• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

skyhigh

Established Member
That is exactly what I have found they will all be fine with me showing my railcard and paying for ticket on train so I’m a bit concerned if I ever do meet one of these revenue officers would they let me pay for ticket as I normally do or would they automatically give me penalty fare?
As Bridlington has both a ticket office and a ticket machine you must purchase a ticket before you board - unless both the ticket office is closed and the machine is out of order. If the ticket office is closed and you wish to pay with cash, or the machine does not sell the ticket required, you must obtain a 'promise to pay' from the ticket machine. If both are in operation and you don't purchase a ticket, you are risking a penalty fare.

Arriving with insufficient time to purchase a ticket is not a valid excuse. As the TVMs have been out of order conductors and revenue officers are currently being more lenient on board, but in the near future on board ticket sales will be tightened up when you've passed a working opportunity to pay.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
I still think the wording should be edited a little to the reflect the fact that only being unable to use the facilities at the fault of the operator is included.

.............. including scheduling the departure too early to enable buying a ticket! ;)

ricoblade

I regularly use northern trains from Bridlington to hull and have noticed a few times when I’ve not managed to get a ticket before getting train the conductor says I should get ticket before getting train yet they never used to say anything.

I’m not saying they are wrong to it obviously makes sense so people don’t get away with not paying. I only get train with no ticket if I’m late for train so wouldn’t have time to get ticket then get train.

Ive had one conductor mention I need to get ticket before getting train another said I couldn’t use my disabled railcard on train but then let me when I told them I have used it on train other times with no problem.

Today the ticket office was closed so I had to get train with no ticket and before we set off there was an announcement saying penalty fares are in operation for anyone without a ticket but conductor let me buy ticket on train as I told him the ticket office was closed.

He knew as he said it had just reopened but obviously it would have meant missing that train so he let me buy ticket on train.

So I’m wondering if northern are starting with penalty fares?

It's certainly not consistent. I travelled from on that line Filey to Bempton the other week. There were big signs, including on the TVM, about buying before you board, however the guard happily sold tickets to people who boarded at Filey.

island

Veteran Member
It's certainly not consistent. I travelled from on that line Filey to Bempton the other week. There were big signs, including on the TVM, about buying before you board, however the guard happily sold tickets to people who boarded at Filey.
Unfortunately this sort of thing critically undermines the functioning of a penalty fare scheme by giving mixed messages.

Kmo86

Unfortunately this sort of thing critically undermines the functioning of a penalty fare scheme by giving mixed messages.
Yea exactly it doesn’t seem fair that people can buy tickets on train but other times they get a penalty fare for it. Either let people buy tickets on trains or don’t not most of time let them but odd time give penalty fare. It would make sense to use barriers or have guards checking tickets when people get on trains. As I’ve noticed on trains that stop at different stations guards will go down train calling for tickets from wherever last stop was and just pass anyone not showing ticket when they don’t know if that person just got on, been on all time or just trying to avoid paying for ticket.

kieron

Established Member
My god, only Northern could "highlight" something in grey! I've never seen such a pathetic attempt to highlight something in my life, where do they get the managers from who sign-off such terrible publications?
TfW Rail do, for one. They even use different shades of grey. At least they only use it for the language.

The PDF viewer I use (MuPDF) has an "invert colours" command. If I do that I only need to distinguish between white-on-black and grey-on-black.

Status
Not open for further replies.