• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern strike action suspended

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew Nelson

what on earth are you one about? As i have said, and will say for a final time, the role of guard is to secure the safety of the train. The pamphlet linked in the article you offered as "evidence" indicates there are 35 safety critical areas to keep the railway and travelling public safe. The guard also does many of the things show in that pamphlet in addition to those safety critical duties.

You see those additional tasks as the primary responsibility of the role. They aren't. The safety critical tasks are. Breaking up a fight is superb customer service. It is not safety critical. Dealing with flashers is not safety critical.

This really isnt a difficult concept.
I said passengers FEEL unsafe.

Are you pretending that the Union DIDN'T play on that falsehood, despite the fact they constantly harped on about it?

Do you not understand what the word SAFE means?

It certainly has nothing whatsoever about the technical competency of a member of staff, as probably less than 1 in 1,000 would even understand that.

The Unions want to pretend that trains without a second safety critical member of staff are in some way unsafe.

THAT is a downright lie.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lemmy99uk

I don't know - do you? Perhaps you could tell me how many of those c.30% of single manned trains run in rural, isolated areas with poor communications? How many run in towns and cities?

Is this relevant?
Have Northern indicated that they want to run isolated rural services DOO?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
And we're well and truly back to hashing out the same tired talking points on both sides. There seems little point to continuing at this time. Both sides have their views on DOO and neither side is ever, seemingly, going to change the mind of the other. This thread is therefore locked.

Once we have more news regarding Northern and the future role of Conductors please feel free to report this post and the Forum Staff will look at reopening the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.