• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern talent pool 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

How long from the initial application before you heard anything about the next steps? The Sheffield job I applied for closed on 20th August, but not heard anything yet, the portal just shows application is still under consideration. I keep checking my emails and the portal a few times a day as Im scared of missing an email.
Good luck to all of you who start your training courses this year

InkyScrolls

How long from the initial application before you heard anything about the next steps? The Sheffield job I applied for closed on 20th August, but not heard anything yet, the portal just shows application is still under consideration. I keep checking my emails and the portal a few times a day as Im scared of missing an email.
Good luck to all of you who start your training courses this year
Don't be put off. If you've not heard back yet that's generally a positive sign - you've not been discounted immediately under a technicality (like Google saying you live 46 minutes away). It can take months before you hear back.
  • I applied in December '22
  • Was 'under consideration' from about a week later
  • Didn't hear anything until June, when I was told I'd been invited to interview
  • Had interview in mid-July, was told I'd passed two days later
  • Psychometrics at the end of July, told immediately I'd passed
  • Officially entered talent pool early August
  • Given start date at the end of August
  • Will be starting at the end of November
It's a long process! Don't give in - and if you live near enough to other depots, apply for those as well. There's no harm in having multiple applications ongoing in the early stages.

Don't be put off. If you've not heard back yet that's generally a positive sign - you've not been discounted immediately under a technicality (like Google saying you live 46 minutes away). It can take months before you hear back.
  • I applied in December '22
  • Was 'under consideration' from about a week later
  • Didn't hear anything until June, when I was told I'd been invited to interview
  • Had interview in mid-July, was told I'd passed two days later
  • Psychometrics at the end of July, told immediately I'd passed
  • Officially entered talent pool early August
  • Given start date at the end of August
  • Will be starting at the end of November
It's a long process! Don't give in - and if you live near enough to other depots, apply for those as well. There's no harm in having multiple applications ongoing in the early stages.
Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to me, it gives me confidence that I'm still in the running. Hopefully I tick many of the boxes as I'm close enough to Leeds and Sheffield (applied for Sheffield), and I have a pilots licence, so the medical side of it, rule learning, concentration etc are all skill which hopefully transfer over

DJG193

Has anyone else received the email about giving medicals to those in the talent pool? I was required to return a form and have received a reply that they would be in touch about a medical in the coming few weeks. Not sure if this is progress cause the email is explicit that this is to speed things up and no course has been allocated and they have decided to give all in the talent pool a medical.

LokiB

Has anyone else received the email about giving medicals to those in the talent pool? I was required to return a form and have received a reply that they would be in touch about a medical in the coming few weeks. Not sure if this is progress cause the email is explicit that this is to speed things up and no course has been allocated and they have decided to give all in the talent pool a medical.
That looks like a positive step for you, they don't tend to give medical dates out without a start date planned.
I'm in the pool and not heard anything about medicals or anything else tbh.

banksywhoshe

Where are you for? I’ve my medical on Monday

DJG193

That looks like a positive step for you, they don't tend to give medical dates out without a start date planned.
I'm in the pool and not heard anything about medicals or anything else tbh.
I have received a medical date next month now, with the same email about no start date. Im not sure if this is how it's always done?? I was of the belief it was start date first then medical?? Hopefully those who have been through this part may be able to share their experience.

Where are you for? I’ve my medical on Monday
Manchester

banksywhoshe

Ahhh cool. I’m northern already but got my provisional school date (medical pending) of 09/10/23, though someone else who’s already staff has their school date of 02/10/23 so we are gutted we aren’t together.
You won’t need hotels and stuff to be Manchester?? I’m looking at 10 weeks away from home

You usually don’t get a full job offer until passing medical so not sure what that crack is about school dates. They might mention it for notice periods etc, but usually wait for medicals before full offers

DJG193

Ahhh cool. I’m northern already but got my provisional school date (medical pending) of 09/10/23, though someone else who’s already staff has their school date of 02/10/23 so we are gutted we aren’t together.
You won’t need hotels and stuff to be Manchester?? I’m looking at 10 weeks away from home

You usually don’t get a full job offer until passing medical so not sure what that crack is about school dates. They might mention it for notice periods etc, but usually wait for medicals before full offers
This makes sense now. I was told priority was given for internal passes then applicants next.

I had kind of decided to accept judging on others that a start date would be a while off, and this may still be the case but this whole medical situation has threw me off. I think psychometric pass email said, a provisional course date would be given before a medical. However, they have been clear that they are getting people through medicals without dates so it's easier once there is availability. I just wasn't sure if this was part of the old generic email situation and everyone gets the same, but it appears not.

I have only been waiting a short while so compared to others I can class myself lucky that something is happening.

LokiB

Interesting that there are 2 courses starting in October. I knew about the 9th as a friend is on that one but didn't know about the 2nd.

This makes sense now. I was told priority was given for internal passes then applicants next.

That's definitely not the case and in certain situations can go against the internal candidate. If their job role is understaffed they may be a delay in releasing them duty or may not get released at all.

Last edited:

banksywhoshe

There should be a few more because they are wanting people trained by Christmas.
yeah I find it weird there’s two close together, one set of dates might be for Leeds maybe.
I’ve been told I’ll be sent to Manchester this time.
I trained in Leeds last time but I’m closer to Manchester.

GPR

Banksywhoshe, your course date is for depot driving isn’t it?

The people commenting in here seem to be for mainline.

GPR

Thanks, came out of it, cried and went back home felt absolutely lost for days. I really have got the better idea for next time though
You’ll definitely have an idea for next time.
The psychometrics anybody can fail on the day.
Even depot drivers have passed their psychometrics, done the job for 5+ years, applied for mainline and their psychometrics have expired so have to do them again. Only to then fail.

banksywhoshe

Yeah really looking forward to it! Revenue isn’t what it used to be and think I’ve definitely used it as a stepping stone. Loved having minimal responsibility tho. Just wondering if I get full new uniform allowance now

LokiB

Yeah really looking forward to it! Revenue isn’t what it used to be and think I’ve definitely used it as a stepping stone. Loved having minimal responsibility tho. Just wondering if I get full new uniform allowance now
Just do your doors correctly and the rest of the job is nice and straightforward. Your training will prepare you for the out of course situations which are thankfully quite rare.
As you're revenue now you know what to expect on that front so nothing to worry about there and guards have a bit more flexibility so you'll find it more enjoyable.
Are you training in Leeds or Manchester?
Drop me a dm if you need to ask any questions.

banksywhoshe

I’m being sent to Leeds and a bit gutted about it because I was originally told manchester and that’s easier for me but it is what it is! Thanks so much Loki!

LokiB

I’m being sent to Leeds and a bit gutted about it because I was originally told manchester and that’s easier for me but it is what it is! Thanks so much Loki!
You'll enjoy it at Leeds. All the trainers there are spot on.

Status
Not open for further replies.