• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Northern - Trainee Driver - Leeds & Carlisle (02/12/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Newapplicant

Thank you for the heads up, just thrown my hat back into the bag for Leeds again after failing my psychometric testing last time. Here's hoping for this time!

Barlos1973

Perhaps they remembered you!
Well I applied for the post in Sheffield, but have a home in West Yorkshire also. Told them if it was OK and the HR personal said yeah as long as I could bring document evidence if selected. However got feedback today from the failed interview and it states apply again after 6 months.
So yeah, looks like someone made a mistake and they remembered me

Sly Sloth

They get thousands of applications! If they had remembered you then you’d have got through beca you must have done a hell of an application!!!!

Barlos1973

They get thousands of applications! If they had remembered you then you’d have got through beca you must have done a hell of an application!!!!

My application was spot on, and I don't think I could get it better. On paper I met every single criteria easily. Based on that I was quietly expecting to make it to the next round like like last time.
Just wondering after getting feedback for the other post it did state apply again in 6 months, so maybe they have a system where they can check if the same person applies again within the 6 months. This role came up just a month after I fluffed the interview

Sly Sloth

That's what I was thinking. Anyway I hope that was the case as I thought my application was spot on as previously
You could send in the same application 20 times and only get through once. They look for all sorts when they do the initial sift. If you’re internal then a prompt from your line manager could work a treat! If your external they might prioritise a particular demographic. These sifts tend to get outsourced as resource departments don’t have the manpower to do it internally. They will be advised what terms and phrases they are looking for and if they should prioritise certain applications over others. Getting through the initial stages is certainly out of your hands to a certain degree

uww11x

I received application ended from them. They usually say unsuccessful. Does anyone know what application ended means and how that differs to unsuccessful

LokiB

I received application ended from them. They usually say unsuccessful. Does anyone know what application ended means and how that differs to unsuccessful
Yeah strange one, usually says application unsuccessful if you've not made the sift or vacancy closed if they pull the job.

Newapplicant

Are you within the required 60 minutes from your home to the station in question - I only as I had a similar situation a couple of years ago and when I reached out to the HR team that's what they said was the case.

uww11x

Are you within the required 60 minutes from your home to the station in question - I only as I had a similar situation a couple of years ago and when I reached out to the HR team that's what they said was the case.
5 minutes away from the Station, yes!

eastersunday

"Salary: £23,576 per annum rising to £40,738 per annum on completion of training (approx 12 months) and rising to £44,952 in Year 2 of driving then rising to £54,500 when fully qualified. You’ll spend your first 16 weeks taking part in classroom based learning in either Leeds or Manchester, followed by a minimum of 2 years training in our depot with our full support as you develop your skills."

This seems like a very long time to complete driver training which is usually 12-18 months. Am I right in thinking this is implying that driver training will take over 2 years before being allowed to drive solo? Because it contradicts itself by saying £44,952 in year 2 of driving, so year 1 of driving must be £40,738, which means you must already be driving solo at this point after the initial 12 months of training?

Could someone clarify this please?

Sly Sloth

It’s the new system they want to impose on all tocs within the current pay offer….
Training wage until you’re qualified to drive solo £23K
1st year driving solo £40K
2nd year driving £44K
3rd year+ £54K

Lilla

I think 23k is so outdated and unliveable for 12 months and with other TOCs at least you get more of a bump when you finish the classroom training.

Driver068

This seems like a very long time to complete driver training which is usually 12-18 months. Am I right in thinking this is implying that driver training will take over 2 years before being allowed to drive solo? Because it contradicts itself by saying £44,952 in year 2 of driving, so year 1 of driving must be £40,738, which means you must already be driving solo at this point after the initial 12 months of training?

Could someone clarify this please?
Dont get hung up and the 12-18 months part. Thats mainly aimed towards your apprenticeship reviews and progress some what.
How it will work is when you've cometed training school, as mentioned 16 weeks, you will then return to your home depot. On doing so you will under go traction conversions, core route briefs then drive time with a DTM. The time line for this can depend on depot and DTM availability, some depots i know it can take a matter of weeks. After that you will then be assigned a Mentor. You will under go practical handling over approx 4 months - depot, mentor availability and annual leave depending. After that you will be expected to sign off your core route. On doing so, from that point forward you can drive solo - Id say about 12 months, maybe less. After tgat you'll have other routes to sign off but you'll road learn with a variation of drivers depending on whos driving what routeon that particular day.

