• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern Ticket sales. Random offerings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thejuggler

I and 7 colleagues too a trip to York yesterday, 6 of us travelled from West Yorkshire,
and the ticket sales were interesting. We all left around 10am to meet in Leeds for about 10.30.

I used a machine at New Pudsey. Off peak day return. No restriction.
Colleague used a machine at Apperley Bridge. Off peak day return. Northern service only.
Ticket office at Keighley. No restriction
On train from Batley no restriction
Trainline app. No restriction.
Off peak with senior railcard from Steeton. Northern restriction.

None of us chose the particular Northern restriction as we weren't aware of it, so why the randomness?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
Given that New Pudsey has a direct Northern service to York, it is odd that the Northern only fare didn't show up as default on the TVM - maybe simply how the machine is programmed?

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I and 7 colleagues too a trip to York yesterday, 6 of us travelled from West Yorkshire,
and the ticket sales were interesting. We all left around 10am to meet in Leeds for about 10.30.

I used a machine at New Pudsey. Off peak day return. No restriction.
Colleague used a machine at Apperley Bridge. Off peak day return. Northern service only.
Ticket office at Keighley. No restriction
On train from Batley no restriction
Trainline app. No restriction.
Off peak with senior railcard from Steeton. Northern restriction.

None of us chose the particular Northern restriction as we weren't aware of it, so why the randomness?

Not sure of it it's still the same, but last time I bought a ticket to York from Keighley TVM, I selected the any operator off-peak return. A box flashed up telling me there was a cheaper return and did I want to change to it. It was not clear that it would restrict me to Northern trains only (and was not much cheaper) - but fortunately I'd looked fares up beforehand and knew which it was. I've seen a guard on train accidentally issue that ticket too as the restrictions didn't show up on their machine until it was printed (good job they were alert!).

Status
Not open for further replies.