• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Strike Ticket Acceptance

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Taylor

Hi, for days when Industrial action is taking place on Northern what services are taking Northern tickets and will this include the £10 anywhere ticket?
Also am I correct at thinking Arriva buses are accepting tickets on buses that go near a railway station?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bunnahabhain

Established Member
EMT are accepting Northern Advance Single tickets only, not the Route: Northern Only walkup tickets.

janb

The basic theory is,

Northern Advance accepted on CC/EMT/TPE/GC/HT/LNER/TFW/VWC
Northern Only walk up fares not accepted by any other operator

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
The basic theory is,

Northern Advance accepted on CC/EMT/TPE/GC/HT/LNER/TFW/VWC
Northern Only walk up fares not accepted by any other operator
I'm not sure of the basis for other operators refusing to accept Northern Only walk-up tickets. Where there are alternative non-Northern services (but no Northern services), the other operators are under an obligation to accept them, under NRCoT 28.2.

It's a shame we don't have a regulator to speak of. A good regulator would be taking steps to ensure that passengers aren't stranded.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
I'm not sure of the basis for other operators refusing to accept Northern Only walk-up tickets. Where there are alternative non-Northern services (but no Northern services), the other operators are under an obligation to accept them, under NRCoT 28.2.

It's a shame we don't have a regulator to speak of. A good regulator would be taking steps to ensure that passengers aren't stranded.
28.2. Where disruption prevents you from completing the journey for which your ticket
is valid and is being used, any Train Company will, where it reasonably can, provide
you with alternative means of travel to your destination, or if necessary provide
overnight accommodation for you.

28.2 relates to disruption, such as a line closure for example. If that were enforceable in these circumstances (it isn't its a preplanned withdrawal of labour) then you would be able to expect Northern to provide you with a rail replacement bus or a train service. As a Northern Only ticket is a contract ONLY with Northern then the onus isn't on other operators to get you from A to B unless you actually pay them by purchasing the normally priced ticket.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
28.2 relates to disruption, such as a line closure for example. If that were enforceable in these circumstances (it isn't its a preplanned withdrawal of labour) then you would be able to expect Northern to provide you with a rail replacement bus or a train service. As a Northern Only ticket is a contract ONLY with Northern then the onus isn't on other operators to get you from A to B unless you actually pay them by purchasing the normally priced ticket.

Presumably it's also to prevent people buying cheaper Northern Only tickets on the day and using them on VT etc.

I've certainly done similar when I have been aware of acceptance to save a quid or three. It's sort of a loophole.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Presumably it's also to prevent people buying cheaper Northern Only tickets on the day and using them on VT etc.

I've certainly done similar when I have been aware of acceptance to save a quid or three. It's sort of a loophole.
Probably so. Personally I utterly detest the whole principle of a TOC only walk up fare, especially where the difference in service level, speed, route, etc is negligible. I can understand for example the difference between an LNWR and VT Only between Birmingham and Euston, but arguably they should have a properly different name. Virgin Single, Virgin Return, etc. Too many people just see "Anytime Day Return", buy it, then get charged again onboard.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
How is a strike not disruption? It clearly disrupts peoples' journeys. I would understand if acceptance were limited to where there is no Northern service but there is a service by another TOC. But simply providing nothing at all is just unacceptable.

The fact that 28.2 refers to 'any' train company suggests that actually, even a TOC-only ticket is a contract with all the listed TOCs - just that, in ordinary circumstances, the portion with the other TOCs doesn't come into operation.

Shrewbly

Also am I correct at thinking Arriva buses are accepting tickets on buses that go near a railway station?

The bus acceptance was definitely on the NT website a few weeks ago. Three of us subsequently used the tickets on the Arriva bus between Newcastle and Morpeth. Although the bus driver said he'd not heard anything about accepting rail tickets, he did allow us to travel using them.

janb

The bus acceptance was definitely on the NT website a few weeks ago. Three of us subsequently used the tickets on the Arriva bus between Newcastle and Morpeth. Although the bus driver said he'd not heard anything about accepting rail tickets, he did allow us to travel using them.

https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/strike/bus
As Northern is part of Arriva, Northern customers will be able to use their rail tickets on Arriva Bus services (including Yorkshire Tiger) on 22 and 29 December to make journeys they would otherwise have made by rail.

To find out more about Arriva Bus timetables, please use the Arriva Bus Journey Planner.

You can also download the Arriva Bus Journey planning app from all major app providers.

bunnahabhain

Established Member
How is a strike not disruption? It clearly disrupts peoples' journeys. I would understand if acceptance were limited to where there is no Northern service but there is a service by another TOC. But simply providing nothing at all is just unacceptable.

The fact that 28.2 refers to 'any' train company suggests that actually, even a TOC-only ticket is a contract with all the listed TOCs - just that, in ordinary circumstances, the portion with the other TOCs doesn't come into operation.
It may well disrupt journeys, but it isn't disruption and the other companies aren't obliged to carry people around who wish to save a couple of quid. Just like you can't use your Tesco vouchers in Sainsburys if Tesco is shut for the day.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
It may well disrupt journeys, but it isn't disruption and the other companies aren't obliged to carry people around who wish to save a couple of quid. Just like you can't use your Tesco vouchers in Sainsburys if Tesco is shut for the day.
I won't get into analogies, but this statement seems to be self-eminently incongruous!
It may well disrupt journeys, but it isn't disruption

Status
Not open for further replies.