I prefer but I informed whichever trainee position comes first I'll be more than happy to take.

Piccadilly you'd start off with 5 core routes to learn. Stoke, Crewe (via Airport), Rose Hill, New Mills Central and Hadfield.
Victoria I couldn't say for sure but fairly certain it includes three core routes. Southport (via Atherton) and Wigan Wallgate (via Bolton) are definitely in it but the third one eludes me.
Also at Victoria I'm sure they still have seniority in their links and is a depot is slight disarray at present.
At Piccadilly they have three links; Liverpool, Preston and Chester/Buxton.
No seniority in these links but as a trainee you may find yourself in the newly created training link which only has your core routes on all jobs therefore helping you pass out much quicker.
After your pass out you'd probably be waiting to enter one of the above links mentioned or they might create a fourth one with all the extra services in future.

Louby

Piccadilly you'd start off with 5 core routes to learn. Stoke, Crewe (via Airport), Rose Hill, New Mills Central and Hadfield.
Victoria I couldn't say for sure but fairly certain it includes three core routes. Southport (via Atherton) and Wigan Wallgate (via Bolton) are definitely in it but the third one eludes me.
Also at Victoria I'm sure they still have seniority in their links and is a depot is slight disarray at present.
At Piccadilly they have three links; Liverpool, Preston and Chester/Buxton.
No seniority in these links but as a trainee you may find yourself in the newly created training link which only has your core routes on all jobs therefore helping you pass out much quicker.
After your pass out you'd probably be waiting to enter one of the above links mentioned or they might create a fourth one with all the extra services in future.

Vic have 3 core routes in the training link, southport is not one of them, and no seniority links anymore, most core routes are blackburn via tod, clitheroe, Wigan via Bolton and hudd

bluepat

I'm in the same position as the original post. I passed my assessments with NR for M/Cr stations in July '16 and my interview in May '17. I was told the interview will be valid for 9 months which ends for me on 10th March 17.
Is anyone aware what happens if I've not had a start date before then?
I've called and emailed HR but never get told anything other than 'we are aware of where everyone is up to and we cannot confirm courses at this time'

Louby

I'm in the same position as the original post. I passed my assessments with NR for M/Cr stations in July '16 and my interview in May '17. I was told the interview will be valid for 9 months which ends for me on 10th March 17.
Is anyone aware what happens if I've not had a start date before then?
I've called and emailed HR but never get told anything other than 'we are aware of where everyone is up to and we cannot confirm courses at this time'

Unless it's changed, worse case you will have to re sit the interview . Wouldn't worry too much , it's pretty normal

Status
Not open for further replies.