• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern re-records 34 station name announcements with local pronunciation

Trackman

Established Member
Please see article below.
I get this with local pronunciations, but quite a few puzzle me like Ardwick and Ashburys.
Then there's Euxton Balshaw lane, currently pronounced Exton anyway last time I was up there, same with 'Todmodden' ... The list goes on

I'd like to hear peoples thoughts on the matter...

Northern has re-recorded on-board announcements of then names of thirty-four stations on its network after appealing to the public for help.
The operator received forty-seven formal requests to re-record announcements, including multiple submissions for:
Northern employees Pete Corley and Laura Palmer recorded the new announcement, and then issued a video message to thank people for their feedback. An upgrade to on-board software meant that announcements had to be recorded again, which prompted the appeal for correct local pronunciation.

In June, Pete and Laura appealed to passengers to contact them if they had mispronounced any of the five-hundred-plus stations on Northern's network. After discussing issues such as loud Es, missing Ss and silent ‘ands' within station names, they returned to the studio and made the new recordings.

Northern will now begin using the new recordings on its fleet of 345 trains.

The 34 stations whose names were re-recorded were: Accrington; Dore & Totley; Lostock Gralam; Ardwick; Elsecar; Mossley Hill; Ashburys; Euxton Balshaw Lane; Redcar; Aspatria; Gathurst; Roose; Barnsley; Hall i' th' Wood; Slaithwaite; Barrow-in-Furness; Handforth; South Elmsall; Bentham; Heighington; Sowerby Bridge; Burneside; Hessle; Thurnscoe; Cark-in-Cartmel; Ilkeston; Todmorden; Chesterfield; Kirkham and Wesham; Wombwell; Dodworth; Langwathby; Doncaster; Lazonby & Kirkoswald.
Tricia Williams, chief operating officer at Northern, said: “This has been such an interesting process and proof if ever it were needed of the passion our customers have for the North.
“Some of the stations on our network are pronounced very differently to how they appear in writing – it's important to get these things right.

“I'd like to thank Pete, Laura and all of the on-board systems team for their persistence with this project – and to everyone that took the time to get involved and speak-up for their hometown.”

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tracked

Established Member
Noticed the DON-LDS Northern Services had stopped shouting Wakefield Westgate, but were now stopping at "South Elms-hall", the other week :|

QueensCurve

Established Member
I get this with local pronunciations, but quite a few puzzle me like Ardwick and Ashburys.
Then there's Euxton Balshaw lane, currently pronounced Exton anyway last time I was up there, same with 'Todmodden' ... The list goes on

No more Core Kickle?

bramling

Veteran Member

My only thought can be that someone didn’t do their work properly in the first place. Getting this sort of thing right should be basic stuff.

Trackman

Established Member
Locals call Darwen "Darren", which might confuse foreigners!
This is true, met a bloke in a pub and said he was from 'Darren', much confusion then after.. So Darwen near Blackburn? .. Yes 'Darren'.. you mean Darwen? .. and so on.
What about Mytholmroyd?
Don't think it's on the list, so locals have not moaned.
Thinks its Mithermroyd

jfollows

Established Member
My pet local peeve of "Handfuth" has hopefully been corrected; I did feed back to them earlier on. My usage, which I believe to be correct, is that the o is pronounced as a long o, to rhyme with "forth".

td97

Established Member
Shame they didn't re-record some of the North West stations with a more local dialect rather than the broad Yorkshire accent. Manchester Airport and Deansgate are the most overbearing.
It would also be nice if the announcement was "this is the Northern service to ..." rather than "this is the Northern service t' ..."

jh64

The Scotrail units that occasionally worked the Carlisle-Newcastle service for Northern would announce Prudhoe ('Prudda') as 'Prood-ho'.

NI 271

Is that one a bit contentious? Only because I’ve certainly heard locals say sour-bee bridge.
Not to me, and I used to drive the 579 to and from Sowerby in a previous life so have had hundreds of locals ask me for "Sore-by" (and of course "Sore-by Bridge" as well, the two are different villages). Those asking for "Sour-by Bridge" tended not to be locals - I'm only from maybe 10-12 miles away and until I worked in Halifax, by which time I was knocking 40, I'd always known it as "Sour-by Bridge", despite having played football, cricket, and having had nights out there (it's not a bad spot for a drink!). I would understand anyone from further afield thinking that someone like me would be a local, it's not like there's a big distinction accent-wise, but I'd suggest those who live in either village pronounce it as @D6130 suggests.

prod_pep

Established Member
I hope the re-recorded announcement for Mossley Hill gets it correct. It is not pronounced 'Mozzley' locally unlike the Greater Manchester one.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I hope the re-recorded announcement for Mossley Hill gets it correct. It is not pronounced 'Mozzley' locally unlike the Greater Manchester one.
So, what should it be?

"Moss-Lee Hill"?

"Mose-Ley Hill"

Something else?

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Does this explain why Wakefield Kirkgate was pronounced “Kirr-gate” whilst I was on a Northern service the other day?

BeccaOnATrain

It would also be nice if the announcement was "this is the Northern service to ..." rather than "this is the Northern service t' ..."
I find that announcement rather jarring every time I hear it. It feels like there's way too much emphasis on that 'tuh' as well.

Andyh82

Established Member
Why have they changed the announcements from the female voice introduced with TrainFX/the new units, to a new male voice in the first place?

jfollows

Established Member
I assume that when Northern first decided to automate their announcements they contracted the work out to some "media" types who probably live in London and think they know everything; the very first time i heard one at Wilmslow station I heard "Sandback" instead of "Sandbach". And some of the examples above, especially for places east of the Pennines, are mistakes I make personally, not being local. So at least I'll give Northern their due for spotting their problem and doing something about it.

Purple Train

Established Member
At least they're not as bad as text-to-speech announcers' problems with abbreviated names...

Anyway, good to see they've made an effort to sort the recordings out. They wouldn't have been allowed for cost reasons if the DfT had recognised the places concerned as being in its geographical remit... :E

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
The issue with 'Ashburys' was that it was apparently being announced as 'Ash-bury' (with no 's' at the end).