• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern shortforming

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveM70

Established Member
So, Northern are chronically short of units, yet the number of shortforms showing on their journey check page is tiny most days.

I travel on the Calder valley route most days and there are noticeably more two carriage journeys than in the recent past. For example, I’m posting this whilst crammed into the doorway of the 1737 MCV - LDS (1654 ex Wigan I think) which is a single unrefurbished 158 whereas in the past it was normally 3 or 4 carriages. There’s no record on journey check of this trip being shortformed.

Are they deceiving the system by not declaring all the shortforms, or gaming it by amending the “normal” formation to 2 carriages?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jamesrob637

Established Member
08:00 Buxton to Piccadilly passed me as 2-car today with nothing on Journey Check so your point is fair and valid.

js1000

I personally use http://live-departures.info/rail/dppc on the mobile phone alongside Northern Journeycheck. From experience Journeycheck captures about 80% of the short-forms on my route but the remaining 20% are often not logged but are usually reflected on live-depatures.

warwickshire

On Moderation
Northern should have done a lot better in 142 prm management. Ie to keep a great ideal more and have all out in service with a prm unit. Its umnbelivale they have up to 6 to 10 off them still dependent on day for these being in either warm store heaton or at NH or Blackburn no allocation. Makes sense get them out.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Are they deceiving the system by not declaring all the shortforms, or gaming it by amending the “normal” formation to 2 carriages?
Short answer: yes. Until Feb 14th, the 16:37 Manchester to Rose Hill was booked 142+150. With the reduction in 142 diagrams, it's now a 150 on its own. Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.