• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Recruitment Process

Status
Not open for further replies.

Choochoo_loco

Hi, applied for a trainee driver job few weeks ago with Northern.
After reading alot about applying to be a driver on here I was expecting some kind of application form and away to sell myself in writing . However the application form I had to fill was just a few basic questions about my current salary , health and nationality then to attach a c.v and cover letter.
Does this seem about right or have a missed something vital?
It's my first application so I'm prepared for it to be a tough process but would hate to have failed at the first hurdle by missing something obvious.
Any help or information from people's experiences would be great .

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

After reading alot about applying to be a driver on here I was expecting some kind of application form and away to sell myself in writing . However the application form I had to fill was just a few basic questions about my current salary , health and nationality then to attach a c.v and cover letter.
Does this seem about right or have a missed something vital?
It's my first application so I'm prepared for it to be a tough process but would hate to have failed at the first hurdle by missing something obvious.
Any help or information from people's experiences would be great .

Its seems that they have changed the process - I applied for one a couple of days ago and it was as you described and via the DB website. However the one I applied for several months back was via the Northern recruitment hub and was more detailed.

Choochoo_loco

Ok that makes me feel abit better. Hopefully they read my c.v and are happy enough to invite me for an interview then where I can sell myself abit more . Good luck for yours and thanks for your reply.

Ok that makes me feel abit better. Hopefully they read my c.v and are happy enough to invite me for an interview then where I can sell myself abit more . Good luck for yours and thanks for your reply.
You're welcome... and don't be concerned if you don't hear anything for a while (weeks at least) as they don't appear to be the speediest of the TOC's when it comes to recruitment. The other job I applied for was back in May and I've heard nothing since!

Choochoo_loco

If your unsuccessful do you hear about it or not . And yeah I've read on here about it taking around 3-4 weeks and some people as long as 3 months so not too concerned yet. Gives me more time to prepared for interview should I get the opportunity.

Established Member
Job site has been supposedly migrated to the central Arriva DB one, along with XC, but they failed to shut the Engage ATS one down.

Could just be an overlap to allow for those with applications in system A to pass through.

If your unsuccessful do you hear about it or not . And yeah I've read on here about it taking around 3-4 weeks and some people as long as 3 months so not too concerned yet. Gives me more time to prepared for interview should I get the opportunity.

Yes you'll hear if you are unsuccessful - it just might take a while!

NorvernRob

I applied in June via the engageats website, and the application form was so detailed I didn’t even bother with a CV. I heard back last week and I have an interview on the 23rd. This is for Sheffield btw.

RBSN

It's my first application so I'm prepared for it to be a tough process...

The recruitment process ramps up in terms of how tough it gets. The application is the easiest part to be honest.

Don’t worry if you don’t hear anything for a few months.

martin2345uk

Established Member

Surely a cover letter is exactly that - a way to sell yourself in writing?

Choochoo_loco

Yes probably . Maybe I should of included a bit more within my cover letter , I kept it fairly short and to the point as was expecting some more in depth questions towards the end of the application .
Just praying my c.v. Is strong enough to get me through the sifting now :(

NorvernRob

Had my DMI interview with Northern today, the interviewers were two really nice guys and made me feel really comfortable. When I left I thought I’d done really well, now I’m analysing it more I think my answers were probably too long and had too much rambling/details. Who knows though, fingers crossed!

martin2345uk

Established Member
Worst thing you can do is overanalyse your interview once you’re out! Only the interviewers know what they’re looking for so just try to be happy it’s over and that you did your best! Good luck!!

NorvernRob

Worst thing you can do is overanalyse your interview once you’re out! Only the interviewers know what they’re looking for so just try to be happy it’s over and that you did your best! Good luck!!

I know, but it’s hard not to when the waiting game starts! I missed a ‘result’ part from one of my answers which is annoying me, but I hope the rest were strong enough.

Had a really good chat with the interviewers at the end and they were really easy to talk to, so fingers crossed they think I’ve got the right skills as I’d love to get the nod.

This forum has been really helpful, and even if I’m not successful this time I’ll keep trying.

NorvernRob

Don't worry because what's done is done.

I wish you all the very best

Thanks! Strange how I’ve been in the same job for 21 years, still enjoy it (well I don’t hate it), and I’ve never applied for another until this one - but if I don’t get through I’ll be properly gutted. Today I’ve written down every question I was asked in the interview and marked myself on how good I think my answers were for each one :oops:

Kraken42

Hi

I have an interview, any idea what questions get asked? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

McBoatface

Yes probably . Maybe I should of included a bit more within my cover letter , I kept it fairly short and to the point as was expecting some more in depth questions towards the end of the application .
Just praying my c.v. Is strong enough to get me through the sifting now :(
===========
Yes i'm just looking now and the job questions bit seems to be missing, it skips from 3 to step 5 apply?
Also i didn't get the qualifications bit, does it really want every single GCSE typing in with dates, then the schools/institutions bit was separate? I can't see anywhere to request clarification on the db site..it's just a huge worldwide portal

RBSN

Also i didn't get the qualifications bit, does it really want every single GCSE typing in with dates, then the schools/institutions bit was separate? I can't see anywhere to request clarification on the db site..it's just a huge worldwide portal

Leave missing information at your peril

martin2345uk

Established Member
Well tomorrow is 2 weeks from when they sent me the email saying "Please allow us another 2 weeks to process applications" so we'll see, I am not expecting anything anytime soon however :)

GJL9916

Seems to be a lot of people at different stages of the process, some invited to assessments, some passed and invited back to stage 2, some had interviews and others heard nothing back at all from initial application? plus I see the jobs are still being advertised for? I cant imagine there's too many positions at each depot either?

Has anyone had a response after applying for Leeds or Sheffield?

I applied for Sheffield and Leeds Conductor jobs and got emails a few days later saying I passed the online assessments but don't have experience or skills for application to carry on

Railweigh

Don’t panic just yet guys.

I didn’t hear anything for months after I applied, then with 2 months of my first interview I was starting a course.

Last edited:

TheBadger

Or you could be me; hear nothing for 3 months and then it's 6 months between first interview and starting training.

The whole process will have taken just over 10 months.

Not what you want to hear but it really is a, "how long is a piece of string" question.

Aivilo

Its a mixed bag. I know of people that where literally rushed onto courses the week before they started.

Big thing is that they normally take on around 90 trainees but this latest drive is for over 400 so ive been told

Fred Dinenage

Some internals are still waiting to be released from their current roles to trainee mainline driver almost 1 year since passing interview with no end in sight for them. Not just people outside Northern who are at the mercy of HR / recruitment.

Status
Not open for further replies.