• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern strike day compensation weirdness... or perhaps I'm just lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mathew S

Established Member
So, the last few months disruption on Northern hasn't, for me, been all bad. I had £100+ in compensation under their season ticket scheme last year; and also have been claiming religiously for all the delays, as well as for the RMT strike days on Saturdays.
Before Christmas, Northern were sending me 2 x complimentary return tickets for each journey I claimed for on a strike day. So that works out at two lots of 2 free return tickets every week (or four days free travel for every week I had a valid season ticket). Not a bad deal, frankly.

However, the first time I received compensation in 2019 (for strike days in December) I received 1 x complimentary single ticket for each journey, so the equivalent of one return trip each week. Now, when that happened I emailed Northern to say, "Ahem... what's this? You've sent me more than this in the past!" Their reply was that this is the correct level of compensation.

So, either I've been very lucky over the last few months or (and I know which I think) they've realised quite how much compensation for these days was costing them and reduced what they'll hand out.

Anyway, there we go. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
So, the last few months disruption on Northern hasn't, for me, been all bad. I had £100+ in compensation under their season ticket scheme last year; and also have been claiming religiously for all the delays, as well as for the RMT strike days on Saturdays.
Before Christmas, Northern were sending me 2 x complimentary return tickets for each journey I claimed for on a strike day. So that works out at two lots of 2 free return tickets every week (or four days free travel for every week I had a valid season ticket). Not a bad deal, frankly.

However, the first time I received compensation in 2019 (for strike days in December) I received 1 x complimentary single ticket for each journey, so the equivalent of one return trip each week. Now, when that happened I emailed Northern to say, "Ahem... what's this? You've sent me more than this in the past!" Their reply was that this is the correct level of compensation.

So, either I've been very lucky over the last few months or (and I know which I think) they've realised quite how much compensation for these days was costing them and reduced what they'll hand out.

Anyway, there we go. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
It depends on the delay to your journey. If the delay was 60-119 minutes, you're entitled to 1 complimentary return ticket. For 120+ minutes, it's 2 of those. If it's 30-59 minutes, you only get 1 single ticket.

Mathew S

Established Member
It depends on the delay to your journey. If the delay was 60-119 minutes, you're entitled to 1 complimentary return ticket. For 120+ minutes, it's 2 of those. If it's 30-59 minutes, you only get 1 single ticket.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. Although Northern insist that this compensation is claimed through the Delay Repay system it isn't (strictky speaking) delay repay compensation. Rather, it is compensation to season ticket holders who can't / decide not to travel on the strike days.

Smidster

From the FAQ on the website I think you should be getting the 2 tickets

When claiming for a day when you were unable to use your ticket due to industrial action, please ensure you input that the length of your delay as 02:00. Please note that you cannot claim for compensation in advance. Please note, customers with season tickets cannot claim compensation before the strike days.

They are advising people to say the delay was 2 hours which would be in the highest bracket.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Sorry, I wasn't clear. Although Northern insist that this compensation is claimed through the Delay Repay system it isn't (strictky speaking) delay repay compensation. Rather, it is compensation to season ticket holders who can't / decide not to travel on the strike days.
Ah, well that then is discretionary, and so they can modify it as they see fit. (Though of course if you are not satisfied by it you could raise a complaint which you could ultimately escalate to the Rail Ombudsman or to the County Court if it became necessary)

Mathew S

Established Member
Though of course if you are not satisfied by it you could raise a complaint which you could ultimately escalate to the Rail Ombudsman
Now there's a thought. Would be interesting to see what their attitude is, though I have to say I wouldn't hold my breath

robbeech

Established Member
I don’t think the ombudsman would want to get tooheavily involved with a case where discretionary compensation is paid. If you are actually delayed then you should be entitled to the compensation stated. If you’re putting in a claim for season ticket compensation when you don’t actually travel (which you are entitled to do as they encourage this) then I think you will just have to live with what they offer you. You may find that you need to travel more on Saturdays from now on.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Ah, well that then is discretionary, and so they can modify it as they see fit.
I wouldn't term it as "discretionary".

Their website is very clear:
Eligible season ticket holders* can claim a compensation payment to the proportional value of the daily price of their ticket if they decide not to travel.

If they chose to charge people for seaon tickets at the full price, while cancelling at late notice the majority of / all trains on one day in seven (one day in six on some routes) but then decided to withdraw the provision quoted above, they could expect to receive a large number of claims from people who rightly say they've paid for travel on the understanding it would be provided, then not had it provided and also not given a refund. Obvious breach of contract.

Now, they make special provision in their 'Customer Promise' to pay claims in a variety of ways. It could be that this could be read across to these strike day claims in addition, and it could be that it could not. An expert opinion would probably be required.

What is obvious though is that the cash daily rate for each strike day is due in compensation. Perhaps the OP could claim that for a period instead, if they've got sufficient free tickets for their current need?

I don’t think the ombudsman would want to get tooheavily involved with a case where discretionary compensation is paid.
Perhaps. But I think it is clear that while the method of compensation might be discretionary, there is a clear entitlement to something.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.