• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mix107

Hi can anyone help regarding Leeds depot for Northern as a driver. Thinking about transferring up north in the summer and applying here. Anyone tell me a bit about the links and roster. Is it 4/5 day with/without Sundays in the working week? Even better if someone could maybe email me a copy of the base roster you go in on.

What routes and traction do Leeds sign, I'm told the work is very varied and lots of traction signed?

Thanks in advance for any info

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Beveridges

Established Member
Sundays inside the working week. Unsure if its 4 or 5 day week. I think some weeks are 5 day some are 4 day. Leeds has loads of routes but it is very divided into many links which will kill a lot of the potential work variety. I'm sure someone else will be able to fill you in on the specifics. Traction will include 333s. I'm not sure if you will sign 156, 158 or 321 in a starter link though but you would almost certainly get 142/143/150/153/155/333. I work in the company but not at the location so can only give a brief overview. Someone else may be able to fill you in on the specifics.

Last edited:

Adam0984

Right typically drivers work a block of 6 then have minimum of 2 off. Traction is 142/144/150/153/155/158/321/333. Routes in the bottom link 3 consist of Triangle (Leeds/Bradford FS/Skipton/Ilkley), Man Vic, Selby, Huddersfield via Dewsbury and Bradford Int, Huddersfield to Wakefield Wgate, Knottingley including Knottingley to Wakefield Kgate, Man Vic via Bradford and Dewsbury, Neville Hill and Holbeck depots

Mix107

Thanks for the info guys. I work a 4 day week now with Sundays outside. So Sundays definitely in then and what is the wage for a driver after 1 years post qualifying or would you go in at the higher rate straight away, as I was led to believe Northern had a 3 tier pay scale?

Work and traction sound varied. What are the earliest starts and finishes then and are there night shifts at Leeds depot?

Thanks

Adam0984

Sundays defo in. Earliest I believe is 0353 latest finish I think is a smidge after 2am with 3 on night shifts per night. It is a 3 tier pay scale plus training wage before you get onto the 3 tiers

Mix107

Do you know what the pay is for 2nd and 3rd tier and when it comes up for each? Is Leeds generally a good depot to be at and do all qualified drivers go in on the lowest link? Is the sign on at Leeds station or at the depots? Thanks

ST

Hello all,

Can anyone give us an idea of what a shift pattern with Northern may look like?

Thanks in advance.

Beveridges

Established Member
Hello all,

Can anyone give us an idea of what a shift pattern with Northern may look like?

Thanks in advance.

It varies depending on the location and whether it's Mainline or MDD.

On West a typical mainline position is four 7 to 10 hr (avg 8 hr 45) per week alternating earlies and lates/nights every week, 3 days off per week. A typical MDD week is three 11 or 12 hr nights, 4 days off. Sundays optional for both.

Last edited:

ST

It varies depending on the location and whether it's Mainline or MDD.

On West a typical mainline position is four 7 to 10 hr (avg 8 hr 45) per week alternating earlies and lates/nights every week, 3 days off. A typical MDD week is three 11 or 12 hr nights, 4 days off. Sundays optional for both.

Much appreciate, thank you.

I was looking for some guidance on specifically Mainline Driver shift patterns out of the East i.e. Leeds.

Adam0984

Mainline Leeds drivers do maximum of 6 on and minimum of 2 off between blocks. Sundays are in working week shifts between 5 and 10 hours.

ST

Mainline Leeds drivers do maximum of 6 on and minimum of 2 off between blocks. Sundays are in working week shifts between 5 and 10 hours.

Cheers - now lets hope I make it through!

Silv1983

The pay tiers are for trainee drivers only. If you're transferring in as a qualified driver - then the pay I believe is about the £44.5k mark after 3 months. And as people have stated - Sunday is inside the working week.

Status
Not open for further replies.