How it is meant to work with pay is after 12 months, its expected you will become a qualified driver. Every anniversary from that date you will go up a pay increment for 2 years after. However due to covid this was out of sync so some drivers went 12 months and still were not qualified. So whats happened the company agreed to pay you your increment level after 12 months of your start date. Some depots are massivly behimd the cure after recovering from covid, not enough DTMs and Mentors were also the influx of trainees has slowed things down a little.

I think 23k is so outdated and unliveable for 12 months and with other TOCs at least you get more of a bump when you finish the classroom training.
There's no bump up in pay after classroom training. Its only when you have completed theory based in classroom and then practical handling (200+ hours) at home depot once completed your assessments with a DTM

CreamNCookies

You'll hit the year one salary increase after one year in the job if you are delayed in training due to no fault of your own.

eastersunday

Please can anyone give an insight as to what a typical roster for a Northern driver at Leeds might look like? And does anyone know what the t&c are like... annual leave etc? I know Sunday's are inside the working week!

cazza0811

I applied back in December, after a few of the “your application is being screened” emails I have an interview coming up for the position. If I pass that then it’s Psychometrics. Having never done psychometrics for driver that’s the thing I’m most nervous about but we’ll see how we go!

I applied back in December, after a few of the “your application is being screened” emails I have an interview coming up for the position. If I pass that then it’s Psychometrics. Having never done psychometrics for driver that’s the thing I’m most nervous about but we’ll see how we go!
The best thing you can do in regards to taking the psychometric exams is be calm, listen and ask if you’re not 100% sure.

You only have 2 attempts so if you’re not quite sure about any expects of the exams speak up. The exam team are always willing to help

eastersunday

Please can anyone give an insight as to what a typical roster for a Northern driver at Leeds might look like? And does anyone know what the t&c are like... annual leave etc? I know Sunday's are inside the working week!
If anybody could provide some insight to this would be great. And what routes do the Leeds drivers cover?

WF4HA5HE

If anybody could provide some insight to this would be great. And what routes do the Leeds drivers cover?
Don't known if this will help but this is a freedom of information request to Northern asking for a list of what traction and routes drivers sign from each depot which they provided.

Link 1 (top link)

Carlisle
Blackpool
Nottingham
Doncaster
York mainline
York via Harrogate
Knottingley
Goole
Manchester Victoria via Bradford
Manchester Victoria via Elland
Bradford Forster Square
Ilkley
Skipton
Huddersfield via Bradford
Sheffield via Barnsley
Sheffield via Moorthorp

Possibly missed some off (I’m not in Link 1 and some drivers remove certain routes when they get to Link 1, some don’t)

Link 2A

Blackpool
York mainline
Goole
Manchester via Bradford
Manchester via Elland
Knottingley
Skipton
Bradford Forster Square
Ilkley

Link 2B

Doncaster
Harrogate
York Mainline
Knottingley
Manchester via Elland
Skipton
Bradford Forster Square
Ilkley

Link 2C

Blackpool
York Mainline
Sheffield (both ways)
Knottingley
Skipton
Bradford Forster Square
Ilkley

2D

Nottingham
York Mainline
Sheffield both ways
Knottingley
Skipton
Bradford Forster Square
Ilkley

Link 3

York Mainline
Skipton
Bradford Forster Square
Ilkley

Last edited:

eastersunday

Link 1 (top link)

Carlisle
Blackpool
Nottingham
Doncaster
York mainline
York via Harrogate
Knottingley
Goole
Bradford Forster Square
Ilkley
Skipton
Sheffield via Barnsley
Sheffield via Moorthorp

Possibly missed some off (I’m not in Link 1 and some drivers remove certain routes when they get to Link 1, some don’t)

Link 2A

Blackpool
York mainline
Goole
Manchester via Bradford
Manchester via Elland
Knottingley
Skipton
Bradford Forster Square
Ilkley

Link 2B

Doncaster
Harrogate
York Mainline
Knottingley
Manchester via Elland
Skipton
Bradford Forster Square
Ilkley

Link 2C

Blackpool
York Mainline
Sheffield (both ways)
Knottingley
Skipton
Bradford Forster Square
Ilkley

2D

Nottingham
York Mainline
Sheffield both ways
Knottingley
Skipton
Bradford Forster Square
Ilkley

Link 3

York Mainline
Skipton
Bradford Forster Square
Ilkley
Thank you for this :)

New!

Did you pass? And if so, have you yet been placed on a course ?

Status
Not open for further replies.